Urethane Bumper Bracket

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
Last Summer (2018) I bought a co-worker's 1971 Boss 351.  He bought it in 1977 and has owned it the last 42 years. Of the many things he's done to it over the years he replaced the front chrome bumper for a urethane.  I'm going to replace the urethane bumper with a correct chrome bumper.  I want to sell the urethane bumper because it is in very good condition but need to know if the metal brace the urethane bumper attaches to will also accept the chrome bumper? If it does I will remove the brace and use for the chrome attachment. Here' some pictures of the bracket:

Oh...who sells a quality repro chrome bumper?  Lots out there...Goodmark, Sherman, ACP, Dynacorn, Scott Drake, Mr Mustang, etc.

I know....wrong bumper and wheels.

Is this bracket common to both chrome and urethane bumpers?

Very straight....no cracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello TexasBoss,

That is sure a nice looking well-preserved Boss! The blue/silver colors have always been one of my favorite color combinations.

The metal piece you identified in your picture is what Ford called the front bumper center reinforcement (D1ZZ-17A792-A). It was used for both the chrome and urethane front bumpers in 1971-72. Since yours is not rusty then you are in luck since finding originals in good shape is a tough find and the repos I've seen offered are expensive. You can also use the same front bumper arms since they were also used for both style bumpers.

As far as a quality repo front bumper, you are probably going to hear a lot of horror stories from anyone you ask. I would start with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply. There is a lot of typical repo junk being sold out there and since Don is one of us, he has a pretty good idea of what quality level parts we are looking for.  http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=500

Of course, if you have your favorite parts source you can always price shop.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks Steve. I'll give Don a call tomorrow if he's open. I need to do a proper intro sometime as this car has an interesting backstory. According to Marti it's one of 18 Boss 351s that were designated for export in 1971 and found its way back to the motherland.

Be looking for the urethane bumper in the For Sale forum after Christmas. It's in awesome condition and hopefully will help a M1 owner.

With no original engineering blueprints or molds, we may never see a repo urethane front bumper for the 71-72's and the one year only 73! I believe the original manufacturing company had been researched, and over the years had been involved in a couple of merger/buyouts and then eventually went out of business.

As good as yours looks that would be a power buy for someone looking for a urethane bumper for their Mach1 or  71-72 special-edition Mustang.

I will be looking forward to hearing about the history on your Boss and how it returned back to the Motherland!

Thanks Steve. I'll give Don a call tomorrow if he's open. I need to do a proper intro sometime as this car has an interesting backstory. According to Marti it's one of 18 Boss 351s that were designated for export in 1971 and found its way back to the motherland.

Be looking for the urethane bumper in the For Sale forum after Christmas. It's in awesome condition and hopefully will help a M1 owner.
Nice looking car. Don't know if you got your bumper yet but since you are changing over to a chrome bumper you will need the bumper to fender fillers.  Don at OMS should have them also.

Back