Wires Underneath Driver's Seat

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark73mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351C-4V, Ram Air, FMX, Wimbledon White
1969 Ford Mustang Sportsroof, 445-4V, T-5, Black Jade
1973 Ford Mustang Convertible
Hi Everyone,  

I'm re doing the interior and noticed that the underneath driver seat I have three wire connectors.  Two are green plastic and connect together so no problem.  The remaining wire is brown but I don't see another connector to connect it to.  What does it go to?

The Mach 1 has the "Convenience Group" which includes the "Seat Back Latch - Automatic".  The passenger seat has four wires which all connect to each other so no problem again.

Also the seat back latch automatic system has a solenoid assembly for each seat.  Does anyone know where I can purchase the solenoid assembly from?

KIMG0104.JPG

KIMG0103.JPG

It is quite possible your wire harness is a Cougar that they were using up during 73 model run out. My Mach 1 had a Cougar harness in the console which included a lighted ash tray. Also have the extra plug under the drivers seat. The extra plug under the seat is probably for Power Seat option that was on Cougar. 

You will probably have to buy a use solenoid for the seat back release. I do not know of any NOS but probably out there somewhere.

Ok. I didn't know they cross matched wiring harnesses between the cars.

Each harness is unique if you have gauges, idiot lights, convenience  group, AC etc. They use up what they have at the end of a model. They put the wrong rear in my car and I broke 3 times before dealer called in a Ford tech and he saw immediately. They even called and wanted to put automatic in my car instead of 4 speed and I said no way. I got 4 speed.

Mark,

There are two different seatback release solenoids used on the 71-73 Mustang and Cougar. The early model with the center-mounted latch handle (ID# D1ZB-AA, Part# D1ZZ-6562690-A) and the later outboard version (D1ZB-AB, Part# D1ZZ-6562690-B). To my knowledge, there are no repo versions of this part being manufactured at this time. Occasionally they will show up on E-Bay and are normally priced like they are made of a precious metal. Since your Mustang is a 73 it should have the later "B" version. A search of the D1ZZ-B number indicated a couple of possible sources.  https://nospartsltd.com/product/d1zz6562690b/  I have used NOS a few times and have had positive results.

https://www.rearcounter.com/D1ZZ-6562690-B-parts61193.html      Rear Counter is the search engine and the dealer they show in Olathe, Kansas I don't have any experience with.

I know a few of these were disconnected by owners who did not like the noise or operation of the solenoids. So there may be a Forum member who may have one looking for a new home.  Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang are Forum members here and also have parts cars. They might be able to assist you if you decide to take that route.

Good luck with your search.

D1ZB-AA Center mount latch solenoid

D1ZB-BB Outboard mount latch solenoid

Back