OBD II scanner recommendations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
I'm looking for a new more capable OBD II diagnostic tool. I want all 10 mode capability (especially mode 6), max reset capability, and text readouts (not hexadecimal). I'm having trouble figuring out what I want to know from manufacturer's websites. Does anyone have any recommendations? All input will be welcomed. Chuck

I bought one from Harbor Freight a month or two ago, Zurich ZR8. I've just used it a couple of times, but have been impressed with it. It doesn't specifically list all of the modes, but it appears to have all of them, plus ABS for domestic vehicles.

I also have a Wi-Fi version on my tablet. There are a lot of apps available. My tablet is Windows and has a more limited choice than Android. I have OBDdash.SportsGauge and it also appears to have everything, plus can have custom PIDs added. It also has data graphing and GPS tracking, and can export the data to Excel. It has some nice looking gauges to look at while testing or driving. An app called Torque Pro is supposed to be a good one for Android, but just works with Bluetooth. I had OBD Fusion on my Android tablet and it is a good one, very comprehensive, and works with WiFi. I may try it on my Windows tablet, using an Android emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a particular vehicle or just in general?

I also have Torque Pro as an app with a Kiwi wifi connector. This one is probably more than 10 years old. I also have a ScanGauge in my daily driver 4Runner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies. I recently discovered the value of Mode 6 to detect misfires that did not set the check engine light as well as the ability to monitor cam phaser movement in real time. Autel seems to make good products but the more capable units are over $1000.00. Launch may be an alternative but I'm still looking. I want the tool to maintain my F250, Mustang GT, and Edge as well as the Mustang GTs my sons own. More and more I've come to believe a modern car is really a LAN that comes with an engine or a motor and wheels. Chuck

Thanks for all the replies. I recently discovered the value of Mode 6 to detect misfires that did not set the check engine light as well as the ability to monitor cam phaser movement in real time. Autel seems to make good products but the more capable units are over $1000.00. Launch may be an alternative but I'm still looking. I want the tool to maintain my F250, Mustang GT, and Edge as well as the Mustang GTs my sons own. More and more I've come to believe a modern car is really a LAN that comes with an engine or a motor and wheels. Chuck

https://www.republiclab.com/obd2-scanners-guide/

The one I mentioned does have Mode 6 and pending problems. On my F150 it tells me I have a slight vacuum leak, and shows it as a pending trouble code. I haven't looked at much of it's real time capabilities.

The apps for tablets are most likely to provide real time capabilities, plus graphing and data export, as well as being able to install or program custom PIDs.

I should never have borrowed a friend's Snap On scanner. The things you can watch live and the depth of information is impressive. Having said that, the cost to buy an Autel or Launch of similar capability is about $1200.00-$1600.00. I just can't justify the cost, although I have tried to do so. So, thanks again to all who have chimed in on this topic. Chuck

Back