lower body paint argent/black measurement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1 (wife's)
Tried a search, no joy.

Is there a reference in the factory assembly manual or otherwise that would give the measurements on how wide the lower body accent paint (argent or black) is?

Not sure if our painter can find this info. So I'd like to know for myself and provide him with the info.

Thanks

Go to the 429 megasite pretty sure it is documented there

Also which end of the wiring harness block did you need [ green connector ]

I have a parts harness, you can have the part you need off of it, let me know and I'll send it to you

Tried a search, no joy.

Is there a reference in the factory assembly manual or otherwise that would give the measurements on how wide the lower body accent paint (argent or black) is?

Not sure if our painter can find this info. So I'd like to know for myself and provide him with the info.

Thanks
Here is the web link for what Don is referring to.   http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm   Shoiuld give you most of what you need.

http://www.429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

If you want it done right, I highly recommend you print out that entire web page and go over it with him in detail. Several times. And one more time. I did that with my painter, gave him a notebook with printouts and whole slew of pictures showing dimensions and how to mask and he STILL screwed it up. I swear it;s the chemicals....

If you have the lower body bright moldings, set the paint line break right at the center of the molding holes and studs, or at the bottom edge. The factory applied the lower body color first, then it was masked off and the primary color was sprayed. The masking was anything but precise. Make sure he knows the proper pattern on the rockers and jambs.

If you're having the taillight panel replaced, be sure to remind him to pre-drill the holes for the honeycomb panel trim and to fill the holes for the 73-only bumper filler. He also needs to fill the holes in the bumper recess in the rear quarter, another 73-only thing.

Thanks all! Will visit the 429mustangcougarinfo site. Chemicals...that explains much Hemikiller. They (paint/body guys) do have talents I do not though.

Not going with lower body bright trim molding. Deciding on just running an thin argent stripe in place of that. I've seen that done (in black) in a build on this site and rather like the idea, as it looks good when the molding is absent.

Thanks for the tailpanel tips. The honeycomb panel is now on the list for stuff that is going to the bodyshop tomorrow.

It's the green connector for the engine bay harness Don. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those green connectors to the back of the fuse box are now reproduced: VA Classic Mustangs and NPD carries them, as probably do others.

I have an original 72 Mach 1 with Argent paint and no chrome from factory. I can get you some pics maybe later today. I have not looked at the 429 info to confirm if same. How it is masked off inside the door sill and post is also specific. I also have an original 73 vert with Decor Group and black on bottom and has the trim. 

Also the Mustang Monthly info for hood black or argent is wrong and I have been told by other members that the current templates they sell are also wrong. I have an original I can get you a rub off of the hood paint if you need.

I have an original 72 Mach 1 with Argent paint and no chrome from factory. I can get you some pics maybe later today. I have not looked at the 429 info to confirm if same. How it is masked off inside the door sill and post is also specific. I also have an original 73 vert with Decor Group and black on bottom and has the trim. 

Also the Mustang Monthly info for hood black or argent is wrong and I have been told by other members that the current templates they sell are also wrong. I have an original I can get you a rub off of the hood paint if you need.

Thanks! Pics would be fantastic. With maybe a tape measure/ruler for reference.

My wife wants the hood in body color only. No argent. So thanks for the offer of the rub off of the hood paint. 

What determined hood painted in argent/black?

Dark colors got argent and light colors got black
Thanks jpaz! 

Sorry my question was not asked well enough to be understood. I'll try again;

What determined whether the hood got accent paint (argent or black) or was left alone in body color? Was it the hockey stripe option and/or rear spoiler?

thanks all. Please forgive my ignorance (this time :) ).

Dark colors got argent and light colors got black
Thanks jpaz! 

Sorry my question was not asked well enough to be understood. I'll try again;

What determined whether the hood got accent paint (argent or black) or was left alone in body color? Was it the hockey stripe option and/or rear spoiler?

thanks all. Please forgive my ignorance (this time  :)  ).
71-73 hood paint and locks was part of the Ram Air option. 

73-only, it was also available as the TuTone option with NASA hood, locks and the paint - without any RamAir bits. IMO, Ford did this to allow those ordering the Q-code 351-4V to have the contrasting hood paint, since they f'd up the emissions testing on the 4V Ram air option.

Thanks for the info!

Interesting history for the 73 model year and emissions. Ooops!
Brett,

Here is a pic of my car with the lower body paint. Don't forget the small black stripe just above the body line. This is/was a tape line that can still be purchased. Good luck.

Jeff

In 72 if you got a Q code you got a NASA hood. You did not get the hood paint unless you got Ram Air with hood locks. In 73 you got the painted hood with the hood locks for $18.00 had nothing to do with Mach 1 package. 

Here are some pictures it has been raining. I did not have tape measure. Like someone said the thin line above the Argent is part of the tape stripe. They get applied at the body line can get a better pic with some dimensions. 

You can see beside each tail light where it was masked off and black to hide body color from the black plastic panel.

My yard is full of rusty metal.

Thanks all for the pics!!!

Absolutely gorgeous convertible Jeff.

Sad to see the blue Mach 1 became reclaimed by the earth David. If only cars could talk. The tales they could tell.

Thanks for the info!

Interesting history for the 73 model year and emissions. Ooops!

Yeah that F up affected most 1972 and all 1973 Mustangs.

Lots info in other threads on this site about how it all happened.

Ray

Thanks all for the pics!!!

Absolutely gorgeous convertible Jeff.

Sad to see the blue Mach 1 became reclaimed by the earth David. If only cars could talk. The tales they could tell.
It got crashed in 1975 by a friend of mine and I bought off the insurance lot. It is pretty rare actually a T-5 with just 32,000 miles. Was brought back from Germany by a Sargent in Army, they charged $1.00 to ship it. It is actually the only 1972 Q code 4 speed in the T-5 registry. The vert was taken apart in 1970's and just never had time to do anything. 289 A code 4 speed. They were so cheap back then could get them for hundreds not thousands.

Here's a few pics of the car i painted a couple years ago. I copied exactly what was originally on the car. This does have the lower bright moldings so that wont help you but it will give you an idea where the door jambs got painted and the rear tail light panel. This car got shot with SEM Hot Rod Black.   On my car we painted the small stripe above the lower black and did not use a sticker, it was easier and looked way better.

Back