Headliner Trim Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
Getting ready to install my headliner and have begun removing the front trim and the side trim. When I got my car, there was no headliner and the interior was all but stripped out so my question is:  Is there molding of some type that goes at the rear of the headliner? I have the front trim and both side trim pieces but nothing in the rear. I have read other posts here that refer to the trim as a "halo" so that tells me there should be a rear trim piece. If there is one, does anyone have a pic? Thanks all.

Tom

The headliner is held in place, at the rear, by the rear window weather-stripping. The headliner is folded around the pinch weld and then the weather-stripping goes over the headliner and pinch weld.

To install the headliner the windshield and rear glass needs to be out. If fold down the trim across the very back above the trap door has to go back on before glass goes in. The roof rails also have to come off. 

Replacing the headliner becomes a growing snowball for sure. One thing leads to another. When the windows come out might be rust in the channel and it grows more.

The links in this thread don’t seem to work anymore, this is what my headliner looks like as it meets the rear window. Is this salvageable? If I were to remove the rear glass could I tuck the headliner back in? It’s in very good shape other than where it meets the rear window. 

24F4B149-E5AC-463A-8E98-51753ABEE0B7.jpeg

The headliner should actually be under the rear window gasket wrapped around the pinch weld as noted earlier by Don.  I would try to push it under the rubber gasket before pulling the rear window.  I would try to pull it back in the center and will holding it there work each side outwards.  If you can get it to tuck under it I would use some type  of contact cement or other adhesive to hold it.

Although pulling the rear window is not the hardest thing to do it will require a new gasket along with sealant to replace and a couple of hours of work.  You also stand the chance of it breaking during the process or it leaking after you get re-installed.    

The headliner should actually be under the rear window gasket wrapped around the pinch weld as noted earlier by Don.  I would try to push it under the rubber gasket before pulling the rear window.  I would try to pull it back in the center and will holding it there work each side outwards.  If you can get it to tuck under it I would use some type  of contact cement or other adhesive to hold it.

Although pulling the rear window is not the hardest thing to do it will require a new gasket along with sealant to replace and a couple of hours of work.  You also stand the chance of it breaking during the process or it leaking after you get re-installed.    
So you think I could try and "stuff it" back under that weather stripping with a putty knife or something?

So you think I could try and "stuff it" back under that weather stripping with a putty knife or something?
It would be worth the try. I would use a soft plastic putty knife so it would less likely to tear the headliner.  I would try a section first and if it seems to be working okay I would pull it back out and put some type of adhesive on it and then redo it.    

I am thinking that someone put a headliner in and did not remove the windows and just tried to glue it to window frame.
You can remove the rear window without cutting the rubber seal if it is not cracked or really hard. They make windshield tools to curl the rubber corner of the seal into the opening while you push on the window from inside. What will break the glass is a metal tool chipping the edge and then they will crack.
If the seal is old just remove the aluminum trim with the proper tool and then cut the rubber with a razor knife and then take the glass out.
Look for a Daniel Carpenter replacement seal and also use his rubber seal for the roof rail.
If the end of the headliner is cut short you will have to replace for sure. That means windshield out, back glass out and roof rails off so you can put headliner in. Probably take seats out to give you room to work. Not an easy job might make it a winter task.
If you do remove everything do not use the foam tape on the rear glass or roof rail it does not work. Use 3-M #08509 Auto Bedding& Glazing Compound. It is made for rubber seals and use only a tiny amount in the channel for the glass and then after you pull the window in have someone lift the edge of the gasket with a plastic trim tool and put a tiny bead around the outer edge and will never leak.
Use the 3-M urethane windshield strips for windshield and 3-M strip calk for the roof rail. You should find info on the forum.

Back