72 Q code Sportsroof

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Q Code barn find, 72 R code project
Project has been stalled for about a year.  Bought Dec 31 2018.  Jan 2020 I’ve become energized to make some progress.   Q code, auto, air, PS, Competition suspension, magnums.  Originally brown metallic w/ tan interior.  Final color for the build not yet settled on, but leaning towards Calypso Coral.  This will be as correct a resto as I can manage, within reason.  Some minor details will be off.  The overall theme will be period correct but not build sheet concourse perfect.

Stock rebuild on the short block, new valves and seats.  I have a nice set of headers and a nice JBA full exhaust from another long gone project. I’ll send the trans out for a freshen up.  Adding a trac loc and changing gears to a 3.50 set I have.

I pulled the front suspension off last spring.  Removed interior this past summer.  Fenders came yesterday.  Engine and trans out today.  Next, rear suspension and doors will come off.  Then I’ll start fixing all the sheet metal.  Minor rust in the usual places.  Nothing terrible.  The worst thing is the Frenched antenna on passenger fender.

It was tweaked in a slight front end accident.  Bondo in both fenders, in the front.   Bonus was this interesting pile of bizarre hardware holding the front of the front end on. Look close and you can see: bailing wire, wood screws, carriage bolts, metric hardware store nuts and bolts, flat head machine screws, an extra underside fender support.  Quite a challenge to get some of them out.

Plus the previous gremlins masquerading as mechanics installed a Metric bolt into the alternator. Took a 4 foot cheater bar to break it free.  Pulled the threads out with it.  Now it is stuck well and good in the alternator and spacer.  I was able to move it this far with a BFH.  Then it stopped.  Some heat, a punch and a bigger FH will no doubt persuade this Limey cork sucker loose.

picture upload

Here’s yesterday’s work, same pic as a previous post.

Here’s today’s progress

Last edited by a moderator:
Removed passenger inner fender. Found a small rusted through area on core support, which will need a patch.

Should get the new panel in today, and tomorrow remove the other side inner panel.

The assortment of tools I used

You might already have it. Don't forget the reinforcement that goes under the inner fender that holds the battery box. sits on top of frame rail and welds to the inner fender. You can get on Ebay but he is sold out right now or was last week.
Yep.  The original was well eaten away.  Nothing left but the perimeter frame of the bracket. Have one going in, and another on order. 

spent the day with family and didn’t spend but a couple hours on the car.  New panel is fully fitted and mostly ready. Need to make one small patch repair on the core support tomorrow, then it will be time to weld in the new panel and move on to the next one.

Second panel in, or rather test fit and ready for welding. Core support on this side was pushed in a little. A little hammer and dolly work and I think it is back to its original shape.

Hay Danny (Mark from Boss302 .com)

Glad to see you here and making progress on a later car !! Guess we all (though have 69's etc) are restorers (I did my Boss 351 in 2017). I find that I only spend time on the forums that I'm doing a given car (right now working on a very early car).

Again nice to see you,

Mark

P.S. Hung up the competition licence after a bit of time with NHRA car. There is lots of historical race car stuff around Dearborn so I can't say I won't restore any other race cars.

Great to see you here. It’s a small and getting smaller old Mustang world.

I was super excited to find this car. I got the first bit started, and then got busy with work, then the TA Boss needed it’s annual thrash to get ready for CoTA. Making good progress this week. Might have the front end sheet metal and paint done in a week.

Drivers rear inner panel fit and ready. Splicing in at a natural bend in the panel. Everything below the seam is pristine.

Will get passenger side out and same spliced in panel fit tomorrow. Then clean, clean clean, prep, weld and paint.

Good times. Trying to finish by Saturday. I go back to work for a busy week to 7 days straight Saturday night. Nothing will get done until this flurry of work commitments wraps up later in the month.

Missus Danoh1 is requesting Grabber Lime, with Anti Establish Mint being mentioned....this is a new twist. To be continued

Been stalled for almost a week. Got the 4 corners out and 3 of the 4 test fit in. Thursday a piece of rusty metal cut through my glove and got my primary hand thumb. Not a bad wound by any stretch. I’ve had far worse. But right on the corner of the outside of the thumb and nail. Who knew there were so many nerves there. The slightest contact sends red hot pain signals to my brain at the speed of light. Amazing. I’ve been effectively thumbless since. No matter what you do, tying a boot, buttoning your shirt, picking up a bag....there is your thumb getting at least some minor contact with that exact small, sensitive area.

Yikes. Hope to get back at it Saturday at the latest.

Back