Hood paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73bluemach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1 all original with1 repaint
I'm getting ready to paint my 73 back to the original color of bright green gold metalic and was wondering about the black on the hood, should it be glossy or low gloss? 

Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Joe

No they are not supposed to be glossy. However I painted mine gloss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halfway down the page

http://www.429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

Be careful with the pattern, the setback dimension from the leading edge of the hood is from the front of the hood molding, not the edge of the hood sheetmetal. Very common mistake and it looks wrong after you've seen one done correctly. Search on the site for hood paint or similar, there has been plenty of discussion of materials, templates etc.

If you go to the search tab and look up “hood blackout” or “hood template” you will find all the info and pics you need. But the black hood paint should be semi flat black. A lot of guys use Sem Hot Rod Black. My painter used his formula that he’s been using for 30 years.

Like Hemikiller said make sure that you or your painter gets the blackout pattern in the correct position, or it throws the whole look off. Center side to side and then the pattern should be set 2” back from the leading edge of the hood. Which means you measure from the front of the hood trim, not the hood edge.

If you go to the search tab and look up “hood blackout” or “hood template” you will find all the info and pics you need. But the black hood paint should be semi flat black. A lot of guys use Sem Hot Rod Black. My painter used his formula that he’s been using for 30 years.

Like Hemikiller said make sure that you or your painter gets the blackout pattern in the correct position, or it throws the whole look off. Center side to side and then the pattern should be set 2” back from the leading edge of the hood. Which means you measure from the front of the hood trim, not the hood edge.
 Well put John. 

For us who have been around the site for a few years, this is getting "old hat", but to a newer member, getting that black-out right could be pretty daunting. No matter how many new members ask this question, we all are more than willing to help out and assist with information or where to find this information.

I have a suggestion; perhaps someone with the skills, can put together a separate heading for Hood Black-Out (or Argent) where it all can be found at a click of a button.

One thing to remember, none of these hoods were painted perfectly, but some try to achieve perfection and why not, but should it end up 1/8" off, who's really going to notice? 

When my hood was painted, it was me that screwed up. I told the painter 2" from the front of the hood forgetting that the trim piece was not yet on the car. The result was the front ended up 3" from the front. Also, I set the edges 6" in all the way back to front. Most agree that it was more like 5 3/8" at back to 5 7/8" by the scoops. There are pictures of this. The Templates available are not correct, but the one from Graphics Express seems to be about the best. My painter used this only as a guide and used plastic tape to do the actual masking. That template gave the edge dimension as 6" front to back. (Which from an esthetics point f view, looks to be a better proportion imo.) 

Geoff.

Here are some pics of an original and it is flat not semi or gloss. It has somewhat of a texture to it. I put a couple shots of scale from front also. 

We have had lots of discussion on if the templates are right or wrong. If you order a template will you make a pencil rub of it and send to me and I will put next to mine and see if the radius are the same?

Lots of people go with gloss but the whole idea is to kill the glare. You do not want to get wax on it but you do not need to. That is original paint never buffed and it sat for all those years and it still looks pretty good. 

There are not really any paints today that look exactly like the original. They were all crooked and out of center on the originals they did not have time to make them perfect. 

David's picture are probably the clearest you'll see anywhere and the offset, one side to the other is very clear, looks like almost 3/4" at the back hood edge. Halve any discrepancy and you'll be pretty damn close.

As far as the color goes, PPG describe it as "low gloss". I Googled PPG 9381 and found some interesting stuff. One site claims it was only on Chevrolets from 1974?? WTF, it was a very common paint used way before that as we all know. It was used on Boss 302's as well.

For information, here are scans from an original PPG color chart for the 1971 Mustang and others. While these show where the 9381 paint was used inside and out, it does not describe the gloss level or texture, which is unfortunate.

71 PPG colour chart.pdf

Attachments

• 71 PPG colour chart.pdf
    356.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Interior color.pdf
    667.2 KB · Views: 11
Wow, alot of great information, I want to Thank each and every one of you for your responses. This is all of the info that I needed, the measurements are perfect and also the links. I apologize for not searching for other threads on this subject on the site.

Thanks again for the responses.

Joe

Wow, alot of great information,  I want to Thank each and every one of you for your responses. This is all of the info that I needed, the measurements are perfect and also the links. I apologize for not searching for other threads on this subject on the site.

Thanks again for the responses.

Joe
 Hi Joe, glad I/we could help out. It's what this forum is all about.

Any questions, just ask. Someone will have an answer for you.

Geoff.

Halfway down the page

http://www.429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

Be careful with the pattern, the setback dimension from the leading edge of the hood is from the front of the hood molding, not the edge of the hood sheetmetal. Very common mistake and it looks wrong after you've seen one done correctly.  Search on the site for hood paint or similar, there has been plenty of discussion of materials, templates etc.
There's some weird stuff out there regards to what black-out paint is correct. On the 429 site "Bob Perkins" states DDL9423, but not on the 71 and 72 PPG color charts I have, both list PPG/Ditzler 9381 for hood and other areas, I could find no correlation between the two numbers. I also found a lot of misinformation about these paints on the web.

On the Boss 302 forum, one person stated that (SEM) Hot-Rod Black (satin) was "a comparable replacement for 9423" which is a non-textured paint, low gloss.

I would love to actually see these paints side by side to compare, but that's not possible these days by all accounts as they're discontinued, formulas no longer available.

I guess if the car is NOT a concourse trailer queen and as long as it's not gloss black, if it looks right, then it is right. My money's on Hot-Rod satin black all day long and IF you happen to accidently get some polish or detailer on it, no problem. I actually use either Mothers Quick Detailer or more recently, McGuires on the hood without any change in finish.

Geoff.

I had the gloss black on my hood, along with the wrong pattern. I knew it was wrong when I bought it, but it did look pretty good. I figured I would redo it one day anyway.

I really like the semi flat way better than the gloss. The glare with the gloss is horrible.

Stanlover, Thanks for the good info, it is definitely not a concourse trailer queen, I just want to put it back to the original color since it is a numbers matching car, and then we're going to drive the crap out of it , because they are pretty cool cars.

jpaz, I agree, the semi flat black does look a lot better, I think it makes them look bada@#.

Thanks again for your responses

Joe

There is one more option that I had not thought of until a friend mentioned it. That is to get a 'wrap' done for the hood black-out. With an accurate template, any good graphics shop should be able to do it as long as they have, or can get, the right sheen. 

My friend had a white Corvette and had red hood inserts made. It looked like paint, but with the advantage it is removable.

There is one more option that I had not thought of until a friend mentioned it. That is to get a 'wrap' done for the hood black-out. With an accurate template, any good graphics shop should be able to do it as long as they have, or can get, the right sheen. 

My friend had a white Corvette and had red hood inserts made. It looked like paint, but with the advantage it is removable.
Someone on here did a wrap for hood black, I think it was one of our European members.

Never thought about a wrap, that may not be a bad way to go.

Thanks for the info.

Joe

IMG-2006.jpg
[/url] 

I went with hot rod black. I like the sheen over the flat black.

Back