Do convertibles get seat boxes?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang 351 CJ w/ auto Q code convertible.
1971 Chevelle SS 454 4 speed
Hello all,

My newest project (which I will be posting soon in the other forum) needs new floors (there's a shock!)

Does a convertible get seat boxes?

Every ad I have seen for sheet metal says "fastback or coupe".

Never any for a convertible.

As far as the floor goes, I wont know exactly how bad it is till I'm done peeling away the layers but might go with a full one piece floor.

Yes the convertible has seat platforms - they are not reproduced, they are very different from the coupe and fastback

There are also structural boxes under the floor, also not made but you can adapt the ones from the earlier models

When you do the floor, you will most likely have to re-bend the flange on the outer edge of the pan.

You may also need inner rockers - how good / bad the inner rockers are may determine if you do a full floor or not.

Save all the weld on brackets off the old floor for seat belts and parking brake

Also the rear interior panel mounting rails

They are different on various years

I see looking at your site that there is a convertible seat box for up to a 68.

I will end up using that and modify it to work.

Wont know the extent of damage until I get the seats and carpet out.

You will save time and lots of pain if you go with full floor. Don is right the outside flange has to be reversed for a convertible. With a convertible no roof in the way of the full floor. 

My friend that does restores can put a full floor in two days. The patches never fit and difficult to do butt joints and lap joints suck anywhere. 

If the floor is gone the cowl is gone. The floors rust out from the inside not the outside. You need to do the cowl before the floor and you need to get you a jig to hold everything in place. 

Like Don said keep your old floor lots of small bits do not come on the new one. 

I have two parts convertibles one has good seat risers and good boxes underneath. I am not going to build a rusty one so will sell if you need.

If you can drive to NPD you can pick up the floor and save shipping costs and also damage.

You might consider taking the car to Graverobbers in Georgia to get the panels done. They have all the jigs and do it all the time. If you request it they can spot weld the panels back in and will look original. 

If I were doing the car cowl first. Full floor next then the back end of the car. 

Here is link to the Graverobbers site. https://www.graverobberssheetmetal.com/index.php/first-steps

They do not have the parts listed for the 71 - 73 cars in their online quote form. You can do online rough quote on older models. Not saying they are the best but price is right in my opinion. They have done hundreds if not thousands of vehicles and have all the equipment. They did a Chevy truck for my friend that does cars. Was ok but him being a perfectionist nothing is ever right, lol. They replaced rockers, cab corners, floor, bed sides and bed front. 

You would need to make sure they get all the brackets off the old floor for the new. 

There site has pictures of the jigs they use. They are difficult to get hold of also. They do not have someone sitting there waiting on the phone to ring they are out in shop working. 

All the broken spot weld bits, cuts, grinder grit in the eyes and pain you will have doing yourself kills lots of builds.

Thanks for the info. I am interested in the seat box and boxes below I will pm you for pricing.

I just got the car in my hands yesterday so disassembly will let me know what's what. Most of floor damage came.from no top on car its seems so not sure about the cowl but will soon find out

Be on the look out for your build sheet. Can be tucked into seat bottom. under carpet, under sound deadening I found one inside the seat riser on one of mine. If you are lucky will be in there and in decent shape. There is sometimes more than one. 

That gives you all the specifics that were added to the build coming down the line.

Back