72 R CODE

BURR

HELLO YES I'M NEW HERE!    I'm cleaning out a couple garages for a friend. Each one has a 72 mustang in it thats been their since the 90's, I don't know a lot about them yet because I haven't yanked them out from all the trash yet. One shows up as an R code MACH 1. Theirs no engine in it, although their may be one in the garage somewhere, it has some rust but doesn't appear to bad and I have not been able to see underneath yet. Looks like they only made 19 hardtop R codes. The seats are their but not much else of the interior is. The other one appears to be a 72 MACH 1 fastback, it does have a V8 in it but not much interior other than seats. I will post some pics when we pull them out and find a little more about the shape their in. I was looking for someone that can ball park their value after I get some pics and find out more about them.

I think we would all be willing to chip in an opinion on value, once we see the condition and extent of the rust. FYI, the R code Mach 1 wouldn't be a hardtop. It's a fastback.

I think we would all be willing to chip in an opinion on value, once we see the condition and extent of the rust. FYI, the R code Mach 1 wouldn't be a hardtop. It's a fastback.

OK thanks, we plan on yanking the R code out of the barn later this week then we will no more about. Cant see it to well at all right now.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

As rvtrash mentioned the Mach 1 is a fastback.  But it has its own unique body type as per the Vehicle Information Number (VIN).

That 1972 Mach 1 should have a VIN that looks like 2F05Rxxxxxx.  "05" = Mach 1.  The x's indicate the consecutive unit number of the car.

Ford built 336 R code Mach 1's.  BTW all R codes were 4 speeds.

Hardtops - sometimes called coupes have a "01" body type number.  For 1972 R code production 14 were hardtops "01" body type and 5 were Grandes "04" body type.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

So that’s an R code Mach 1, built 57 units before my Mach 1 Q code # 17100. Very cool!

You remember they rarely build them strictly by VIN number.  

:D

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

No motor or trans $3750 I do have the front fenders

Need pics showing what you do have., especially stuff with VIN.

You might also post this info to the Boss 351 Facebook group.  

Good luck.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

So that’s an R code Mach 1, built 57 units before my Mach 1 Q code # 17100. Very cool!

You remember they rarely build them strictly by VIN number.  

:D

Ray

Ya I know. Thought it was kinda cool how close the vin numbers are.

• Like 1

John - 72 Q Code

Also  later will have this one for sale. 1F05M133637