Air Cleaner Decals

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
I can find no pictures of proper placement for this kit.

So I thought I was buying the correct kit since it is advertised for the Boss 351.  It also says Ram- Air system and Premium Fuel Only.  Apparently it was to be exclusive for the Boss 351 according to the Mustang Restoration Guide.

Now that I look at all the shots on line hey have that Autolite sticker with the element sticker combined on everything.  I can find no reference to how this is applied.  I do have the Jim Osborne Manuals, but not one that shows air cleaner decals.

kcmash

I’ve seen those stickers before but I couldn’t find them on any 71-73 Mustangs. I bought some sets of these decals and ended up with quite a few left over. Maybe some are for different cars? The one thing that they really screwed up is the air cleaner lid decals. They don’t have the correct arc, so they don’t really even fit. It’s ridiculous how much aftermarket stuff is just not right. I mean how hard could that be to get the right arc?

The CJ chrome air cleaner got the decal that says 351 CJ the one you have on the air cleaner laying there is for 73 after the CJ was dropped and said 351 4-V.  

Yes it is crazy that they get the arch wrong. Osborne is the one making them or getting them made. 

I see lots of people put the wrong year sticker on for earlier ram air also. 

I am not a boss person do not know what is right or wrong on them. As far as I know no regular mustangs had any stickers on the lid of the ram air.

The CJ chrome air cleaner got the decal that says 351 CJ the one you have on the air cleaner laying there is for 73 after the CJ was dropped and said 351 4-V.  

Yes it is crazy that they get the arch wrong. Osborne is the one making them or getting them made. 

I see lots of people put the wrong year sticker on for earlier ram air also. 

I am not a boss person do not know what is right or wrong on them. As far as I know no regular mustangs had any stickers on the lid of the ram air.
Sorry, but that’s not correct. They stared putting the 4v decals on the 72 lids sometime in mid January. I have an original lid with the original factory sticker on it. Here’s a pic of it. My car was built on 2-2-72. I have both of the repo decals just to see if either one fit.

I also put the Autolite decal on the base, which I know is wrong, but I think it looks good. Those were from 71 I believe. sticke

Yes it did change during the 72 model run if you get your Marti report it will tell you which came in your car it will say either 351 CJ or 351-4V. I have 72 Q CJ vert would have to look at the marti for it to see date of build but it does say CJ on the Marti. 

It gets crazy in some of the Ford reference materials. The Ford published manuals for 1973 list CJ and HO engines in them but never had them. Lots of people argue that their 73 has a CJ engine because the manuals list them. Hemmings even made that argument in an article. The window stickers and Marti will not have CJ on any 73. 

Did the late 72 have the smaller intake valves like the 73 or did they just change the name to 4-V and valves same a CJ? Cam different also I think would have to look at manual.

I found a copy of the Marti for my 72 Q code vert. It was built March 1, 1972 and is stated as a 351 CJ on the Marti. See attached.

So as usual there is not a drop dead date for the CJ I guess. The car did get it's VIN# assigned February 11, 1972 which is when all the orders are place for the options. Then they have to wait for them to come in to actually do the build.

2F03Q178729_dlxrpt.pdf

Attachments

• 2F03Q178729_dlxrpt.pdf
    378.7 KB · Views: 10
I was looking at some of the Marti reports posted on here and found a few that say CJ with build dates later than your 72 vert. All the ones from 73 just say V8.

Pretty sure the 72 heads didn’t change. I bet they had to be really strict about any changes to the engine. If there were any, then they would have to do emissions testing and they didn’t have enough time for the 4v cars to get the ram air. So I kinda doubt that they did that.

Sorry kcmach, didn’t mean to hi jack your thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back