Texas Mach 1 - Trans Am style

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oleTJ

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 - In progress 351C
2003 Mach 1 - Daily
Hey guys here is my 1972 Mach 1, some of you might have seen it on the introduction page but I'm going to continue posting here instead to keep you guys updated. 

So the car is an original 1972 Mach 1 and it has a 351 Cleveland 2v. So I plan on keeping the Cleveland and building it up, I originally thought a high HP NA build would be cool but I think I am leaning more toward running twins. I feel running the twins will be a great way to demonstrate my fab skills while still achieving the performance goals i'd like. 

The night that it is raining is the night my father and I went drove 3.5 hours away after a work day to go get the car. We made the entire trip without rain and as soon as we got within 5 minutes of my house (at 2am) it started pouring down rain. Luckily it cranked right up and I was able to pull it in the garage as the next time I went to crank it we determined it needed new points to be installed. 

I made the alterations to the fender wells as I've always believed these cars would look way better if they were a bit more stream lined with a lower profile. I wanted to achieve that look without tucking too much tire/wheel into the fenderwell therefore I raised the fender wells two inches to where they are currently. 

I've swapped out the stock manifolds with Hooker super competition ceramic coated headers that I swapped out the 3 bolt flanges with v-bands.

I've removed various dents and dings and continue to do so as the build progresses. Additionally, i'm in the process of fill all the holes where emblems, antennas and things like that were. 

I intend on building a new front spoiler and rear spoiler from scratch, which will emulate the stockers but offer a little more style (not too much though). 

Feel free to follow my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrK9Sv-r_eR08NVd0ynfJMQ or instagram @tjhullfabanddesign

I hope you guys enjoy the build, and feel free to let me know what you think. I am getting more and more excited as it moves forward.

Just thought I would revive this as i've made some marginal progress on the car. Nothing like being sidelined over a month due to a serious reaction to poison ivy. This is kind of a teaser of what is to come. Also, I'm in the process of getting a lift installed in my shop. I built the x-pipe for this laying on my back with jackstands, I am hoping this is the last time I ever have to do something like that!

If your build plan does not include the urethane front bumper I am interested.

kcmash

I like the way that looks - the lines remind me of a Pantera from that view!

OK, where's the gas filler? in the trunk?

Mike
I intend on relocating it to either the quarter panel or behind the quarter window. Plans are to have either a flush in aircraft style filler or cobra/gt40 style.

I like that idea. I bet that'll look sharp.

Post pictures of your progress.

Mike

I'm just fixin' to get ready to start to get going.

Looks great. Where are you at?  I’m in New Braunfels, right by Gruene.
Thats a nice area, I'm in Cypress, Texas. Just northwest of Houston.

Back