Window trim and roof rail material

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B229218

Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1 521 c.j.

Year ago, all my trim was cloudy and faded. A shop stripped the clear coat off and re-polished. My question is, What material was our window and roof rail moldings  made of, stainless or aluminum? :huh:

All of the trim on coupe, grande, sportsroof, Mach 1 is aluminum that was anodized. Roof rail, windshield, rear window, tail lights, trim around the black out on rear, any vinyl roof trim and rocker and wheel house trim is aluminum. You have to strip the anodize and polish and either have anodize again or clear coat. 

The windshield trim on convertibles is stainless. 

The trim around grill is stainless but the headlight doors on 73 are aluminum.

Any of the stainless on cars is magnetic stainless so you can check with magnet. 

If you get the trim professionally polished and anodized I think it is $37.00 a foot regardless of size.

If you take windshield and rear window trim off it should go right back on with finger pressure. NEVER use a soft hammer something is wrong if it does not just push back on. I see it mutilated all the time. I took mine off polished last year and just pushed back on with finger pressure.

All of the trim on coupe, Grandé, sportsroof, Mach 1 is aluminum that was anodized. Roof rail, windshield, rear window, tail lights, trim around the black out on rear, any vinyl roof trim and rocker and wheel house trim is aluminum. You have to strip the anodize and polish and either have anodize again or clear coat. 

The windshield trim on convertibles is stainless. 

The trim around grill is stainless but the headlight doors on 73 are aluminum.

Any of the stainless on cars is magnetic stainless so you can check with magnet. 

If you get the trim professionally polished and anodized I think it is $37.00 a foot regardless of size.

If you take windshield and rear window trim off it should go right back on with finger pressure. NEVER use a soft hammer something is wrong if it does not just push back on. I see it mutilated all the time. I took mine off polished last year and just pushed back on with finger pressure.
That`s the problem with aftermarket chinese re-pop window trim crap-material IS thinner, bends way too easy, combined with re-pop rear gaskets that are thicker, I could not engage clips, although west coast cougar sells adjustable rear clips,among others.

Last edited by a moderator:
The gasket should be no where near the trim. When people fill up the channel with sealer there is no room. The windshield has no gasket at all. 

I had NOS Ford windshield trim for my Econoline van and it would not install. Not just repo. Was not held by clips was inside the rubber.

I can get the name of supplier that reworks the trim is wanted. Like I stated I think $37.00 a foot.

The gasket should be no where near the trim. When people fill up the channel with sealer there is no room. The windshield has no gasket at all. 

I had NOS Ford windshield trim for my Econoline van and it would not install. Not just repo. Was not held by clips was inside the rubber.

I can get the name of supplier that reworks the trim is wanted. Like I stated I think $37.00 a foot.
Oh, boy, installing rear window on older cars, WHAT fun, eh? :p

Back