What will you get your car for Xmas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be branching out a 400V connection in my garage for future use (possibly a spot welder). Got the socket today and the fuse box is on its way.

And I already got one sheet metal shrinker and one stretcher that I can't wait to put to use this weekend :)

Being installed this week. I am space challenged... a

New shocks, front and back. Tried to get a sway bar kit, but of course it was wrong so had to send back. More aftermarket parts that don’t fit. So I will look some more for that. Got the stuff to make the rear windows roll down. But the best thing I can get, is the car running again!

Mine is getting treated to a new (rebuilt) 3.25:1 Traction Loc rear end, new drum brakes and a new, or maybe reworked, set of leaf springs. Then I'm done, car completely gone through...…. until something else needs fixin'

Geoff.

New shocks, front and back. Tried to get a sway bar kit, but of course it was wrong so had to send back. More aftermarket parts that don’t fit. So I will look some more for that. Got the stuff to make the rear windows roll down. But the best thing I can get, is the car running again!
 Jpaz, if your car HAD the 1/2" rear sway bar with staggered shocks (comp suspension) I bought the Addco 7/8" from NPD # 5A772-10A. Actually I think a 3/4" might have been a bit better, but it looks like it's for non-staggered shocks or cars that did NOT previously have a sway bar. The ass end is very firm! I have a 1 1/8" front bar that was part of the front end "kit" I bought before realizing it was SD. It hasn't been a problem though.

Geoff.

Jpaz, if your car HAD the 1/2" rear sway bar with staggered shocks (comp suspension) I bought the Addco 7/8" from NPD # 5A772-10A. Actually I think a 3/4" might have been a bit better, but it looks like it's for non-staggered shocks or cars that did NOT previously have a sway bar. The ass end is very firm! I have a 1 1/8" front bar that was part of the front end "kit" I bought before realizing it was SD. It hasn't been a problem though.

Geoff.
Yes, I have a Mach 1 so it has the comp suspension with the staggered shocks and the cheesy rear factory sway bar. I bought a front and rear kit from Belltech, but like I said it was wrong. I think the front was ok but the back was for a car that didn’t have the factory rear bar. It was supposed be a direct replacement for a factory equipped car with sway bars. And it was a 1 1/8 front and 3/4 rear. Guess I will keep looking. Not sure I want a 7/8 rear bar, so maybe I will just get the 1 1/8 front for now.

Bought most of her presents early, new rims, tires, springs & shocks but more than anything she would like a full tank of gas so I can take her for a nice long drive

Bit like a faithful dog just wants to go walkies all the time!

Pity there won't be any money left for the wife though

Geoff.
Yes, I have a Mach 1 so it has the comp suspension with the staggered shocks and the cheesy rear factory sway bar. I bought a front and rear kit from Belltech, but like I said it was wrong. I think the front was ok but the back was for a car that didn’t have the factory rear bar. It was supposed be a direct replacement for a factory equipped car with sway bars. And it was a 1 1/8 front and 3/4 rear. Guess I will keep looking. Not sure I want a 7/8 rear bar, so maybe I will just get the 1 1/8 front for now.
 The 7/8" Addco is not too bad, but I think you would not want 5 leaf springs with it. 

The G-A-T springs I currently have, 4 1/2 leaf at 175 spring rate are very firm, but not too harsh. If I have to go back to Eaton's I think I'll buy Boss 4 leaf at 152 lbs spring rate. Custom 4 1/2 Eaton's were double in price, so not worth it to me. Besides, with the Trac-loc, I might not get the spring wrap-up I was getting with the open dif.

Geoff.
 The 7/8" Addco is not too bad, but I think you would not want 5 leaf springs with it. 

The G-A-T springs I currently have, 4 1/2 leaf at 175 spring rate are very firm, but not too harsh. If I have to go back to Eaton's I think I'll buy Boss 4 leaf at 152 lbs spring rate. Custom 4 1/2 Eaton's were double in price, so not worth it to me. Besides, with the Trac-loc, I might not get the spring wrap-up I was getting with the open dif.
I know they are expensive but i have the Maier 4.5 leaf springs with Bilstein shocks and the Truetrac. It is a fantastic combination. No axle wrap or bouncing with my 408 stroker and 3.5 gears. The ride is really good, firm but not harsh.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I know they are expensive but i have the Maier 4.5 leaf springs with Bilstein shocks and the Truetrac. It is a fantastic combination. No axle wrap or bouncing with my 408 stroker and 3.5 gears. The ride is really good, firm but not harsh.

Tony, do you happen to know the free arc dimension on those springs? I'll look them up as an option to Eaton's which were over 340 bucks each for custom  made 4.5 leaf.

Tony, do you happen to know the free arc dimension on those springs? I'll look them up as an option to Eaton's which were over 340 bucks each for custom  made 4.5 leaf.
I bought them from Mustang Depot last year taking advantage of their 10% Black Friday discount. The list price was also lower. Unfortunately, MD is out of business.

In regards to riding height. I don't know the free arc dimension. You can ask Maier. They are very helpful via email. In my case, the rear was about 1/2" lower than with the older springs. I ended up purchasing a 1" taller shackle and now it seats at about the same as before. Eventually, once I upgrade the front suspension I will lower the car 1/2" and go back to standard shackles.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI- Mike Maier split off and has his own business separate from his brother Charles. There is Maier Racing (Charles) and Mike Maier Inc. Both sell many similar things...

I can measure the springs on my car, but without glass, interior and fuel tank I don’t know how useful the ride height number would be for you.

https://mikemaierinc.com/product/mustang/mustang-leaf-spring-kit/

Back