My 71 Build thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revsitup

Reaction score
My Car
!971 Mustang sportsroof
I thought I would start a thread of my 1971 Mustang sportsroof restoration. Here is a little history of the car.

I bought this car back in 1983 on my last week in school before graduation.   It served as my daily driver for almost 2 years. In 1985/6 I rebuilt the motor and painted the exterior of car and added the Mach 1 stripes. i drove it on occasion up until about 2002 and its been stored ever since. I always started it once every couple years since then but havent drove it since 2002 or so.  I  wanted to do a total restoration on this car lately  to address some rust issues that occurred over the years.  Issues included misc. water leaks that occurred while it was a daily driver and not garaged causing some areas of the floor to rot out.  Also the common cowl vent rust on passenger side needed repaired. 

So in march 2017 I decided to dive in and do a total restoration.   The first pic I posted is before I started  to disassemble the car.   It looked good in that picture but like I said it had the rust issues that really bothered me and needed fixed among other things.

I worked on it til june of that year and got it to its currant state.  In july of 17 I bought another project to do  and put this car on the backburner. Now its time to get back on this and finish so I brought it back down to my shop last week to get started again.

I plan on replacing the rt. quarter/ both outer rear wheelhouses/ passenger floor pan and possibly the trunk floor.   Also the front aprons/ areas behind the hood hinges needed some small patches welded in.  

I will keep this post updated as I make progress on this.

Sorry for the long story!

Brent 

Unique functional ram air 71 Sportsroof.

Cool!

71 Decor Group info:

1971 Mustang Brochure

DÉCOR GROUP OPTION INSTRUMENT PANEL with deluxe black appliques, de-

luxe 2-spoke steering wheel.

DECOR GROUP OPTION (also available on Boss 351, Sportsroof) Includes knitted vinyl or deluxe cloth/vinyl seat trim, deluxe black instrument panel appliques, rear ash tray, deluxe 2-spoke steering wheel, dual color-keyed racing mirrors (left side remote-control; standard on Boss 351), rocker panel/wheel lip moldings (except Boss 351), deluxe molded door trim panels (Convertible, Boss 351).

Ray

https://ibb.co/KXnK3B9
IMG-1275.jpg
[/URL]

https://ibb.co/wMjFHvDMade a little progress on the 71 this weekend.  Got the old  trunk pan cut out and prepped /fit the new one.   Also sectioned in the lower part of right front apron.   Hated to replace the entire apron as mine was really solid everywhere except under the battery tray.

[ attachment=50063]Wanted to update this post as i have  made some progress the last month after taking a break from it to do some other projects.

I finished the install on the trunk pan/outer wheelhouses and epoxied all the inner panels for corrosion protection.  The left quarter was a nos i installed back in 1985 but I had to remove it to put in  a new outer wheelhouse that I should have  done back in 85 when I did the quarter.    The passenger quarter had some rust repair done back in 85 and also needed a outer wheel house so I decided to try a dynacorn replacement quarter. So far its fitting up really well.      Added some pics but not sure why some added twice?

IMG_1731.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
[attachment=50063][attachment=50063]Wanted to update this post as i have  made some progress the last month after taking a break from it to do some other projects.

I finished the install on the trunk pan/outer wheelhouses and epoxied all the inner panels for corrosion protection.  The left quarter was a nos i installed back in 1985 but I had to remove it to put in  a new outer wheelhouse that I should have  done back in 85 when I did the quarter.    The passenger quarter had some rust repair done back in 85 and also needed a outer wheel house so I decided to try a dynacorn replacement quarter. So far its fitting up really well.

So since your car was a NJ build I assume you found Red Oxide primer remnants? 

We have had some discussion on which primers were used. It looks like maybe all the NJ cars got red and I think Motor City Mustang has some from Michigan with red oxide but most there have gray primer.

Great progress, keep pushing.

So since your car was a NJ build I assume you found Red Oxide primer remnants? 

We have had some discussion on which primers were used. It looks like maybe all the NJ cars got red and I think Motor City Mustang has some from Michigan with red oxide but most there have gray primer.

Great progress, keep pushing.

So since your car was a NJ build I assume you found Red Oxide primer rem

Thought I would update this thread as its been a while.  i have been making some progress as i have finished up all the welding of the floor sections and quarter panels. All the body work from the doors back is done with the exception of final primer blocking/seam sealer and final paint prep.   I have the hood stripped and in epoxy and picking up the fenders from media blasting on monday.  The fenders will just need some minor body work done to them as they were rust free. Hopefully I can get everything ready for paint before long. Kinda getting anxious to get some grabber blue sprayed on it 

mustang floor 2.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

Looking really good.  Your hard work is paying off and you are going to have one sweet ride when it is done.  Can't wait to see it when it is finished.

Back