How do you total a Sprint in restoration?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
This sprint was posted on the 1971-1973 Mustang Owners--The Big Horse Club Facebook page. He is selling everything for $1,500. He was attempting to replace panels while the car was on rotisserie and the chassis folded up.

This is the reason you use a chassis jig to support the frame rails and chassis while you install new metal. Once you have panels in and panel alignment they you go to rotisserie for body work, primer and paint. 

This could be fixed but he has no taste for doing it. Just need to back up and start all over but the car is not worth the effort. Will spend way more than value of the car due to repairing rusty panels.

Lots of parts and it was a Sprint if anyone wants a challenge. 

I could not figure out how to link to their site so I pulled his pics here they are.

Wow... bummer.  Still totally restorable, but just more complicated now.

Considering how rare and collectible the Sprints are, that could make the right guy a nice project.  One of those 'sum of all parts' kinda deals.  Aside from the VIN and ragged out upholstery, there's not much there that actually says "Sprint" to be honest.

Considering how rare and collectible the Sprints are, that could make the right guy a nice project.  One of those 'sum of all parts' kinda deals.  Aside from the VIN and ragged out upholstery, there's not much there that actually says "Sprint" to be honest.
Add busted grill with sport lamps and urethane bumper too.

If he did the floor replacement while on the rotisserie it is a twisted mess. I went to Virginia to look at a 65 coupe on one of my parts buying trips. When I saw the full bar in the garage I knew there would be issues, lol. The floors in places had gaps you could stick your finger between frame rail and floor but he had welded anyway. Was a total scrap pile with lots of new parts welded to it. 

I admire people that do their own work but they need to know how to before starting. At least read some and watch videos.

rofl

True, but correct me if I'm wrong: the upholstery was about the only thing that was ever really "Sprint-exclusive."  Still, the urethane bumpers are getting harder to find in good shape - it's also easy enough to slip in a repop deluxe grille without raising too many eyebrows.

I'm still trying to learn more about the Sprints - they're kinda growing on me.  ::thumb::

rofl

True, but correct me if I'm wrong: the upholstery was about the only thing that was ever really "Sprint-exclusive."  Still, the urethane bumpers are getting harder to find in good shape - it's also easy enough to slip in a repop deluxe grille without raising too many eyebrows.

I'm still trying to learn more about the Sprints - they're kinda growing on me.  ::thumb::
I see FRANKENSPRINT   in the making ::thumb::

rofl

I see FRANKENSPRINT   in the making ::thumb::
Ha!  As a matter of fact, Mrs. 4x4 has put that on hold... indefinitely.  Because, as we all know: I have to check with my wife before I can buy anything. rofl

Honestly, I have nowhere else to park anything, anyway. ;)

I am not totally up on the sprints either. I think there were like two trim packages you could get. One got you Magnum 500 wheels. I think that all got Mach 1 grills, special paint stripe on the flat hood and side and the big Sprint decal on the quarter panel. I had a set of the sprint hub caps they had blue stripe instead of black sold to one of the members in past. 

The rare ones are the 50 Sprint verts they made for the cherry blossom parade in Washington DC. One for each state. There is a registry for them and some have not been located.

One thing I would like to know could you even get the NASA hood on one or were they all flat regardless of engine? I bet Ray can fill us in.

On fixing the car if the 71 - 73 is anything like the 65 about rusting in the rear frame rails they should be replaced when you do the trunk. With all the force the springs put there you need new metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind my question...what's a deluxe grille?
Sorry, "Mach 1 grille."

3cxsCdplEnuB.jpg

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=216

Everybody seems to be calling everything else 'deluxe' on these cars "Mach 1' this or that, it gets confusing some times.  Refer to the numerous Mustang Monthly articles about '71-'73 Mustangs where they call the 'Deluxe Interior Package' the 'Mach 1 Interior Package.'

One thing I would like to know could you even get the NASA hood on one or were they all flat regardless of engine? I bet Ray can fill us in.
That's a great question.  I think they were all flat with the blue paint treatment in the center section, but every now and then you see one with a NASA hood with a TuTone hood treatment in blue... which I don't think is correct for the Sprint.

On fixing the car if the 71 - 73 is anything like the 65 about rusting in the rear frame rails they should be replaced when you do the trunk. With all the force the springs put there you need new metal.

Agree, and I believe they are very similar in design (although, the earlier models having the gas tank mounted through the trunk pan, rather than under it like '71-'73s).

I am not totally up on the sprints either. I think there were like two trim packages you could get. One got you Magnum 500 wheels. I think that all got Mach 1 grills, special paint stripe on the flat hood and side and the big Sprint decal on the quarter panel. I had a set of the sprint hub caps they had blue stripe instead of black sold to one of the members in past. 

The rare ones are the 50 Sprint verts they made for the cherry blossom parade in Washington DC. One for each state. There is a registry for them and some have not been located.

Sprints had Package A and Package B, my B car had Magnum 500 and competition suspension. Never seen a factory Sprint with hood other than flat with blue stripes regardless of engine.

One thing I would like to know could you even get the NASA hood on one (Sprints) or were they all flat regardless of engine? I bet Ray can fill us in."

Well I will tell you what I understand as of today.  As you will see - not much.

In 1972 if you ordered a car with the Q code it included the NASA type hood.  (1972 Facts Book)

That is why my convertible came with that hood.  (not listed on the Window Sticker)

But I still think there were exceptions.  72 Q code Sprints.  If Rex is still on here he might know for sure. 

I do not have solid support for this.  If anyone has anything supports or refutes this - please post up.

This also poses other questions - what about Q code hardtops?  The Spring special units definitely got them.    Also, I can't believe any 72 Q code Sportsroofs or Grandes were ever produced with  NASA type hoods.  But then again  I heard the two Firestone Q code hardtop test cars came with NASA type hoods????

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/72-mustang-sprint.357110/page-2#post-6849785

Sorry - more grey areas. 

Ray

I don't believe the Sprint package commands much if any price premium over a "regular" Mustang. As always it's based on drivetrain combination and other factors. I think it is a cool package however, and I'm pretty sure it was a Sprint Mustang Matchbox that originally got me into this style of Mustang ('71 to '73) as a kid. I believe Mike Berardi / Motorcity Mustang on this forum has a Sprint package vehicle for each one that was offered, even the Pinto model. It sounds stupid to say for a car, but when i see one of these that is a survivor or restored car, it is just a clean and refreshing overall look. Sounds like a soft drink description!

Ray, even though the 72 Q engine option included a Mach 1 style hood, the info I have doesn't support the NASA hood as part of the Sprint package with the Q engine. The 65-72 Ford Master Parts Catalog (MPC) only lists one part number for the hood stripe on a 72 Mustang Sprint which would be for the flat hood.  A friend of mine I was stationed with at Robbins AFB bought a new 72 Sprint sports roof B package with a Q code 4sp and his had a flat hood. With ram air not even being available on the Q engine when these cars were built, the NASA hood would have been just window dressing anyway! Over the years it was a popular add on just like on 71-73 non Sprint Mustangs.   

According to Daniel Russell from the Sprint Registry, the dealer literature he has indicates the Ram-Air option was not available with the Sprint package and it specifies the NASA hood as not available on Sprint Mustangs.

Ray, even though the 72 Q engine option included a Mach 1 style hood, the info I have doesn't support the NASA hood as part of the Sprint package with the Q engine. The 65-72 Ford Master Parts Catalog (MPC) only lists one part number for the hood stripe on a 72 Mustang Sprint which would be for the flat hood.  A friend of mine I was stationed with at Robbins AFB bought a new 72 Sprint sports roof B package with a Q code 4sp and his had a flat hood. With ram air not even being available on the Q engine when these cars were built, the NASA hood would have been just window dressing anyway! Over the years it was a popular add on just like on 71-73 non Sprint Mustangs.   

According to Daniel Russell from the Sprint Registry, the dealer literature he has indicates the Ram-Air option was not available with the Sprint package and it specifies the NASA hood as not available on Sprint Mustangs.

Thanks!  That takes care of the Sprint Ram Air hood question.  

To avoid hijacking this thread - might open a new one for other hood questions. 

Ray

The rare ones are the 50 Sprint verts they made for the cherry blossom parade in Washington DC. One for each state. There is a registry for them and some have not been located.

If you ordered the Q code engine you got the NASA/NACA/??? hood. I've seen two unrestored Q code Sprints. I tried to buy both, without success. Chuck

Back