Low Mile '73 Fasback...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop
This is a nice almost completely original '73 Fastback. I put it in this section for those that are looking to return their car's to factory, this one tell's a lot about how they were built in '73 and would help in this regard... Don't think the rear black applique is right, but, nothing is perfect :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164022799538

Couple of questions on this one. First off it is a very nice car. This is more me trying to educate myself.

It’s a sports roof so should it not have the honeycomb rear panel?

Are the trim rings missing on the wheels?

Shouldn’t the steering column be ginger and not black?

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of questions on this one. First off it is a very nice car. This is more me trying to educate myself.

It’s a sports roof so should it not have the honeycomb rear panel?

Are the trim rings missing on the wheels?

Shouldn’t the steering column be ginger and not black?
The information I have (I have a copy of the '73 dealership Salesman's "Car Facts Organizer Binder"):

The 1973 Sportsroof came with, "Rear applique with bright surround molding". In comparison, the Mach 1 came with, "Black honeycomb lower back panel applique with bright metal moldings"... This is why I questioned it originally...

Similar to my, '73 Hardtop, this Sportsroof does incorporate the standard, "Bright Stainless steel hubcap's". This was the base offering for the wheel's.

Again, similar to my '73 Hardtop, this Sportsroof came with the standard, "Deluxe two spoke steering wheel with simulated woodtone insert". As it incorporates the same standard ginger interior as my hardtop, they both have the black steering column with the ginger colour steering wheel. I believe you had to upgrade to the deluxe interior to get the colour matching steering column.

Good eye Ken. The honeycomb rear panel was exclusive to the Mach 1. The textured rear panel was standard on all other versions of the 73 Mustang.

Since this is a base level vehicle the shiny or chrome finish dog dish hub caps are standard. The dog dish/trim ring was standard on the Mach 1 and an option on all other models. They would also have a brushed finish on the trim rings and hub caps.

Most of the base level 71-73 Mustangs I have seen had black lower steering column trim while models with higher trim level interiors had color-keyed lower column trim.

73 Mach 1 Sport interior with color keyed lower column trim

Thanks for the clarification. Especially on the column, as I have a ginger interior in my Grande and the column is ginger, the above answers certainly explain the difference.

The seat belts are also black. On the three ginger interior cars I have they are ginger but were the deluxe interior.

The trunk does not look original for sure. Would be one that you need to look at in person. The finish on the roof to quarter panel is way better than any I have seen in person including mine. There are wrinkles in the corners of the rear window opening on mine from the mfg stamping process. The body work on roof to quarter is horrible on my car also lots of waves. Again pictures do make a car look much better than it is. The company that has it I use to visit when I was working with John Deere they never had really correct cars.

The seat belts are also black. On the three ginger interior cars I have they are ginger but were the deluxe interior.

The trunk does not look original for sure. Would be one that you need to look at in person. The finish on the roof to quarter panel is way better than any I have seen in person including mine. There are wrinkles in the corners of the rear window opening on mine from the mfg stamping process. The body work on roof to quarter is horrible on my car also lots of waves. Again pictures do make a car look much better than it is. The company that has it I use to visit when I was working with John Deere they never had really correct cars.

Haha. You kill me... Love your review’s... But, in this instance, I think I will stand by my belief that this is a pretty original car...

If they changed the tail panel why would they keep anything else original. I do not see original for sure. Originals have really bad paint and body work. That is why they did not sell black unless special order. To difficult to even make them look decent. Easy to skim on bondo and make slick. The paint just looks too good but like I say all pictures make a car look good. You have to look in person to know.

That company use to keep cars at the airport and were never correct just shiny used cars. 

Heck a local guy here with used car lot use to spay nearly every car he took in to make them shiny had full time body guy just to make them look better. They use lacquer back then to make them shiny.

I'd hazard a guess that that car came with the honeycomb. I know it should have came with textured one but the car companies make mistakes all the time. Maybe they were out of the correct part that day? Maybe a worker just screwed up? My 70 Boss 302 came with Mach 1 interior except the seats including the fancy Mach 1 clock above the glove box & Mach 1 badging on the dash. It wasn't listed on the window sticker. Did my uncle or me complain about getting a free upgrade? What do you think? I once saw a new Pontiac parisenne in a dealers showroom with an impala dash in it complete with impala badging,  my 2001 Chevy Silverado came with a 5 speed stick & a Speedo cluster with PRNDL in it. $hi+ happens.

M9Powell. Yes, I agree that there were anomalies on the assembly line. My point was simply that if the car was assembled correctly, no honeycomb. To add credence to your thought, my 71 J Code Vert came with the NACA hood/ ram air and is being supported by non ram air hood springs. Sure they could have been changed out before I got the car, however, the date code of the hinges were correct for the build date of my car as well as the overall patina  of the hinges and springs. So, I left them on the car when I restored it. The key as I see it for the impending critical reviews by the experts... is being able to show proof ie. history showing the part installed many years ago. In my case, I took pictures before restoring the car, along with the part mfr. date code within 60 day’s of the car’s build date. This gives some ability to have a discussion about how the car may have left the factory. 

As for this car, it would be nice if there were some old pictures that came with the car’s paperwork showing the honey comb piece installed back in the day. Silence the critic’s...

Yea, it'd be nice, but I doubt the owners even realised the honeycomb was incorrect or cared. Back in the day this car wasn't anything special. A green 302 2bl with a 3 speed didn't exactly get your attention. A girls car.

For the standard wheel offering, I believe the trim ring and cap was an option for all but a few 71-3 Mustangs.  All documentation I have shows the plain hubcap aka "bright stainless steel hub caps" or "chrome hub caps" or "bright chrome-plated wheel covers" the standard wheel feature for all 71-3 Mustang Hardtops, Sportsroofs and Convertibles. This wheel cover was never available on 72 or 73 Grandes, Mach 1's, Boss 351's.  I was also never available on any 1972 and 1973 Hardtops, Sportsroofs and Convertibles factory optioned with those years' respective Décor Group options.  As for the Grande,  this standard wheel cover was available in 1971 only. In 1972 and again in 1973, the Grande was equipped with a unique "New deluxe wheel cover". 

I can't find anything that shows just the plain cap without the ring as a production line possibility.  I have seen what appear to be some pretty original cars where the wheels were body color and just the caps were used.  I usually like that poverty/basic look - just don't think they came that way.  Would love to see some documentation to better prove either way.  Again - I consider this no rig look a tasteful mod for many cars.

I tried to concentrate on the standard equipment offerings so I did not include much on 71-3  trim rings and caps, 71-3 Sports Wheel covers, 71-72 Magnums or the 73 Aluminum slotted mag wheels. 

Sure hope this helps.   I had to do some digging to try and make sure I am correct using all my reference material.

Ray

Ray,

If you look carefully at the wording Ford used, when they say "hub cap", they mean only what many call the "dog dish". When "wheel cover" is noted, it's the full wheel cover with the simulated "spokes". There is a discrepancy with the hub cap in that in some places it's "stainless", other it's "chrome". When we talk about "standard", it does not apply to any special body types (Grande', Boss, Mach 1), nor does it apply to any of the "packages" (Spring Special coupe, Sprint), it applies to only absolute base with no options applied - 01 coupe, 02 sportsroof and 03 convertible. 

Reading through the facts booklets, this is what I get for the wheel treatments as standard. 

71 - hub cap only

72 - full wheel cover

73 - hub cap only

I personally have owned two cars that were hub cap only cars with no evidence of a trim ring. An F-code 71 coupe, and an L-code 73 convertible. Both had body colored steel wheels and (edit) *no* scarring of the paint typical of installation and removal of the trim rings. 

IMO, most of the confusion stems from the interchangeable use of "hub cap" with "wheel cover", it just rolls off the tongue much easier. 

Ray,

If you look carefully at the wording Ford used, when they say "hub cap", they mean only what many call the "dog dish". When "wheel cover" is noted, it's the full wheel cover with the simulated "spokes". There is a discrepancy with the hub cap in that in some places it's "stainless", other it's "chrome". When we talk about "standard", it does not apply to any special body types (Grande', Boss, Mach 1), nor does it apply to any of the "packages" (Spring Special coupe, Sprint), it applies to only absolute base with no options applied - 01 coupe, 02 sportsroof and 03 convertible. 

Reading through the facts booklets, this is what I get for the wheel treatments as standard. 

71 - hub cap only

72 - full wheel cover

73 - hub cap only

I personally have owned two cars that were hub cap only cars with no evidence of a trim ring. An F-code 71 coupe, and an L-code 73 convertible. Both had body colored steel wheels and scarring of the paint typical of installation and removal of the trim rings. 

IMO, most of the confusion stems from the interchangeable use of "hub cap" with "wheel cover", it just rolls off the tongue much easier. 
Hemi,

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe this needs to be its own thread!  "trim rings and caps vs caps without trim rings" under concourse?  Eric or other moderator - help?  THX

I do see how it could be as you mention but if both of your cars wheels had "scaring of the paint typical of installation and removal of the trim rings", doesn't that show the rings were indeed installed?   I do have to say your comment I quoted appears to be a typo as it goes against the idea of your previous statements.  (LOL) 

I am having a hard time seeing anywhere the simple cap without trim ring is identified. And none of the standard equipped pics show them.  Maybe someone who knows how to decipher the build sheets can find something on this????  And again I don't think the configuration is impossible - but I can't see anything conclusive where just a cap was offered sans rings - YET. 

My cousin sold these cars new.  He said even though a slight increase on the sticker - many of the cars were equipped with the trim rings and caps to make them look a little more "racy".  He even saw this on stock (not ordered)  cars .  Plain jane cars were sold to budget minded buyers.  When they lost or someone stole their trim rings, many times they didn't replace.  How many late model cars do you see running around with missing or no wheel covers - many!   Same idea. 

BUT - I do remember back in-the-day seeing wheels painted body color and caps with no trim rings  - especially on Mavericks!  Maybe we can find a dealer pic with some cars so equipped?  That could be helpful.

Looking for some better supporting documentation.  If anyone has a window sticker showing the hub cap only I would like to see it.  Trim rings with caps would be an upgrade to any hardtop, sportsroof or convertible and therefore show a dollar amount on the respective window sticker.

Unfortunately Ford's poorly worked documentation causes this type of confusion. 

Ray

Hemi,

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe this needs to be its own thread!  "trim rings and caps vs caps without trim rings" under concourse?  Eric or other moderator - help?  THX

I do see how it could be as you mention but if both of your cars wheels had "scaring of the paint typical of installation and removal of the trim rings", doesn't that show the rings were indeed installed?   I do have to say your comment I quoted appears to be a typo as it goes against the idea of your previous statements.  (LOL) 
Yes, I was missing a "no", which I've gone back and edited...  😉

The 71 coupe was a 2B Bright Red w/black top and interior. It looked pretty sharp with the red wheels. The 'vert was 3B Light Blue w/blue interior. Not terrible looking, but baby blue was never by thing. 

Hello Ray,

Another area where there is plenty of confusion and misunderstanding to go around for everyone. As Hemikiller stated you have to understand Ford "Speak" or terminology to understand the different covers used. Wheel cover was what Ford considered the full wheel cover that covered the entire wheel and was retained by serrated teeth against the wheel behind the outer flange. Hub caps were used on base/entry-level, fleet, police, and taxi cab cars and cover the center of the wheel and lug nuts. They were retained by snapping over dimpled or raised areas on the center part of the wheel. When Ford introduced the new Styled steel wheel on the 65 Mustang there was another new cover to deal with, the "Center Cap". These caps were ornamental and much like the Magnum caps we are familiar had fingers that snapped into a hole in the center of the wheel. The covers used on the 73 aluminum wheel were considered center caps and were retained by screws.

The base entry-level Mustang used a shiny or chrome finish hub cap. What Ford called the finish on these caps varied on what publication you were using. As Hemikiller also stated these vehicles normally had painted wheels that matched the body-color. With the exception of special-edition cars such as such as the 71 Spring Special and 72 Sprint Mustangs, the hub cap/trim ring version was standard only on the 71 Boss and 71-73 Mach 1's. These cars used a hub cap with a brushed finish that matched the brushed finish on the trim rings.

The brushed finish hub cap/trim ring was available as a standalone-option and was included in various Decor group options offered from 71-73. All had a single circular black stripe and "Ford Motor Company" lettering. The exception for the Mustang is the 72 Sprint edition which had a 3F Grabber Blue stripe and lettering. The only other color variation was on the 71 Torino Spring Special edition which had a red, lime green, or yellow color depending on body color.

The 71 Grande has a standard full wheel cover that was available as an option on all other models except the Boss and Mach 1. The 72 and 73 Grande had a new full deluxe wheel cover that was sourced from the new 72 Gran Torino and was not available on other models. The 71-72 style full wheel cover was still available for all other 73's except Mach 1 and decor group cars. There were some body color versions of the Deluxe wheel cover used on the Luxury/Brougham version of the Gran Torino but were not used on the Mustang Grande. The trim ring/hub cap and Sports Wheel cover continued to be a standalone option for 71-73 except when model restricted.

Ray, this has probably gone a little beyond your original dog dish/trim ring subject. There were so many different style covers and finishes used on different models that some have appeared on Mustangs and first time non original owners were told they were OE.                                  

Yea, it'd be nice, but I doubt the owners even realised the honeycomb was incorrect or cared. Back in the day this car wasn't anything special. A green 302 2bl with a 3 speed didn't exactly get your attention. A girls car.
A girl’s Car? LOL OK...  I was considering your point’s until I read that statement... I see other comments here re: Baby blue being less then acceptable to some. What everyone here needs to remember is that there are many owner’s on this site with green, baby blue, pastel blue, blah blah, blah. Not very helpful IMO. Whatever...

Back