Marti Report

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed
1973 Chevelle 454 SS
2005 Magnum RT
2008 Colorado
We are doing a total teardown on this car. Rough guess is 2.5 years. No intentions of FULL RESTORATION due to planned bolt on modifications. Toploader 4 speed, 70 block, 71 closed chamber heads, Ford performance intake. you get the picture.

I noticed your Marti shows the car came with Radial tires. I've only seen that on a couple of Marti reports here. I believe there was a thread about different alignment specs being needed for radials if my memory is correct.

I noticed your Marti shows the car came with Radial tires. I've only seen that on a couple of Marti reports here. I believe there was a thread about different alignment specs being needed for radials if my memory is correct.
Yes there was Mike. I am also curious about those specs as my car came with E70's and now has the equivalent in a radial.

mike

Cool options! Also, I never seen the non ram air car get a two tone hood...that's different. I'm curious if it originally had the twist hood locks also. Any brackets still on the radiator support?

Based on the green I found under the locks, I'm pretty sure this is the original hood. Someone painted it red at some point and the guy I bought it from just sprayed the entire car in primer (I guess he thought that would help preserve it). And that was how it sat for 4 years. Hell he even left the the tape on the chrome so you know I've got my work cut out. I'll try to find the thread about the radial alignment. Which brackets are you referring to? If you mean for the locks, yeah they are there I took the locks off the hood to check for rot. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sanding it will be. Poor Rocketfoot has been tring to do my banner and everytime I get more info on the car, I'm asking him to change it because I intend to do the colors right.

Mark, can I change my answer? I relooked at your Marti and saw that your green was the dark green. The dark green cars usually had the silver accent colors.

Really tho you can paint it either way. Black would be more stealthy but the silver would be the probable factory color.

I'll sand down the hood tomorrow and see. Thanks for the input, especially about the radial tire alignment. The fellow I used on my 73 Chevelle retired and I doubt they'll let him use their machine to do the Mustang. A good front end man, is as good as a good body man, is as good as a good tune man. Oh well that's what we have this forum for is to get all of the experience of the group. And you guys are quality. ::yourock::

I have had "Fire" (my '73 Mach 1) from the day it was delivered from the factory. It, too, came with the Tu-Tone hood and has/had the twist on locks.

BT

Cool options! Also, I never seen the non ram air car get a two tone hood...that's different. I'm curious if it originally had the twist hood locks also. Any brackets still on the radiator support?
Due to emissions restrictions, in 73 "working" Ram air was only available on a 351-2V. The other engines got the "two-tone" hood treatment as you see on this car.

JRP

marks73,

Here is what I found from one of my Ford books relative to whether hood and bottom rockers got black or argent accents.

All exterior paint colors use BLACK hood/valance/lower rockers etc. EXCEPT...

1971...A,C,J,6 got Argent

1972/73...4Q,3K,4C...got Argent

So what do I need to do? Just sand the hood down to see what the Tu tone color was? Or does some body know? White, Black, Silver???
As for the correct hood secondary color, it would either be Black or Argent (silver) - not white.

For your dark green car - I'd guess argent.

Ray

Back