Re-upholstery project on my 71 convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everwood

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible
Starting my re-upholstery project on my 71 convertible. i already refinished console,rear inside quarter panels, and bucket seat backs.

Now for the upholstery. 

Never done this before but no shops close to me and i want to try it myself anyway. So here goes.

Does anyone know the significance of this tag attached to spring?

https://ibb.co/drY0Zx2
Tag-attached-to-springs-back-seat.jpg
[/URL]

Seat frame after wire brushing and paint

Wayne

Great to see a member step out of their safe zone and try something new. Every time you sit in that seat you will recall every thing you did. 

The tag on the seat was placed there by the supplier to Ford to identify how they built up the seat. Some have auto seat back releases and so do not and of course a pyramid of colors types of materials and different models.

I am sure you have watched some of the videos they do have some great info.

I went to our local Tech College and took an automotive upholstery class. Was embarrassing how fast the instructor was as we the students struggled. Was the most difficult thing I have done on a car due to not having ran a sewing machine that much. Did ok on getting the covers on but you need extra hands for sure to beat it into submission. 

Some seat spring trivia. The spring like in your seats were first used by Ford in 1950. The 1949 had coil springs. Do not know if that was their first time but I know my three 49 Fords all had coil and my four 1950 have the zigzag. 

Post your progress.

Who did you get your upholstery from and what is the color and type interior?

Great to see a member step out of their safe zone and try something new. Every time you sit in that seat you will recall every thing you did. 

The tag on the seat was placed there by the supplier to Ford to identify how they built up the seat. Some have auto seat back releases and so do not and of course a pyramid of colors types of materials and different models.

I went to our local Tech College and took an automotive upholstery class. Was embarrassing how fast the instructor was as we the students struggled. Was the most difficult thing I have done on a car due to not having ran a sewing machine that much. Did ok on getting the covers on but you need extra hands for sure to beat it into submission. 

Some seat spring trivia. The spring like in your seats were first used by Ford in 1950. The 1949 had coil springs. Do not know if that was their first time but I know my three 49 Fords all had coil and my four 1950 have the zigzag. 

Post your progress.

White interior from Mustang Market made by Distinctive Industries--Deluxe interior.

My goal is to get entire interior redone before it warms up this spring.

Wayne

This is what i have to work with. Front edge of cushion is showing some loss of stuffing.

Can i add 1" foam over tops of everything and make it work? i did pick some foam up at Wal-Mart so it is ready to go if that will work.

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
The foam kits offered by the vendors for the rear seat are just basic rectangular shaped pieces (ask me how I know).  As long as you cut them big enough to fit, it should work just fine.

Did you get a new cover for the rear seat, or just putting the factory one back on? (edit: Duh - nevermind, I just re-read the thread)

The foam kits offered by the vendors for the rear seat are just basic rectangular shaped pieces (ask me how I know).  As long as you cut them big enough to fit, it should work just fine.

Did you get a new cover for the rear seat, or just putting the factory one back on?  (edit: Duh - nevermind, I just re-read the thread)
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Wayne

I wish I had taken pics, but I remember mine being a 'U-shaped' piece for the bottom (with the center hump portion missing) along with a slightly bigger piece for the center hump area (to cover the entire area).  Put the center hump piece down first, then the big piece for the rest of the seat bottom.

The back is just one long piece of rectangular foam.  In all honesty, after having done the fronts, and then the back seat cushion, the seat back itself was the hardest one to do (it fought me all the way).  For being a simple straight-forward piece, it sure was a challenge.

Good luck!  Keep the pics coming! ::thumb::

Post your progress.

White interior from Mustang Market made by Distinctive Industries--Deluxe interior.

My goal is to get entire interior redone before it warms up this spring.

Wayne
So was Comfort Weaver or solid vinyl?

The hump in the rear always needs a little extra padding to keep the wrinkles out of it. We have a couple places close by that sells upholstery material and supplies so that helps a lot. I can drive 15 min. and pic up what I need. They have rolls of the cotton batting and also polyester, the burlap also. You can take an electric carving knife and shave the edges off the square foam if it makes easier to work .with.

"So was Comfort Weaver or solid vinyl?"

I believe it is genuine imitation Comfort Weave, or what ever Distinctive Industries sells.

Wayne

"So was Comfort Weaver or solid vinyl?"

I believe it is genuine imitation Comfort Weave, or what ever Distinctive Industries sells.

Wayne
Was wondering if they had came up with a way to weave it again. In the past has just been embossed pattern and not woven. SMS had the white but ran out last I checked.

Well it tried to kick my butt , but i persevered. I am happy with the results.

Got the back seat done. The back of back seat will be next.

Wayne

Soooooooooo, does      "I believe it is genuine imitation Comfort Weave" mean that it is really, really fake?         ;-)

Back