Odd question for the "Bigger" guys here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Base 6 cylinder, and 72 Base 351C
I know this is the page for off topic, boy do I have an "Off topic" question, lol!

I am a big guy... 6 foot 7, and north of 300#, so I have a belly! 

I am 53 years old, and have always worn my belt at around the bellybutton. I have always had trouble with my pants wanting to fall down, and always have to hitch them up.. Every time I stand up from a chair, or walk far, ect. 

I also have a concealed carry permit, that I mainly use to have my gun at work at my desk . (I manage a salvage yard, and usually by myself in the office) But lately have been thinking about carrying on my person more, with just how things are nowadays.

So, I started looking into holsters and methods to carry for "Bigger" guys. And most of the people have their belt below their belly, so it overhangs the belt. So today, I had an old pair of pants that are smaller, and wore them to work, with the belt below my gut. Feels odd, like I am going to show plumbers crack everywhere, lol, but I'm not constantly hitching my pants up.  

Being that I am tall, even with my "Tall" shirts, they just barely come to my belt if I wear like this, so not sure if the conceal is going to be much of an option.

So, my question to you bigger guys, is where do you wear your belt? Around your gut, or below it? I'm almost thinking I have been doing it wrong for decades, but also not sure if I want skin showing, or almost showing, and if I have to reach up would DEFF be showing (And honestly, who wants to see that!)

How's that for an off topic post? lol . I'll be back to my Mustang build thread soon, I have the car in the garage, and getting some pics for an update. But I thought maybe this would be a good place for some advice, on a topic that is a little delicate to ask around home. Thanks!

Overalls or suspenders are your friend. I have a belly, though I am not as tall as you and when I wear jeans with my belt snug below my belly, I lack the hips and buttocks to not have my pants driven down. If I wore my gun in a IWB holster, upon drawing, my pants would fall down. Now that might be of a tactical advantage as I could get my shot off while they were laughing, but it sure would make chasing them down or running away a real bitch.

Consider a shoulder holster and a light jacket when possible, it is far more comfortable.

Agree with Jeff on the suspenders. They work great for those that need the extra holding power or just don't have any hips anymore. I'm 69 and gave up on caring how I look. Rather look dorky and be comfortable then trying to dress have way descent and be miserable. I carry a beretta pico 380 in my back pocket. Pants are loose enough that you can't tell it from a wallet. Has a pocket holster that is made from a material that grips clothing keeping it from moving around and makes it easy to pull the gun out if needed.

Try the dickies brand suspenders that go under your shirt, I like them a lot, they hook onto your belt

[lately have been thinking about carrying on my person more, with just how things are nowadays.]

That is some sad and scary statement. Hope you'll never have to use it.

What kind of salvage yard do you have/run?

I know this is the page for off topic, boy do I have an "Off topic" question, lol!

I am a big guy... 6 foot 7, and north of 300#, so I have a belly! 

I am 53 years old, and have always worn my belt at around the bellybutton. I have always had trouble with my pants wanting to fall down, and always have to hitch them up.. Every time I stand up from a chair, or walk far, ect. 

I also have a concealed carry permit, that I mainly use to have my gun at work at my desk . (I manage a salvage yard, and usually by myself in the office) But lately have been thinking about carrying on my person more, with just how things are nowadays.

So, I started looking into holsters and methods to carry for "Bigger" guys. And most of the people have their belt below their belly, so it overhangs the belt. So today, I had an old pair of pants that are smaller, and wore them to work, with the belt below my gut. Feels odd, like I am going to show plumbers crack everywhere, lol, but I'm not constantly hitching my pants up.  

Being that I am tall, even with my "Tall" shirts, they just barely come to my belt if I wear like this, so not sure if the conceal is going to be much of an option.

So, my question to you bigger guys, is where do you wear your belt? Around your gut, or below it? I'm almost thinking I have been doing it wrong for decades, but also not sure if I want skin showing, or almost showing, and if I have to reach up would DEFF be showing (And honestly, who wants to see that!)

How's that for an off topic post? lol . I'll be back to my Mustang build thread soon, I have the car in the garage, and getting some pics for an update. But I thought maybe this would be a good place for some advice, on a topic that is a little delicate to ask around home. Thanks!
So I see that you decided to wear your belt below your gut.   Click on to play. https://www.facebook.com/josh.dwyer.355/videos/10220333801473981/?t=0

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.   rofl

Last edited by a moderator:
Same issue here...I wear my belt below my gut so concealed carry is hard!  I mainly carry a M&P Shield 9mm in a pocket holster

[lately have been thinking about carrying on my person more, with just how things are nowadays.]

That is some sad and scary statement. Hope you'll never have to use it.

What kind of salvage yard do you have/run?
We buy junk cars and scrap metals of all kinds. We also sell parts. We mainly have cars from the mid 2000's back. We have a few older cars, at one point about 200 or so from the 30's-70's, but have been slowly crushing them (As much as I hate that!) But only 1 72 Mustang, or what's left of it, which isn't much, lol!

Or...alternatively, cut out the carbohydrates, saturated fats and process refined sugars for 4 weeks. Cook with Olive oil

and fairly quickly, the brown fat cells that make up most of belly fat can no longer be contained. Downsize a bit and get healthier, live longer and enjoy tinkering with cars a lot longer. 

I became half the man I was before.

Thanks for the replies! I decided to try the suspenders route. I got some good ones, and have worn them a couple of days. Not as bad as I had thought. I think mostly it was a mental thing, where I didn't want to be one of those old guys wearing them, lol.

But so far, so good. I have also been wearing them at work while packing. With my Ruger LC9, works really well.  With my full sized S&W .40, it is a lot of weight, still works but not as well. I will experiment with both, and see what I like. The smaller one would be better when it gets warm again, easier to hide, but I also like 15 rounds better than 7, so will have to try both and see what works.

And I am in agreement, losing some weight would be a good thing. I was on keto a couple of years ago, and lost a bit, but have gained some back. I think it is time to put more effort in on that, with a better, more realistic sustainable way of eating. I'm not getting any younger, lol, and need to do something before it is too late!

Latest posts

Back