BF Goodrich TA Tires at Discount Tire Direct

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
I decided to get Magnum 500s and tires for my 71 Mach. I searched around and came across a very good deal on 235/15 and 255/15 at https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-radial-t-a

These prices were noticeably cheaper than elsewhere. I also noticed the 245 size did not seem to be as good of a deal. Seemed a decent enough deal to share.
b2378277347f2ae6853c36b51f128114.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That is what I run, good tire and good price.

Have had mine for seven years and still have good tread.

Maybe I am just prejudice but when you look at pictures

of other Mustangs, particularly on this site, you see a lot

of those tires.

mike

Watch out for date codes. They could be old stock. Tires are only good for 10 years max before they start to harden and become almost useless.

I just replaced all my tires because of that. They still had lots of tread, but hard as a rock and loss of traction.

BFG's are made in Mexico and even the ones my dealer got me were almost a year old already. I don't have an example of BFG's date code layout at hand, but if you go to their website, I think you'll find it.

Geoff

PS don't forget Magnums MUST be lug center balanced and NEVER use an impact wrench on them, hand tighten only to 95ft/lbs.

Good info on figuring out how old they are. Thx much!

I will be installing them myself. I will take them to a local auto center to mount and balance. Thx for the info!

Thanks for the heads up on the tire deal! I think RWL BFG's on a set of Magnum 500's look great on the Mach 1.

Just a side note on date codes; a few years ago a friend had a set of BFG's on his 71 Camaro that were just over 15 years old. Normally he just cruised the "side streets", but one day he thought he'd clean out some carbon and took his car out on the freeway and at 65 mph one of his rear tires came apart and ruined a rear quarter. Personally I was always cautious about older tires, but after that incident I have been extra vigilant.

Most times the tire get discounted due to going out of date range. Each retailer has their own range before they get reduced and then sold to a second tier retailer (think eBay tire stores). If the tires you receive are more than a year old, I'd send them right back.

Most times the tire get discounted due to going out of date range. Each retailer has their own range before they get reduced and then sold to a second tier retailer (think eBay tire stores). If the tires you receive are more than a year old, I'd send them right back.
 Good advice.

People won't use food product if they are close to, or have passed their "best before" date, so why would anyone use tires that are getting old before they've even been on a car? Doesn't make sense to me.

Good advice.

People won't use food product if they are close to, or have passed their "best before" date, so why would anyone use tires that are getting old before they've even been on a car? Doesn't make sense to me.
I have tested longevity of food. Canned goods are good for much longer typically (depends on what it is). Prepper sites are a good source for this info. I ate ramen that was 7 yrs past date. It often has more to do with quality (taste and nutrition). But for cars I get it (tires and fluids and some rubber items).

Good advice.

I have tested longevity of food. Canned goods are good for much longer typically (depends on what it is). Prepper sites are a good source for this info. I ate ramen that was 7 yrs past date. It often has more to do with quality (taste and nutrition). But for cars I get it (tires and fluids and some rubber items).
 I probably should have said "Most People........" Actually, I'm with you, don't pay too much attention to the date code on food unless it's fresh meats. My son won't eat anything even 1 day past it's date, plays right into the hands of the producers, more sales = more profit.

Bad food usually will only make you sick for a day, bad tires can permanently make you dead! That's the point.

Geoff.

I look at date codes on food and just about everything else except tires.

Probably due to my profession, medical. Everything has a date code.

If the State shows up for inspection and they find one outdate, they start

digging.

mike

My wife was also in the medical profession, until she got disabled 20 years ago. #1 on her hit list is still bad microbes, the first thing I hear when coming in is "did you wash your hands?" #2 is date codes, doesn't matter if it's fresh, frozen or canned.

We have owned several different motorhomes over the years and running on old tires on motorhomes are a recipe for disaster, probably the leading cause for motorhome crashes. The tires usually get way out of date and still have good tread. When buying a used motorhome having to replace all 6 tires at one time takes a big hit on the pocketbook, so looking at the date codes on the tires before buying is really a necessity, both for safety and for finances. Good for negotiations, either have all the tires replaced before signing on the dotted line or drop the price a couple of thousand dollars.

Ooops, looks like I opened a "can of worms" again.... without a date code!

Maybe I should have chosen a better analogy to relate to tire date codes.

I got sick a couple of weeks back on packaged mixed salad that WAS in date. It was supposed to be pre-washed, so I didn't wash it again and paid the price.

Ok enough on this subject, let's just stay with tire date codes. 

Don, as you said, old tires cause many crashes of all sorts of vehicles, let alone RV's. As mentioned before, the tire I scrapped still looked like new, but hard as a rock. If you can't easily dig your finger nail into the tread, I guess it's out of date or close to it.

A tire a year old is already 1/10th through its life span.

Geoff.

34th and 37th week of 2019 so about 4-5 months old. I would think that is about as new as I could hope for (considering logistics time to get them shipped.
2b808db6a75d8ce5980f6271f44ff92a.jpg
0e4662fe15dd954a5748fe1cbdfbb9b5.jpg

34th and 37th week of 2019 so about 4-5 months old. I would think that is about as new as I could hope for (considering logistics time to get them shipped.
2b808db6a75d8ce5980f6271f44ff92a.jpg

0e4662fe15dd954a5748fe1cbdfbb9b5.jpg
 Looks good to me. Good deal. Was that for 4 or just the 2? Oh wait, I see the others in the background.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back