'73 rectangle headlight mod?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeet76

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Fastback, a mix modeled after the original Black Pursuit Special, and Yellow Interceptor from Mad Max (1979)

Purists, you may want to just scroll past this one  :D

I've been curious if anyone has thought of or actually converted their round headlights to rectangle head lights?

Is it possible? What would it take? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Sure, it's possible. You would have to find some rectangular headlight buckets and make custom brackets to fit them into your existing headlight bucket housing. Then you will have to make custom headlight doors to fill in the space around them. I believe you'll need to get 6"x7" so that you'll have high and low beams. You'll need to make sure you retain the adjustability and that it will adjust in the right direction.

I would recommend that you get a rectangular headlight and do some test fitting before you start, tape it in place, make sure you like it before you start. I don't think I would like it, but who knows, until you see it.

My 72 around 1984.

z5aU4JJxhz-1OgzdsvfYeeKS97LBEi4DE6SgWuBOjyQ=w344-h223-p-no

Sure, it's possible. You would have to find some rectangular headlight buckets and make custom brackets to fit them into your existing headlight bucket housing. Then you will have to make custom headlight doors to fill in the space around them. I believe you'll need to get 6"x7" so that you'll have high and low beams. You'll need to make sure you retain the adjustability and that it will adjust in the right direction.

I would recommend that you get a rectangular headlight and do some test fitting before you start, tape it in place, make sure you like it before you start. I don't think I would like it, but who knows, until you see it.
Thanks for the suggestions Don! I think I have a headlight from my old '79 F250 that I can use for the test fit. Great Idea!

Quick edit for reference

Thanks for doing that Horsin'! I'm actually digging it with the square lights!

Last edited by a moderator:
My 72 around 1984.

I actually don't hate this.  ::thumb::

I've tossed around the idea of replacing the sport lamps with some driving lights, but that's one of those "down the road" kind of things.  Probably get a set of each to experiment with... I still want it to look basically stock without being amber and actually work (throw some good light).

My 72 around 1984.

I actually don't hate this.  ::thumb::

I've tossed around the idea of replacing the sport lamps with some driving lights, but that's one of those "down the road" kind of things.  Probably get a set of each to experiment with... I still want it to look basically stock without being amber and actually work (throw some good light).
I was 16 and pulled the car from a salvage yard. Right rear spring broke behind the front eye and sent the guy for a ride. I think I had to replace a fender, door and windshield plus the leaf spring. The headlights and buckets were gone plus the grill was broken at both ends. If I recall, an F-150 donated its buckets and headlights with a little fiberglass to finish out the grill. A set of cheapo driving lights from Big N or Ames or whatever the store was at the time. Check out the homemade fiberglass scoop. My Mom did not appreciate that as I built it in an empty room upstairs in the house during the winter. Sold it when I got married. 

:(

But years later I built the 72 I have now.

:)

Back