1971 J-code Mach 1 project in DE

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you see the pics on the trailer you know he is a Flipper. He is out of his mind and not numbers matching rust bucket. $20,000 for this then $50,000 to restore and you could sell for $25,000. Be interesting to see how the two very incorrect ones sell at Mecum in January. 

Rusty cars no matter what engine will never make you money. Just a passion.

That's a fact Jack! Ours has nowhere near the rust (only floor pan) and the current guess-timate to get a rolling painted shell 6-8 months from now stands at 18k. Our starting point was $1200, I couldn't imagine a starting point of 20k, whew! If the original drivetrain were with this car that may be a different story for the right person.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a fact Jack! Ours has nowhere near the rust (only floor pan) and the current guess-timate to get a rolling painted shell 6-8 months from now stands at 18k. Our starting point was $1200, I couldn't imagine a starting point of 20k, whew! If the original drivetrain were with this car that may be a different story for the right person.
  It's a passion and love of Mustangs that makes us do it.    I purchased this 429 Mach 1 for $6000 (numbers matching, but rusty) and I have $29,000 in it now (and I am doing all the work except body/paint - $18,000).  Figure I have another $10-$15,000 to do on it, but I like restoring them and then driving them.  

free image hosting

The ad includes a statement about production.

"Ford made just 594 J code 4 speeds in 1971...not sure how many were Mach 1s. 429 Cobra Jet with ram air!

Here is the answer - Ford built 230 Mach 1's with J code close ratio 4 speeds in 1971.

Ray

It's a passion and love of Mustangs that makes us do it.    I purchased this 429 Mach 1 for $6000 (numbers matching, but rusty) and I have $29,000 in it now (and I am doing all the work except body/paint - $18,000).  Figure I have another $10-$15,000 to do on it, but I like restoring them and then driving them.  

free image hosting

I agree an absolute passion. Like before we started restoring my wife's Mach 1, I searched for what's out there in the world for sale. I could buy a turn key Mach 1 for my wife for 25k. But it wouldn't have the meaning or blood, sweat and tears hers will have when it is done. Sure, we'll spend much more than it is worth. But it will have been saved from certain death by crusher and my wife will have an unprecedented level of pride that she did it with a little help from me. Every time she turns the key to fire the non original motor up and shifts gears in her non original hydraulic clutch 5 speed transmission, she'll know that it was her passion that saved the Mach 1 from the grave.

I did not want to give the impression that I thought that anyone who would start with a project like the one linked in the OP at that price point was out of their mind or wrong headed. I apologize if I did. It truly is a passion.

As a 30+ year Camaro nut "you guys" and my Wife are extremely fortunate to have Marti reports and engine codes in the vin, for a Camaro (67-69) without the original engine and trans and a paper trail at least a foot thick there is no difference (IMHO) between a base model 327 car and a SS 396 model in value.

A Mach 1 with a J code in its vin number is a true pedigree all unto its own.

Ahh yes... The Pewter with Vermillion Interior J Code Mach 1... I had this one for 18 year’s. did not have the original engine or C-6 transmission, but I restored the car back to near exact specifications in the ‘90’s... All the exterior components were correct CJ pieces including the Head’s, Exhaust manifold’s, carb, distributor, etc. Just bothered me that it was not the #’a matching driveline so I sold it in 2010. I loved this colour combo...

The one for sale in this post will take a lot of $$$ to restore and you still won’t have the #’a matching driveline. Been there, done that.Hope someone buy’s it and restore’s to their liking...

Wow, do those pictures bring back memories.  Mine was the same exact color when I bought it, and also came with the transparent floor pans.  Seller was also a wanna-be flipper, freshly ordained after several episodes of @ss Monkey Garage, and wanted lots more money for that 'rare & collectible H-Code pile of rust.'  Hauled it to the Auto Hobby Shop on a very similar rig ('68-'70 Ford truck, albeit yellow paint worn in the same manner).

Based on my experience with almost the exact same scenario, there's one zero too many on that asking price.  I don't care what the VIN says, or how nice those seats are... as David said, there's about $50K worth of restoration needing to be done to get that car back to the $30K selling range... and that's doing it yourself and using repop parts rather than NOS.  Rare and collectible VIN - sure... but, it'll never be new again... nor numbers matching.

Perhaps my two cents might provide anecdotal evidence as to what lies ahead in a complete restoration. 

Four--Five years ago (2015), I bought a 1971 Grabber Blue J Code, 429 SCJ, that had been off the road since 1975. 

The first picture shows the beginning of the tear down. The 2nd and 3rd pictures show the end result: just a bare shell. 

Shell was then blasted and prepped with POR 15. Every single nut and bolt removed. 429 motor rebuilt. Tranny rebuilt. Rear end, 4.11, rebuilt. Then, the Drive train was added. Frame and shell repainted. Car put back together slowly. 

Today the car is back on the road and basically finished. The final picture of the motor is current (December 2019). 

Not counting the cost of rebuilding of motor, transmission, and rear end, I have almost $30K into it and countless man-hours. It should be added that most of the original parts (fenders, interior, hood, trunk lid, were used in putting the Mach 1 back together. Very original car. 

"Ford made just 594 J code 4 speeds in 1971...not sure how many were Mach 1s. 429 Cobra Jet with ram air!

Here is the answer - Ford built 230 Mach 1's with J code close ratio 4 speeds in 1971.

Ray
 A friend of mine has (or had one if not sold yet) one in red. He also has a Boss. He told me 40K will buy the 429, but that was to me though.

I don't know if he knows how few were built.

Geoff.

Perhaps my two cents might provide anecdotal evidence as to what lies ahead in a complete restoration. 

Four--Five years ago (2015), I bought a 1971 Grabber Blue J Code, 429 SCJ, that had been off the road since 1975. 

The first picture shows the beginning of the tear down. The 2nd and 3rd pictures show the end result: just a bare shell. 

Shell was then blasted and prepped with POR 15. Every single nut and bolt removed. 429 motor rebuilt. Tranny rebuilt. Rear end, 4.11, rebuilt. Then, the Drive train was added. Frame and shell repainted. Car put back together slowly. 

Today the car is back on the road and basically finished. The final picture of the motor is current (December 2019). 

Not counting the cost of rebuilding of motor, transmission, and rear end, I have almost $30K into it and countless man-hours. It should be added that most of the original parts (fenders, interior, hood, trunk lid, were used in putting the Mach 1 back together. Very original car. 
Depending on how much front end damage there was, it might even need to go farther than yours did... as in, might even need a new front clip.

attachment.php

Not to mention, based on how transparent the floor is, that cowl will most likely need to be opened up and addressed in addition to the floor pans and the firewall [probably].  No pics of the trunk, either...

Not being a jerk here... just realistic.

Ray
Thanks to Mike Berardi I have 1 of those 230.  It's the only classic car my 21 year old Autistic son will ride in.  Calls it the old car, but it doesn't seem that old to me.  Windows down (power, no AC) and getting on it under a bridge overpass he is laughing like a goon.  :)

Ray
Thanks to Mike Berardi I have 1 of those 230.  It's the only classic car my 21 year old Autistic son will ride in.  Calls it the old car, but it doesn't seem that old to me.  Windows down (power, no AC) and getting on it under a bridge overpass he is laughing like a goon.  :)

Very cool!  Your son has excellent tastes in Mustangs!!!

Ray

Back