Barrett Jackson

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a chance to check it out, and my opinion that is a price the buyer and hopefully the seller should be happy with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a chance to check it out, and my opinion that is a price the buyer and hopefully the seller should be happy with.
 Good to know...

Mach 1 gas cap. 

The rear spoiler was to high up on the trunk.

Lower black paint was incorrect in the door jam. Never seen one so incorrect.

I was supersized of the hammer price so i went back for a second look.

Mach 1 gas cap. 

I did notice that the spoiler and gas cap were wrong, but that was all I had time to see. It was already moving off the stage then it sold. I didn’t see under the hood, not even sure if they opened it. So far that was the only 71-73 car I saw.

"my opinion that is a price the buyer and hopefully the seller should be happy with. "

I was trying to be polite.

"my opinion that is a price the buyer and hopefully the seller should be happy with. "

... I took the comment as such.

Mach 1 gas cap. 

Mach 1 gas cap. 

I did notice that the spoiler and gas cap were wrong, but that was all I had time to see. It was already moving off the stage then it sold. I didn’t see under the hood, not even sure if they opened it. So far that was the only 71-73 car I saw.

I saw the listing on that car, there was a lot wrong for a "restored" car.  The underside was a disaster.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-FORD-MUSTANG-BOSS-351-237388

I saw the listing on that car, there was a lot wrong for a "restored" car.  The underside was a disaster.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-FORD-MUSTANG-BOSS-351-237388

As I am verrrry ignorant as to what is correct. Would you mind pointing out what is wrong? 

What my ignorant eyes can see is crummy looking exhaust and the underside is RED.

Thanks.
Hey, HEY, HEY!!  Quit being so negative... you're going to drive the resale values of the rest of our cars down.   :whistling:

Too soon?  :cool:

Mach 1 gas cap. 

Mach 1 gas cap. 

As I am verrrry ignorant as to what is correct. Would you mind pointing out what is wrong? 

What my ignorant eyes can see is crummy looking exhaust and the underside is RED.

Thanks.
Hey, HEY, HEY!!  Quit being so negative... you're going to drive the resale values of the rest of our cars down.   :whistling:

Too soon?  :cool:
What took you so long?  Lol

If the car was early build in N.J. the floor should be red oxide. They used Gray in Dearborn. Should have had over spray from color on top of red oxide if NJ car. If the car is Dearborn build they did not do research and did wrong. 

I watched some last night there were some crazy prices paid for some and some sold below cost to build. I saw no 71-73 while watching.

If the car was early build in N.J. the floor should be red oxide. They used Gray in Dearborn. Should have had over spray from color on top of red oxide if NJ car. If the car is Dearborn build they did not do research and did wrong. 

I watched some last night there were some crazy prices paid for some and some sold below cost to build. I saw no 71-73 while watching.

Personally I have not seen a red oxide 71

Where is this info from that they were ?  How early ?

Dearborn was slop gray. This could be any variation from light to dark. My ‘71 J Cide vert was a near black when I confirmed the colour before sending it out for sand blasting... This topic will illicit many different answer’s, just document as best you can and let the expert’s have their say...

have no proof because I have no 71 models. I have always been told they used red oxide in NJ. for all years of mustang built there by people at Mustang shows. I will do some asking around to see if I can find someone with an early original from NJ. 

I do not think I have ever even gone to look at a 71 for sale. I prefer 72 73. 

I will get in touch with Scotty Strickland he has the Mustang junk yard maybe he can share some first hand info, I cannot, just what I have been told by others. 

Need to go find a copy of the Ford Facts book and see if it tells like in later years what they sprayed. It does not tell color on later years but number of coats.

Went looking for info on primer used in NJ but found nothing for now. There is a copy of the MCA rules which I hate because they are so vague they are on this site. They allow Gray, Red Oxide and black. 

The primer was not the Slop paint it was primer. The Slop gray was what came from purging lines to change colors and what color paint that was caught and recycled. 

The primer was primer made for that use not the mixed up Slop. When you mix all colors of paint you always get gray of some tone. If you did photo work in the film days you carried a 40% Gray Card. That was the average between white and black and you metered you light setting off of it.

Gray primer is like the best neutral color that covers the easiest with most colors.

have no proof because I have no 71 models. I have always been told they used red oxide in NJ. for all years of mustang built there by people at Mustang shows. I will do some asking around to see if I can find someone with an early original from NJ. 

I do not think I have ever even gone to look at a 71 for sale. I prefer 72 73. 

I will get in touch with Scotty Strickland he has the Mustang junk yard maybe he can share some first hand info, I cannot, just what I have been told by others. 

Need to go find a copy of the Ford Facts book and see if it tells like in later years what they sprayed. It does not tell color on later years but number of coats.

Went looking for info on primer used in NJ but found nothing for now. There is a copy of the MCA rules which I hate because they are so vague they are on this site. They allow Gray, Red Oxide and black. 

The primer was not the Slop paint it was primer. The Slop gray was what came from purging lines to change colors and what color paint that was caught and recycled. 

The primer was primer made for that use not the mixed up Slop. When you mix all colors of paint you always get gray of some tone. If you did photo work in the film days you carried a 40% Gray Card. That was the average between white and black and you metered you light setting off of it.

Gray primer is like the best neutral color that covers the easiest with most colors.
Semantic’s... Like other’s that have done factory style rotisserie restoration’s on “71’s”... my homework was complete before I invested any $$$ in that part of the restoration. Scotty Strickland is just one opinion like your’s or mine... I believe it was a form of “slop paint” used at Dearborn on “71’s”. Again, my own homework before applying paint. But, as akway’s on a site such as this, “too each their own” :)

My two cents worth on 71's. The one I have has never been touched on the underside aft of the firewall. This is a Dearborn car. I can't be totally sure of the color of the floor pan underside as I'm yet to clean it, but it appears to be dark. However, when I replaced the fuel tank, the underside of the trunk floor was almost a blue/grey color, zero rust and very clean. When I put the new tank in, all I did was to use Fluid Film sprayed on the trunk underside. I wish I'd taken pictures but alas, I didn't.

I have a friend who absolutely believes all these car should be red oxide primer. I can't convince him otherwise, but it is interesting to know that Metuchen cars were or could have been red oxide. He has done several from 71 to 73 and all were red oxide floor pans including a 1f05J car he has, but his Boss 351 is black. People will do what people do I guess.

Geoff.

The 429 megasite said according to a survey of owners whose cars undercarriages are unrestored, most were black and a few were a dark slop grey or even a real dark green. No mention of red oxide.

The James Bond Mach 1 is black or something really dark too.I think that was a 351 car. Anyway, just saying

Back