Guess the part (hint: I think it's to do with the Ammeter)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
There's a little "what's-it?" mounted next to the voltage regulator/starter relay.  I can trace the wires from it, but I don't really know what "it" is.  I pulled it because I couldn't get the bolt tightened for the wire leading to under the dash (and I suspect its for the ammeter; yes, I have the gauge package) and when I did, I see it's buggered up and bent.  No wonder.  It appears some PO forced a too small nut, bending the post in the process.

It is located on the inner dash fender, near the voltage regulator, just beneath the starter relay (see photo) and is the smaller nut & wire on the right of the junction. That wire leads directly to a cluster of wires passing through a grommet on the firewall. On the left of the junction (the bigger nut) one of those two larger wires comes directly from the alternator (the other disappears into the wiring harness).  

This what's-it? in the lower right shot of the photo is labelled on the left half "Fasco" in the 12:00 position, "BAT" in the 9:00 position and "12--V" in the 6:00 position.  On the right half at 12:00 "Type 1110", "AUX" in 3:00 position and "A.--20" in the 6:00 position.

I need to know what to call it (a part number would be even better!) so that I can order a replacement... if such a thing exists.

My guess would be it's ammeter related and so if it's temporarily omitted won't affect anything but the gauge.

That looks like a circuit breaker BUT it does not look like a factory one

There would be one for cars with convertibles and / or convenience group options

It just doesn't look right if I remember correctly

I'll go look at a couple of cars or harnesses tomorrow

The FASCO is the brand name

bat is power in,

aux is power out

20 is the 20 amp rating

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a circuit breaker BUT it does not look like a factory one

There would be one for cars with convertibles and / or convenience group options

It just doesn't look right if I remember correctly

I'll go look at a couple of cars or harnesses tomorrow

The FASCO is the brand name

bat is power in,

aux is power out

20 is the 20 amp rating
Thx - web searches for that brand & part number showed its a circuit breaker, and the labeling I sorta figured. I hope you find a better version.

Yes, is a convertible with the convenience group options.

I found one close looking to yours on a 73 harness  car had tach dash , rear window defrost

It feeds the auxiliary power wire, on the harness I have.

Also marked Fasco type 110   one post is taller than the other

Looks to be original.

My '71 Mach 1 has that little breaker. According to Midlife Harness it is for accessories like the convertible top and defrosters. My car has none of that so I deleted it.

RC92234,

There were several different circuit breakers Ford used on the many different car and truck models they produced. Sometimes if the factory marking is gone or is an aftermarket replacement, identifying them can be a PIA if you don't have a shop manual or electrical schematics.

The one you need was used on a lot of 71/Full-size Ford, Torino and Mustang (and sister Mercury) vehicles and is located at the starter relay. Typical use was for heated backlight, power top, windows, and automatic seat back release solenoids.  The Ford part# is D1AZ-14526-A (ID# D1AB-14A065-AA). It is discontinued from Ford and very few dealers would still have any stock. If looking for an OE type circuit breaker, the best results would be to try online such as E-Bay by part number. They would probably cost a little more than one from a dealer but would be easier to find. Hard to tell in the picture but the post on the left with the buss bar is slightly shorter  :)

RC92234,

There were several different circuit breakers Ford used on the many different car and truck models they produced. Sometimes if the factory marking is gone or is an aftermarket replacement, identifying them can be a PIA if you don't have a shop manual or electrical schematics.

The one you need was used on a lot of 71/Full-size Ford, Torino and Mustang (and sister Mercury) vehicles and is located at the starter relay. Typical use was for heated backlight, power top, windows, and automatic seat back release solenoids.  The Ford part# is D1AZ-14526-A (ID# D1AB-14A065-AA). It is discontinued from Ford and very few dealers would still have any stock. If looking for an OE type circuit breaker, the best results would be to try online such as E-Bay by part number. They would probably cost a little more than one from a dealer but would be easier to find. Hard to tell in the picture but the post on the left with the buss bar is slightly shorter  :)

Excellent info - thanks.  I don't know if I need a replacement; I was just trying to identify the function.  But I might -- haven't gotten that far yet.

Sorry to resurrect an old post but, I never understood mine because the 2 wires are just connected. I'm thinking it's a way to make a place to install the breaker but mine didn't get one. Car was for Canada and has rear defroster. It only keeps the wires away from ground. Took this picture with the battery out. 

20200624_100759.jpg

The schematic shows both an option (dotted line) for terminal block or circuit breaker.  I have vert so I have a 20A circuit breaker that's mounted to starter relay.  It also shows it connected to rear heater relay circuit. via circuit 175A  and BK10

Back