Blinkers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Statcoy

Reaction score
My Car
302 1971 Mustang Coupe
Just tryna restore it
Alright so I'm so close to be done with the lights but I really am struggling with the blimkers no matter what way I click it seems like it'll blink onces or just get brighter? I replaced everything in the steering wheel but still nothing :/ . I'm leaving for the Army soon so I don't have time to take it to a shop but anything helps!

Alright so I'm so close to be done with the lights but I really am struggling with the blinkers no matter what way I click it seems like it'll blink onces or just get brighter? I replaced everything in the steering wheel but still nothing :/ . I'm leaving for the Army soon so I don't have time to take it to a shop but anything helps!
Hello from Idaho,

You could just cut to the chase and ask (pm) Midlife here on this forum. He is the rainman of wiring for 71-73 stangs. He makes the harness's. Thank you for serving our country! God Speed!

Rod

MACHATTACK

I've no real good idea about blinkers who flash once and then stay on except that the flasher can may be bad.

Original style flashers work on electrical resistance in the circuit caused by the bulbs being lit. The resistance heats up a bimetal strip in the flasher unit and opens a set of contacts, the bulbs are off, the resistance has been removed, the bimetal strip cools off and the contacts close, lighting the bulbs, and the cycle starts again.

To complete an electrical circuit there has to be a positive side and a negative (ground) side. Anything that disrupts either end of the circuit or reduces the positive or negative voltage reduces the heating of the bimetal strip, sometimes enough that it won't flash at all, other times flashing slowly. The most common cause is the ground (negative) side of the circuit, bad ground from the battery to the body, bad connection from the body to the bulb socket, corroded socket or bulb base. A possible cause of low voltage on the positive side is the fuse, either the clips or the outside of the fuse are dirty/corroded, or the inside of the fuse is corroded. Another possible cause is corroded connections any place in the circuit, any connection between the battery and the bulbs can be the problem.

A modern electronic flasher may help to provide consistent flashing, but if any of the other problems exist the bulbs will likely be dim.

Back