Lower quarter patch panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueoval71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
I did a little "poking around" and I need to replace the lower corner of the rear quarter just behind the wheel. Anyone know if the Goodmark lower patch is decent. Theirs is the one with the side marker stamped but not punched out. I intend to replace as little as possible so it seems like a waste to get the DII quarter and use little of it.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0783.JPG

If there is metal left around the damage to weld to I'd weld/have welded in a small patch. A lot less drama and cost. Chuck

Plan "a" is to cut out as little as possible with my air saw, weld in the patch and move along.

I just found this gem on the same side where the quarter meets the window.:mad:

Apparently the seam sealer had something better to do than stay put.

IMG_0784.JPG

Any ideas for that one?

Thanks for your input guys!

That almost looks like a factory mistake. Either way, weld it up using small gauge wire (.025 MIG), grind, and fill. The fewer panels you have to replace the better off you are, in my opinion. You lower the risk of ill fitting parts, cost, and time. Sometimes you have no choice but, when you do, less is more. Chuck

That lower quarter would be a quick to make patch. Get some 20 or 22 gage cold rolled steel and fab one up. It'll take you a couple tries before you get one that fits just right. I would leave it as is, then lay your completed patch over the area and cut the quarter to the patch, not the other way around. Be generous and go out about an inch or two in each direction with your patch. Once you cut the quarter, you can use the Harbor Freight butt weld clamps to get it nice and flush, or just eyeball it.

Hey can anyone recommend a vendor who sells the Goodmark lower rear quarter patch panels?

Thanks, Chet

Back