Original electric power windows

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys. Just a quick question as I came across a complete power window kit there was in a 1972 parts car. Will all the parts from a 1972 Fastback fit in a 1973 Fastback? Will everything fit for the front doors and the same for the quarter windows? Wich parts will fit and what parts wont? Hope someone can help me as I really would like to buy that kit and upgrade my car as it does’nt have electric windows.. :)

Merry Christmas everyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, the main difference is the switches, switch blocks, decorative bezels and the wiring for these

The mechanical s and electric motors, relays are the same

So if you are adding them to a car that does NOT have power windows, everything will fit fine, just the switches will be the wrong year / style for your car

Make sure you get the clips that hold the chrome bezels onto the switch blocks...they are usually missing or broken and hard to find.

Thanks man, that was exactly that answer I was looking for, thanks buddy! So great to hear that, it was the mechanical and motors I was worried about and that sounds so great that it will work. The contacts and bezels are not so important as I will install some custom ones :D I will get everything from him when he takes it apart so I will be sure to have everything! Merry Christmas to you, really appreciate your help!

Will add a little to what Don stated.

Yes the clips were hard to find but someone did repo them and they are available on ebay not cheap but less that originals were going for. 

As Don stated actually the 1970 to 1972 are the same type switches. 

When they get removed there is quite a bit of wiring you will need to pull. I would actually get the whole harness if I could. The relay for the PW is mounted to the LH shock tower on the back side and is usually missed. 

The wire harness going to the doors it you have PW and door speakers is the hens tooth of all. The speaker wires and PW wires are in one unique harness. 

The window glass in the doors is unique to PW and you have to have it. There is a big arch cut into the glass to clear the PW works. I think the rear glass is the same you just have to have all the tracks for a fastback to go to PW. Of course you can have tinted glass or no tint to also look out for. 

The 73 is a one year only PW set up. The switches are lots different and the bezels have a screw with couple prongs that hold them on. The motors and rebuild kits are everywhere since same motors used in lots of Ford cars. The rear motors or pancake motors are hard to find and usually need taken apart cleaned greased and contacts worked on. West Coast Cougar has a video on their site on the rebuild. 

There are lots of little clips, screws, press nuts and thing that people leave behind when removing the PW set up. 

The rubber boots from the A post to the door are hard to find in great shape. If you do not have door speakers already you have to hole saw the holes in the A post and front end of the door. 

The holes in the door panels have a square shape that fits the PW switch that you need to copy and the rear panels also have square holes. 

I have two 1973 cars with PW and one 1972. 

I lost most of my pics of the PW set up have some of my 73 Mach 1. 

I caution you not to buy a partial set up thinking you will find the other pieces. NOT going to happen. I have been looking for years for a couple parts to wire harness and no luck. Always a day late on reply when they do come up.

If you can locate a parts car with the windows in you can get it all with one shot. There is one on the facebook page now but do not know how complete the PW set up is. 

The pics are of 73 model.

Thanks man, that was exactly that answer I was looking for, thanks buddy! So great to hear that, it was the mechanical and motors I was worried about and that sounds so great that it will work. The contacts and bezels are not so important as I will install some custom ones :D I will get everything from him when he takes it apart so I will be sure to have everything! Merry Christmas to you, really appreciate your help!
Try and get all the bezels, clips contacts as they will be worth a few $$$ maybe quite a few depending on condition especially for the 71-2 bits

You may be able to sell them and get some of your money back

Last edited by a moderator:
He is asking 600 dollars for everything front and rear, actually everything there has something to do with the windows front and rear. Is that a fair price or to much?
Make sure the rear motors work  if they are out you can test them with a battery right to the wire connectors

600.00 is a GREAT price

I just sold 1 rear motor for 225.00

Last time I had a complete set I think I got a 1000.00 for it

The problem is that it’s a guy in Texas who got them and I live in Denmark, else it would have been easy :D But it’s good to hear that it’s a great price. I think I need to buy them. If the rear motors does’nt work, is it something that are rebuildable or will it need to be replaced? :)

Hey protouring, Mike is correct on the windows being different but they are also different for fastback VS coupe / convertible

The 1/4 windows you don't need BUT you do need the bracket off the glass and all the hardware as that will save some shipping weight

As shipping will be a concern, you may want to check into those things before paying to ship glass that won't fit your car

If you are going to order new glass - you may want to check if they make PW side glass, I'm not sure if they do or if the glass company can cut it

Once the glass is tempered it cannot be cut. So if they do not make PW glass no way to cut a finished one.

If he can get some good pictures should be able to pull up the parts book and compare what is missing. 

I turned down a 73 convertible parts car last year that had PW. Was a rusty car but had several great options. He thought someone would want to restore it. But for sure not worth the effort. I offered him $500 for the whole car and he said no. I have not been back by to see if still there. 

I think he is looking at a car that I looked at on Facebook. Was just a pile of stuff not just the windows.

Thanks everyone! I actually think it’s difficult to find a place where it’s possible to buy new glass for a power window car. Why cant I find that anywhere? Is there anyone here who knows where to buy it?

I will get the windows with the kit for that price, so nothing to be worried about, that’s great. But if one will broke one day, maybe that will be a problem then?

The only difference between the power and manual glass is the half moon cutout on the bottom edge to clear the motor, everything else is the same so power glass works fine in a manual application.

Back