20x9.5 Will they fit?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed
I need to get different wheels on my 72 fastback as I have a couple of them with problems and we are going more restomod than stock. On a very tight budget and a buddy has some 20X9.5's with a 1.25" offset that he'll let me trade for. I haven't seen them yet so I can't measure anything. Anyone know it these might fit front and back? Guessing some spacers might be involved. 

I get that a lot of people don't like the larger wheels. This is a more or less temporary setup until I can afford wheels I actually want.

Thanks

The offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel and with that much positive offset you'll likely need spacers, probably around 1/2" to 1".

You can get the spreadsheet in this thread and estimate the clearances (under the clearances tab) and see if you need spacers, and see if you can make them fit. The tire size will play a role, too. You'll need to measure the distance between the inside lip of your fenders and the distance from the outside of the leaf springs.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-tire-sizes--11566?pid=115406#pid115406

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick reply and great info as always. Seeing that I went ahead and went for it.

A quick trial fit and it looks like they will work and be a step up from what I have now. Fronts will need a spacer, rears don't need one, but will certainly look better with one as they sit in from the fender pretty far. I'm going to try and stuff 315/35's on the back so I'll check the spacing once I have those installed as they are quite tall.

Thanks again for the help!

I don't have any pics of the wheels on the car, but this is the wheel. Still not sure how I feel about them, but they'll have to do for now. I don't love seeing the drum brake so well through that open wheel. Might have to paint the drums red and put a Brembo sticker on them  :p

ncvRdDzWAn7p0CYpa4GXe4uULVU7h6KxN-FifZtVXC2URiyooqt4USIfXCZ2DwATNU-vq0xrGu4d9M11BAJTQy-PvlfHU5cpzX0ZyhAJhAz9fpxxL44gJDzItldXYGovOGUSwUpwoBY=w2400

Interesting. We had joked about making something like that but not seriously. Not entirely sure that would look good or corny. I suppose something subtle like a dust shield and probably black and not a fake Brembo or something could better than an old drum.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any pics of the wheels on the car, but this is the wheel. Still not sure how I feel about them, but they'll have to do for now. I don't love seeing the drum brake so well through that open wheel. Might have to paint the drums red and put a Brembo sticker on them  :p

ncvRdDzWAn7p0CYpa4GXe4uULVU7h6KxN-FifZtVXC2URiyooqt4USIfXCZ2DwATNU-vq0xrGu4d9M11BAJTQy-PvlfHU5cpzX0ZyhAJhAz9fpxxL44gJDzItldXYGovOGUSwUpwoBY=w2400

Nice looking wheel - similar to what I'm thinking of putting on mine. ::thumb::

Cool thanks. That helps, I keep running into people who tell me you can't put big wheels on an old car. These are more beat up than that pic, but not bad.

Cool thanks. That helps, I keep running into people who tell me you can't put big wheels on an old car. These are more beat up than that pic, but not bad.

Can you please post a pi  when you get them on the car?

Cheers Shane

Just thought I'd post a quick update as it's been awhile. Here it is with 315's. I did need to add a spacer to get them to fit. The fenders were rolled somewhat by the previous owner so the outside looks good so far. The inside was very tight and needed a little persuasion to get clearance. It all looks like it should work now if I bounce the rear end around. Haven't driven it yet as we have the interior torn out right now. 

Just thought I'd post a quick update as it's been awhile. Here it is with 315's. I did need to add a spacer to get them to fit. The fenders were rolled somewhat by the previous owner so the outside looks good so far. The inside was very tight and needed a little persuasion to get clearance. It all looks like it should work now if I bounce the rear end around. Haven't driven it yet as we have the interior torn out right now. 

Looks good ::thumb::

First, take this with a grain of salt as I'm checking fitment my bouncing the car and I haven't been able to drive it yet. 

They are 315 35 20s on 20X9.5 wheels on 1" spacers. I'll need to look up backspacing again. Here's another view with some audio assistance. 

[video=youtube]

Back