Ford Racing 460 Boss small block.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Alpine white 1971 mach1 Mustang Sportsroof, 351-C, C-6, 9"
Hi.

Still getting a little work done on the suspension, but next in line is a radiator to differential powertrain update.

I'm wearing my asbestos underwear because I'm considering swapping the very tired Cleveland for one of these:

https://www.fordracingparts.com/part/M-6007-Z460FFT

I like Clevelands, don't get me wrong, but the Ford Racing long block offers a lot of bang for the buck.

The old video that Ford released when the engine was made available has disappeared.

I found one video of a few guys putting one in to an older Mustang but it had just been put in, wasn't tuned and was idling so fast that you couldn't really hear if the cam had anything in the way of overlap.

Anyone here have one or know of a video so I can get an idea of what the idle quality is like once the engine is tuned?

With 242 & 248 degree duration @ 0.050 it will have a rough idle, power range 3,000 RPM+, will need 3,000 to 3,500 RPM torque converter, rear end ratio in the 3.9 - 4.1 to 1 range. It will probably want a 1,200 +/- RPM idle speed.

With 242 & 248 degree duration @ 0.050 it will have a rough idle, power range 3,000 RPM+, will need 3,000 to 3,500 RPM torque converter, rear end ratio in the 3.9 - 4.1 to 1 range. It will probably want a 1,200 +/- RPM idle speed.
Thank you!

I will add a vacuum pump to the list if I go this direction.

Given the 460 CID and the Z Ford heads it may pull more vacuum and idle better than expected. It is a torque targeted 5500 RPM build that should be a lot of fun in a street engine. It looks like they used a Super Victor single plane intake to make the HP number they wanted on the dyno. I may be wrong about that but I can't think of another reason to use a Super Victor on a 5500 RPM engine. Chuck

I am wondering, too, about the 5,600 RPM limit, the Super Victor intake, and the aggressive camshaft. They don't seem to fit together. I can understand why the power starts dropping off at 5,500, given the relatively small valve size and the lift. It does have a flat torque curve, with close to 550 lb-ft at 3,500 RPM.

It would be interesting to see the valve timing specs for the camshaft are.

Thank you!

Consider my custom setup which included a vacuum pump, a vacuum reservoir and a pressure switch. This will reduce the amount of time the pump is on.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-muscletang-mod-project-thread-1971-m-mach-1?pid=340221#pid340221

I am wondering, too, about the 5,600 RPM limit, the Super Victor intake, and the aggressive camshaft. They don't seem to fit together.  I can understand why the power starts dropping off at 5,500, given the relatively small valve size and the lift. It does have a flat torque curve, with close to 550 lb-ft at 3,500 RPM.

It would be interesting to see the valve timing specs for the camshaft are.
They offer some tech specs in their PDF file for the long block:

https://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-6007-Z460FFT-FRT_18.PDF

Given the 460 CID and the Z Ford heads it may pull more vacuum and idle better than expected. It is a torque targeted 5500 RPM build that should be a lot of fun in a street engine. It looks like they used a Super Victor single plane intake to make the HP number they wanted on the dyno. I may be wrong about that but I can't think of another reason to use a Super Victor on a 5500 RPM engine. Chuck
I am hoping that it will be a lot of fun. There are a lot of old country roads here that don't have enough rubber on them. ;)

Thank you!

Consider my custom setup which included a vacuum pump, a vacuum reservoir and a pressure switch. This will reduce the amount of time the pump is on.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-muscletang-mod-project-thread-1971-m-mach-1?pid=340221#pid340221
That's a nice setup.

I've been looking at OEM style vacuum pumps, if you bush the mounting hardware you barely know they're there.

Back