For Sale in Michigan

While looking for parts for my wife's car I ran across this one in Michigan. It is posted on Craigslist. (see link below) Its out of my price range but someone may be interested.

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/pts/d/hendersonville-1973-mustang-grande-rust/7034679826.html

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While looking for parts for my wife's car I ran across this one in Michigan. It is posted on Craigslist. (see link below) Its out of my price range but someone may be interested.

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/pts/d/hendersonville-1973-mustang-Grandé-rust/7034679826.html

I think we know who’s car this is... I’m sure he will chime in and update people.

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

Seem a bit pricy for the condition of a 73 Grande??

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

I'm thinking that this is one of David's (Carolina_Mountain_Mustang) cars.

It does look like it might be a pretty headache free restoration.

Mike

I thought he was somewhere in North Carolina not up north in Michigan.

Mike

I'm pretty sure, maybe he'll let us know one way or the other.

@73pony

[seem a bit pricy for the condition of a 73 Grandé??]

Just think of the headaches this rust free car eliminates...

Somewhat I guess. Issue I have is I paid less than $5k for a rust free (San Diego DSO) complete running and driving 73 Grande H Code with 67,000 original miles on it back in July 2015. Yes it had a respray to a color other than the original brown. The only work I have done to the car is engine mods, transmission (conversion to 5 speed), and some interior mods that were done because that is what I wanted. 

I hope it sells for that to be honest. Just makes my car worth more.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

Mike

If you look at the name in parentheses (Hendersonville) and zoom out on the map you see the car is in North Carolina. Don't know why it's on the Ann Arbor C.L., maybe close to Detroit, Ford country, rust belt? David will have to explain that one.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Ah Ha took you guys long enough to find it, lol. I always advertise in places with lots of rust. It is in Florida and N.Y. also. 

Yes it is priced high. I talked with my friend that does restorations and he stated that not having to replace all the normal panels would save at least $10,000. 

It was over $1,000 to ship from California where he was to here. The engine and some other parts will be here before the end of January. 

It does have all the right options not just a plain Jane coupe. I see you guys buy a rust bucket that needs a cowl, floor pans, seat risers, trunk, tail light panel, quarters and wheel houses and spend hundreds of hours working on them and you have a car that none of the sheet metal is Ford that still has lots of rust. 

Maybe I look at it wrong but how many have you seen that require no panels to be replaced? 

If the kid had not taken the car apart would still be running and driving but like most that have never done one he jumped in and took it about 25% apart and decided he could not do it and go to college also. 

I guess my math and work logic is different. It would take all the work out of a restore. Could just part out and do pretty good with all the good options and solid metal. 

Here is the Marti I did not have when I posted the ad.

There is the option to make an offer also, lol.

3F04H141423_dlxrpt.pdf

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

It’s certainly a nicely optioned car.

Mike

My guess is because he just bought it off NC craigslist for the money it's actually worth and doesn't want to list it there

• Like 2

My guess is because he just bought it off NC craigslist for the money it's actually worth and doesn't want to list it there

Something like that....

https://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/d/inman-1973-mustang-grande-whole-or-part/7021387412.html

73GRANDE.jpg

That would be the one.

- Jason

@73pony

[seem a bit pricy for the condition of a 73 Grandé??]

Just think of the headaches this rust free car eliminates...

Somewhat I guess. Issue I have is I paid less than $5k for a rust free (San Diego DSO) complete running and driving 73 Grandé H Code with 67,000 original miles on it back in July 2015. Yes it had a respray to a color other than the original brown. The only work I have done to the car is engine mods, transmission (conversion to 5 speed), and some interior mods that were done because that is what I wanted. 

I hope it sells for that to be honest. Just makes my car worth more.

Keep in mind I might have been a tad sarcastic using one of David's quote... ;)

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

No way he is going to get that price, I’m going to call him and offer $1,000 . (That is my best David impersonation) lollerz

That's prob what he paid for it or less. It was listed at $1,500 OBO.

- Jason

This car needs more work then is being advertised, sorry Mr David. As someone that has done this, it is all the hidden issues plus the costs associated with restoring, locating all the missing pieces. It will add up big time in the end... Not saying anything about your price, I know I overpaid for mine when I bought my J Code vert, but I  also underestimated the additional costs to actually restore the car back to a near #1 level. $10's of 1000's under estimated... Good luck with the sale.

• Like 1

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

See there I knew you guys would catch on sooner or later, lol.

I could buy a couple of these every week it seems that the prices just keep dropping. 

As far as missing parts to restore there are none missing on this one. There are boxes of parts with the car. It was running until he decided to take apart. 

The forum had long discussions on the cost of a paint job and this car would be just a paint job. Here locally you can get dip strip for $2,500 or some do the wet medial blasting which I have never done so I do not know the cost.

The rebuild of the car is straight forward, complete interior, rebuilt engine and transmission, rebuild suspension. 

No hours and days of drilling spot welds and trying to make repo panels fit. 

So when I kick the bucket it will be in the barn for someone to take home or to the crusher where it was headed if I had not bought it. His dad gave him a deadline and then had to crush it. He has a construction equipment build business and the mustang did not look right next to the new Corvette and BMW and he wanted it gone. His dad had made him take it and put behind the barn he did not want his gal friend to see it. 

So when you guys ask for opinions on prices of cars you see why I always say you are paying way too much. I will never understand why rust buckets get restored and cars like this go to the crusher.

The 71 - 73 just do not have the market of some other years. Even the older ones seem to be dropping in price. 

I have to force myself to quit looking for cars.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I guess most of you guys have rust logic. You love rust and changing panels.

So it will go as a parts car I believe. I will never see your logic of buying a cheap rusty hulk spend thousands on parts that do not fit. Then spend all that time in the shop hammering and welding and you end up with a pieced together non original car.

So depending on outcome of the next Dr. visit it might go to crusher I might not be able to unbolt the parts. 

In this area there are no fans of the 71 - 73 I have only had I think three people come to buy parts in several years, PS, PDB, headlight buckets and some sheet metal. One guy had paid $12,000 for a rusty convertible out of NY and was spending a fortune on it. The other had a Mach 1 I think. 

Now I know why Scotty Strickland, owns Mustang junk yard, will not sell complete cars. He can make more from the parts than he can from the cars.

David