71 Boss 351 Quick Flip Turned Into Full Scale Restoration

This is gonna be good :D

Daniel ::thumb::

Pro-Touring 1973 Mustang named ''Creator'' ... :P

Under construction!!

Glad you're returning it to the original Light Pewter (code V) color.

When I had my 71 Mach repainted, I was unable to find a code (formula) for PPG 2287 in modern paint. A local PPG supplier was unable to match it, so I had the paint camera matched from a section of un-faded paint under the rear window trim. You may be able to find that code in the US due to different regulations than in Canada.

If you have not seen a copy of an original 1971 PPG Mustang paint chart, see the attached link. It also has the code for the hood black-out and trim. 

Depending on how close to perfect you wish to go with trim finishing, SEM Hot-Rod Black with Hot-Rod clear over it (optional) has proven to be very durable on exterior black-outs and SEM Trim Black for interior trim. While these are not "concours" correct, they do look good imo. BUT it's your car, your way. Other paints are available to chose from.

Geoff.

71 PPG colour chart.pdf

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Impressive work. Your boss story reminds me of mine!

Yes I am jealous! :)

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

When I had my 71 Mach repainted, I was unable to find a code (formula) for PPG 2287 in modern paint. A local PPG supplier was unable to match it, so I had the paint camera matched from a section of un-faded paint under the rear window trim. You may be able to find that code in the US due to different regulations than in Canada.

If you have not seen a copy of an original 1971 PPG Mustang paint chart, see the attached link. It also has the code for the hood black-out and trim. 

Depending on how close to perfect you wish to go with trim finishing, SEM Hot-Rod Black with Hot-Rod clear over it (optional) has proven to be very durable on exterior black-outs and SEM Trim Black for interior trim. While these are not "concours" correct, they do look good imo. BUT it's your car, your way. Other paints are available to chose from.

Geoff.

Geof,

That's awesome!  Thanks for sharing the fruit of your research.  I'll show to my restoration shop once I return the car for paint and body work.

Ed

Geoff.

Geof,

That's awesome!  Thanks for sharing the fruit of your research.  I'll show to my restoration shop once I return the car for paint and body work.

Ed

Ed, happy to help out and hope you can find the PPG formula. If not was there any original paint with sufficient thickness to camera match? There are quite a few others here with code V paint, so perhaps somebody else has the formula they can share. Unfortunately the paint supplier who matched my paint did not write the formula on the can. I can't even match my own paint now, but I do have some left over if it's still any good.

As for the black-out, some was textured, but it depends on what you want for your car. For me, I was just wanting it to look good to the casual observer, not an MCA judge! Again there are many here who may have a better idea to the correct semi-gloss black if you are unable to match the codes on that chart. Also if you care to do a search I'm pretty sure you'll find more info in other threads.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

What is the plan for that Urethane bumper?

Remember I asked first... :D

kcmash

Read, reREAD and looked at the photos! Nice to see someone that both respects a concourse effort and KNOWS they aren't going that way . EVERYTHING on a Boss 351 is expensive....so you can save $20K just in the manifolds, carb, distributor, fuel pump, alternator and pulley ! At least you can get a BA dip stick with all the money saved. Don't make me deliver a with a set of Small hole Magnums in January !

Water-pump.jpg