429TJ/460 header selection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoArts

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Sportsroof
'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop (sold after 20 years)
'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA
I haven't checked on this subject in quite a while... Wondering if there have been any introductions of new headers for TJ applications in the past few years. I live in Pittsburgh, and that pretty much rules out low slung tubes like the Hookers or Crites due to the mine fields and corn rows that they pass for roads here. I would actually prefer mid length, but have not read any consistent info regarding *perfect* fitment of the FPA's.

My combo is a mid 70's Lincoln 460 with C8 heads. It has not been installed in my car to check fitment of the  Lincoln manifolds that I have. Does anyone know if these would even fit the '71-73 (exit angle and such)? If not, which ones will?

The exhaust conundrum is one of the bigger things keeping me from big blockin' it, since I have a 5.0, an alloy headed 351W and the original C as options.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't checked on this subject in quite a while... Wondering if there have been any introductions of new headers for TJ applications in the past few years. I live in Pittsburgh, and that pretty much rules out low slung tubes like the Hookers or Crites due to the mine fields and corn rows that they pass for roads here. I would actually prefer mid length, but have not read any consistent info regarding *perfect* fitment of the FPA's.

My combo is a mid 70's Lincoln 460 with C8 heads. It has not been installed in my car to check fitment of the  Lincoln manifolds that I have. Does anyone know if these would even fit the '71-73 (exit angle and such)? If not, which ones will?

The exhaust conundrum is one of the bigger things keeping me from big blockin' it, since I have a 5.0, an alloy headed 351W and the original C as options.

Thanks in advance.
The FPA mid-length headers fit pretty well. I had to ding one tube to clear the power steering box. No big deal. You of course will have to fab up transitions to mate up to your existing exhaust.

I don't know anything about the Lincoln manifolds. I had a pair of manifolds from a van application that I intended to use before I decided to spring for the headers.

Moto,

I used 1985 F-250 manifolds on my installation. I also had to notch for the steering box and clutch linkage too.

Thanks, Jay
Not sure if the stock Lincoln ones fit, but suspect they might (there are several variations thru the years, early ones are most compact).  But the 429 PI manifolds do fit well in my 73 with 460 and appear to be a better flowing design without header headaches.  Nothing to modify beyond adding header pipes to mate to existing 351c dual exhaust. Not sure if the PI manifolds are hard to find anymore, but a few years back they came up on EBay now and then..

Moto,

I used 1985 F-250 manifolds on my installation. I also had to notch for the steering box and clutch linkage too.

Thanks, Jay
Not sure if the stock Lincoln ones fit, but suspect they might (there are several variations thru the years, early ones are most compact).  But the 429 PI manifolds do fit well in my 73 with 460 and appear to be a better flowing design without header headaches.  Nothing to modify beyond adding header pipes to mate to existing 351c dual exhaust. Not sure if the PI manifolds are hard to find anymore, but a few years back they came up on EBay now and then..
Hedman husler , get them from summit, if they don`t fit them You send em` back.  I REALLY wanted fpa`s to work on mine, head flange bolts were WAY off,  Steering box TOTALLY would not clear, was told " engines were offset from factory" yeah, right. BUT fpa makes lots of cool oddbal pipes for all ford combos, so I don`t know what to tell ya :D

Back