Dog dish caps

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
I'd like to get some opinions  on how the caps were offered originally.  Did they always come with trim rings? 

If no, what identified whether they did or not?  Maybe build sheet notation or?  

And when (if ever) did the wheels get painted body color?

Please keep this discussion to our 71-3 Mustangs.

Thanks!

Ray

First, you need to make a distinction between "hub caps" and "wheel covers", which people tend to use interchangeably, but are not when you're talking Ford terminology.

Hub caps only covered the center of the wheel, wheel covers covered the entire wheel. Grande' and Mach 1 cannot be part of this discussion as they came stock with their own unique wheel treatment.

The 71 facts book shows "bright stainless steel hub caps" as standard for coupe, sportsroof and convertible. In '72, it shows "bright chrome plated wheel covers" for those three body styles. However, in '73, the listing reverts to the '71 style of "bright stainless steel hub caps".

I've owned two 71-73s that had just the hub caps. a bright red 71 coupe and a baby blue '73 convertible. Both only had the hub caps, both had body color painted wheels and none showed any scarring from the installation or removal of the trim rings.

My Mach 1 had all it's original 14X7 wheels except for the spare. The paint codes were correct and they were painted black for use with the trim ring and hubcap combo.

I believe that all the cars that came with the "dog dish"  center caps came with the beauty rings too.

Mine came with the 14 inch wheels, center "dog dish" caps, and trim rings.  I believe that was the standard for the Mach 1 Package.

kcmash

Hello Ray,

Another area where there is plenty of confusion and misunderstanding to go around. Like Hemikiller stated, you have to understand Ford "Speak" or terminology to understand the different covers used. Wheel cover was what Ford considered the full cover that covered the entire wheel and was retained by serrated teeth against the wheel behind the outer flange. Hub caps were used on base/entry-level, fleet, police, and taxi cars and cover the center of the wheel and the lug nuts. They were retained by snapping over dimpled or raised areas on the center part of the wheel. When Ford introduced the new Styled Steel wheel on the 65 Mustang there was another new cover to deal with, the "Center Cap". These caps were ornamental and much like the Magnum caps we are familiar with had fingers that snapped into a hole in the center of the wheel. The covers used on the 73 aluminum wheel were considered center caps and were retained by screws. The problem with this set up was cross-threaded or stripped out holes in the rim from over-tightening and the angry customers when pricing replacement wheels when they were beyond repair. In 1976 Ford starting using plastic inserts on steel and aluminum wheels that had center caps retained by screws.

The base entry-level Mustang used a shiny or chrome finish hub cap. What Ford called the finish on these caps varied from year to year and depending on what publication you were using. As Hemi killer also stated these vehicles normally had painted wheels that matched the body-color. With the exception of special-edition cars such as the 71 Spring special and 72 Sprint Mustangs, the hub cap/ trim ring version was standard only on the 71 Boss and 71-73 Mach 1's. These cars used a hub cap with a brushed finish that matched the finish on the trim rings. The brushed finish hub cap/ trim ring was available as a stand-alone option and was included in the various Decor group options offered from 71-73. All had a single circular black stripe and "Ford Motor Company" lettering. The exception for the Mustang is the 72 Sprint edition which had a 3F Grabber blue stripe and lettering. The only other color variation was on the 71 Torino Spring Special edition which had a red, lime green or yellow color depending on body-color.

The 71 Grande had a Standard full wheel cover that was available as an option on all other models except the Boss and Mach 1. The 72 and 73 Grande had a new full Deluxe wheel cover that was sourced from the Gran Torino and was not available on other models. There were some body-colored versions of this cover used on the Luxury/Brougham version of the Torino but were not used for the Grande.

Ray, I know this had gone a little past your original dog dish subject, but there was ALOT of different style covers and colors used on different models that sometimes have appeared on Mustangs with the owner claiming that they were OE!     :)

I'd like to get some opinions  on how the caps were offered originally.  Did they always come with trim rings? 

If no, what identified whether they did or not?  Maybe build sheet notation or?  

And when (if ever) did the wheels get painted body color?

Please keep this discussion to our 71-3 Mustangs.

Thanks!

Ray
Hi Ray

my two cents... I’m using the “dog dish” caps and am looking for the brushed trim rings for my 15” rims. I know I won’t find OEMs so I’m going to leave the “poverty caps” probably as-is. I like the looks of them even though my Mach 1 had the std 14” w/ caps and rings.

hope it helps

My '71 J code originally came with 15" Magnums and still has them, with the frosted center rather than polished. I have to say though, Ford probably had the best looking center cap and trim ring combination out of all the auto makers back then. To make a regular steel wheel look that cool is awesome. Sometimes I think it would be neat to run that setup on my car, with stock-sized Firestone Wide Ovals. It would be the reverse of many people who go from steel wheels to Magnums. But since that center cap and trim ring combo is very expensive I think I'll throw that money at something else.

This post got me thinking about my car.  As secluff noted, there was a stand alone option for the hub cap/ trim rings - my ‘bare bones’ 71 convertible had them according to my Marti report.  So I guess somewhere along the line someone replaced them with the optional full wheel covers. 

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:

-

White Power Top w/Glass Backlite

E70X14 Belted White Sidewall Tires

AM Radio

Trim Rings/Hub Caps

Last edited by a moderator:
My recent acquisition came with the base ‘73 wheel option. My understanding is that any form of a “wheel cover” was an upgrade. Otherwise, you received the center hub cap and steel painted wheel’s. As I just purchased the car in the late Fall 2019, I have not had the opportunity to really look it over before I put it away for the winter. My Marti (I don’t put 100% faith in these, does not show a wheel upgrade. More trustworthy to me is the Factory Invoice and likewise, no wheel upgrade shown). I intend to look for the build sheet when the weather gets better to better confirm what left the factory. As far as I can tell, this interior has never been touched, so I expect to locate it.

My recent acquisition came with the base ‘73 wheel option. My understanding is that any form of a “wheel cover” was an upgrade. Otherwise, you received the center hub cap and steel painted wheel’s. As I just purchased the car in the late Fall 2019, I have not had the opportunity to really look it over before I put it away for the winter. My Marti (I don’t put 100% faith in these, does not show a wheel upgrade. More trustworthy to me is the Factory Invoice and likewise, no wheel upgrade shown). I intend to look for the build sheet when the weather gets better to better confirm what left the factory. As far as I can tell, this interior has never been touched, so I expect to locate it.

That is a nice looking car! I love the basic look of color-keyed wheels and just caps.   Does it have a Ram Air hood?  Not sure if that is correct but your invoice, Marti and build sheet could help substantiate what is correct or not.  

Ray

I do know that the hub caps had two different depths, one for cars and another for the van.

Since i went with the wider rim I chose the ones for the van.

Bru

I do know that the hub caps had two different depths, one for cars and another for the van.

Since i went with the wider rim I chose the ones for the van.

Bru

That’s a nice look too! Yes the OEM car hub caps were brushed center and polished rim. I have an original set for mine. I’m tempted to use the trim rings as mine would have had from the factory in 14” but I’m on 15” wheel vintiques painted and can’t seem to find a close enough match. Nice looking car though! Both the butterscotch and your blue model!!

Im digging the painted wheels and dog dish hub caps. I have a set up in the rafters, maybe i should give them a try. Anyone know where we can buy 15" steel wheels that the original dog dish will fit on??

Im digging the painted wheels and dog dish hub caps.  I have a set up in the rafters, maybe i should give them a try.  Anyone know where we can buy 15" steel wheels that the original dog dish will fit on??
Here ya go

summit racing has them

https://static.summitracing.com/email/transactional/images/spacer.gif[/img]

WVI-62-5712044

Wheel, Ford/Chevy O.E. Style, Steel, Primered, 15 in. x 7 in., 5 x 4.50 in. Bolt Circle, 4.25 in. Backspace, Each

(Mfr. #: 
62-5712044

Ready to Ship

Ground

$90.99

$363.96

Im digging the painted wheels and dog dish hub caps.  I have a set up in the rafters, maybe i should give them a try.  Anyone know where we can buy 15" steel wheels that the original dog dish will fit on??
Here ya go

summit racing has them

WVI-62-5712044

Wheel, Ford/Chevy O.E. Style, Steel, Primered, 15 in. x 7 in., 5 x 4.50 in. Bolt Circle, 4.25 in. Backspace, Each

(Mfr. #: 
62-5712044

Ready to Ship

Ground

$90.99

$363.96

That's what's on mine, but I went for the 15X8. 

That is a nice looking car! I love the basic look of color-keyed wheels and just caps.   Does it have a Ram Air hood?  Not sure if that is correct but your invoice, Marti and build sheet could help substantiate what is correct or not.  

Ray
Yes, came with the NASA hood... The Marti won’t show the inclusion of this hood at the time of purchase. Similar to the 302 Mach 1( no charge upgrade) it may have been ordered. The Factory Invoice doesn’t confirm either, but it has a bunch of extra #’s and letter’s written on it that were done at the factory. I would have to try and get these deciphered... I’m guessing that it was ordered at the time of purchase from the factory. But, I don’t have paperwork to confirm (ie. sales agreement or Bill of Sale). The only hope is the build sheet which I will look for when the weather clear’s up in April...

Remembering back as I was ordering my 72 mach the salesman saying I still had my choice of which hood. Well no kid going to go for the flat one. Today it would be rare order, maybe a one of one and worth more, but I still don't want the flat one.

I'm so very "blah" on the dog dish hubcaps & rings.  These cars deserve more style than a set of generic 'van hubcaps.'  My Marti didn't specify anything with regards to wheels, so I'm pretty sure mine came with dog dishes, but since the rule of thumb being 'hubcaps as standard unless otherwise indicated,' I choose to believe that mine came with a set of sport caps, rather than the dog dishes.

Doesn't really matter though, since they're probably never going back on it, anyway.   :cool: :whistling:

I'm so very "blah" on the dog dish hubcaps & rings.  These cars deserve more style than a set of generic 'van hubcaps.'  My Marti didn't specify anything with regards to wheels, so I'm pretty sure mine came with dog dishes, but since the rule of thumb being 'hubcaps as standard unless otherwise indicated,' I choose to believe that mine came with a set of sport caps, rather than the dog dishes.

Doesn't really matter though, since they're probably never going back on it, anyway.   :cool: :whistling:
These car’s deserve what each owner wishes to put on it for wheel’s. Not sure why you are choosing to slam the factory look for some car’s but, carry on...

These car’s deserve what each owner wishes to put on it for wheel’s. Not sure why you are choosing to slam the factory look for some car’s but, carry on...
Really?!  Wow.

I'm not 'slamming' anything any more than anybody else has already said in this thread (one guy called them 'poverty caps,' for instance) - all I said was essentially that they're not my favorite and that I think the cars deserve better than 'generic' wheel covers.  The comparison to van wheels came from Bru, the last post on the first page, BTW.

We all get back what we make of things, I suppose.

Back