New 72 conv Front End

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Vert 351C White
Hi, It's been 6 months since I joined this group after uncovering my neglected 72 Conv. 351C Mustang.  Sat in my garage for 30 years!  No excuses here!! 

I know this forum loves pictures, so I decided to post a few of the work. This phase of it is just about getting it cleaned up and able to drive it without sheer fear. 

The project got started last year so it could start, run and 'stop' and start again.  Now in the process of replacing the front end.  Everything is original on the suspension except some 35-year-old shocks I replaced.  Crazy old stuff.  Replaced with standard NAPA front end components ($1600 in parts)  

Replaced: U/L control Arms, U/L Ball joints, tie rods ends (inner/outer), coil springs, shocks, torsion bar bushings, saddles, idler arm.  

Got rotors cut and new brakes pads.  Also new rubber portions of the brake lines.  Repacked wheel bearings.  Removed surface rust and simple clean-up.  Some rust needed to be cut in cross member and a welded patch.

Enjoy, CV Mustang,  Eastern PA. 

https://babynamesetc.com/animal
IMG-20191219-133819385.jpg
[/URL]

Good question, I need to tackle some lights in the cluster. I'm pretty sure some are bad or very dim, fuel gauge works so the reg is ok., AMP lamp is ok, think that's on a different circuit. The temp and oil lights do not work. They did 40 years ago!! , LOL

I did a quick test by grounding the sensors and still no indication, also turning the ignition to 'acc ' should light. (I think) I need those fixed for some 'peace of mind' while driving. I'm just concerned about removing the dash pad and busting it or something else.

But the next big job is the rear. Sounds pretty rough, might be bearings, not sure. Also, the leaf springs/shocks looking bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch! Expensive bugger. But Rare Parts seems to be the only company making idler arms for power steering systems.
Yes. The Rare Parts one is the only one I could find with corrected dimensions and geometry as well.

delewarebill, Ive heard you take a big chance on the ebay "kits" and that specific brand names are important to stick to.  Did you have good experience with ordering from ebay?  Great Looking car btw!

Back