At Friends shop just in 1967 Z-28 Matching #'s

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I was out at my friend Clay's shop. The owner of a numbers matching 1967 Z-28 Camaro just dropped the car off. Clay is to sort out the car will not fall out of a tree but sounds like a full out race car.

it has the off road 2- 4- V set up on it with the cam installed. It sounds crazy strong has the chambered exhaut no mufflers, but will not fall out of a tree. The owner paid $104,000 at Mecum auctions for the car. Has original interior and body and details are pretty good. Clay will sort it out be has told the owner to loose the 2-4 and go back to single 4. 

I will get some video of the engine running. Will have to send pics from my phone to post. Just showing what the Mustang had to hold up to.

I use to help guy at the local DuPont paint store with his 67 Z-28. We changed the ball joints several times due to wheel stands when at the strip. They did run for sure.

What people spend on these cars is crazy and then they are not right. Auctions are a pig in a poke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to pictures David! Only 602 made for 67 and probably not many remaining today.

My better half is the Mustang gal, I'm the Camaro nut in the family. Wish I would have bought a Z28 (68) years ago. I thought they were expensive 20-25 years ago and they were when compared to my income level at the time. Present day I wouldn't even consider one, as I could remodel my house for current prices.

It'd be nice if we could keep this site Mustang related  :whistling:
That's why David posted in the off-topic section :)

I'd like to see some pics too, great cars!

What I don't get is all that talk about cars falling out of trees???

Looking forward to pictures David! Only 602 made for 67 and probably not many remaining today.

My better half is the Mustang gal, I'm the Camaro nut in the family. Wish I would have bought a Z28 (68) years ago. I thought they were expensive 20-25 years ago and they were when compared to my income level at the time. Present day I wouldn't even consider one, as I could remodel my house for current prices.
Brett,

To keep the space on the site to mustangs PM me your email and I will send you pics. I think he told me that a little over 200 of them had been found. I just thought some of the car nuts would be interested in seeing a rare car especially with the original engine and the 2 - 4 set up on such a tiny engine. It puts our not torque I think it was 200+ torque but over 400 on HP. when you would it up. Hope to get some video of it running before he starts working on it. He said it is as loud as his over 500 CI Pontiac drag car. The guy wants to drive it on the street not just a show car.

My better half is the Mustang gal, I'm the Camaro nut in the family. 
I've had quite a few different cars over the years, but, never had a Chevy. That early Z-28 ( 302 ) would be a nice car to have, were I to have a Camaro.

Ok here are some pics. Having horrible time getting them from phone to computer.

I will take pics off after a week to keep pic count down.

The big issue with these is that withe the 2-4 set up they only run good at wide open full rpm. Not a drive able set up. Will probably pull that off.

The blue GTO you see in some pics Clay is fixing some of the really bad areas on the car. Some areas he has taped off the paint pulls off when you remove the tape. Guy got ripped off big time.

banana and honey mask

Pretty Z28! Original engine? The trim tag is hard to read blown up, but it does appear to show 2L and 4L (4 speed and Z28).
It is real one of 220 + that are in the registry. I have not heard it run but he says it is crazy loud with the chambered exhaust which is straight pipes with a few baffles. I think he said the dyno results was only 200+ torque but over 400 hp. Have to be wide open high rpm for it to run right so the 2-4 set up is coming off. They came with the 2-4 in the trunk and dealer had to install.

I would love to drive a Z28 with crossram dual 4's at least once. Just to row through the gears and hear the motor sing!

Awesome that it is in the registry! Bonafide. No Marti reports in the Chevrolet world.

David, it is beyond amazing that a 50+-year-old performance vehicle such as that Z-28 still has the original powertrain. Thanks to a nearby base there were quite a few of those type vehicles around. I was still going to school and working part-time at a service station pumping gas and working on cars in the service bays. ( remember those)!?  So looking at pictures of them in Hot Rod magazine is all I could afford.

Most of those cars had some hellacious rear gears  (Drag Pack Boss 302  Mustangs were 3.91 and 4.30, standard was a 3.50) so just normal cruising kept those small blocks turning pretty tight.  Also, keep in mind that during that time big block monsters roamed and ruled the land. I know of a few Z's and Bosses that were on the hook and at the dealer Monday mornings with new ventilation holes in the block.

A friend of mine has a 67 R code Fairlane (427 with two 4bl carbs) that has no street manners at all. It is almost impossible to drive on the street normally unless your foot is planted on the floor. I'm sure the small blocks would be equally tough with dual carbs on the street. But.....Just that one time at WOT and going through the gears would probably be worth the ticket.

@Vinnie, The expression David used, "Can't Fall Out of a Tree" is something  I have heard plus a few others that can't be repeated here. Normally used after someone has spent huge sums of money on an engine build that sounds like an all-out racecar but doesn't have the power to get out of the way of Mom's station wagon. Or a Euro S**T Box, an expression I learned from Fabrice! So the expression "Couldn't fall out of a tree or couldn't fall off A Cliff" is just a weak running car considering the money that was spent on the engine!   :)

@Vinnie, The expression David used, "Can't Fall Out of a Tree" is something  I have heard plus a few others that can't be repeated here. Normally used after someone has spent huge sums of money on an engine build that sounds like an all-out racecar but doesn't have the power to get out of the way of Mom's station wagon. Or a Euro S**T Box, an expression I learned from Fabrice! So the expression "Couldn't fall out of a tree or couldn't fall off A Cliff" is just a weak running car considering the money that was spent on the engine!   :)
You shouldn't believe everything @Fabrice says ;-)

@Vinnie, @secluff is a smart man, he knows a European guy owning exclusively US Ford V8 powered cars for more than 3 decades can be trusted for his true and pure opinion regarding the S**T boxes we have around here!

You my friend, as an Opel owner, you have lost that ability! 
lollerz.gif

@Vinnie, @secluff is a smart man, he knows a European guy owning exclusively US Ford V8 powered cars for more than 3 decades can be trusted for his true and pure opinion regarding the S**T boxes we have around here!

You my friend, as an Opel owner, you have lost that ability! 
lollerz.gif
You call it "ability", I'd call it "tunnel vision" ;-)

I was at Clay's shop today. When I came in he had just finished changing jets and had done some changes to the 2- 4 setup. I helped him put back on and had one heck of a time getting fuel lines not to leak. There was like a washer in one of the connections that neither of had ever seen. It would not seal without it. Crimps looked good and seats but would not seal. 

After we got sealed and cranked I did not think the engine sounded that mean with chambered exhaust with no mufflers. 

He went and got the 105 octane leaded gas and got in the car. I will at least pull into the garage without killing. Has to have lots of rpm to not die. I will try to post a video of the car running then I will delete the post. Not impressed by the Z-28 at all. BTW the 105 octane leaded fuel is $9.39 a gallon.

Back