I think the issue is with the server (not a computer guy either, so I could be wrong). I had problems some time ago and found out that most, if not all my pictures, were way oversized for the system to upload. Thinking I could just delete MY pictures to make more room in my allotted attachment usage , I deleted nearly all that I had posted only to find they were deleted from the entire site. 

After some time and help from Rocketfoot and to increase my allotted attachment allowance, I upgrade my status to Site Supporter. While this helped, the attachment file size can still be an issue when uploading pictures. If you can resize pictures or set your camera (or phone) to minimal, then your pictures should upload. Having said that, I usually just use the "Add Image To Post" button at the bottom of the page. 

Hope that helps. I use Windows Edge for this Forum.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I'm sure Barry is looking into the posting issues, which are most likely a by-product of a recent server-side update to the bulletin board software.

Regarding the pic sizes - that's a product of ever-changing and improving technology.  The picture size limits are defined to help manage the space taken up on the server.  Today's phones are coming with 20+ mega-pixel cameras built-in, and those technologies are constantly improving.  As with anything new in IT and constantly improving, it requires server-side software updates and occasional tweaks in order to keep up.

I usually resize my pics to 1024x768 (180 dpi), which has them in the 280Kb size range.  Most of the pics start out at 4096x1536, or even bigger at 8192x3072 (300 dpi) and greater, depending on which camera I use to take them - and I know my stuff is not even close to the professional-grade equipment that so many people have these days.  Most of the higher-end cameras with their resolutions cranked up are producing 10Mb sized picture files (and bigger!).  Some of those supersized pics don't even look good when printed because the printers can't print dots that small.  Mad, vicious cycle.

I'm not entirely sure what the size & resolution thresholds for pictures are, and I know how much as we love big, detailed pictures, but how big do they really need to be when a lot, if not most, people are looking at them on their phones?   :whistling:

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I'm sure Barry is looking into the posting issues, which are most likely a by-product of a recent server-side update to the bulletin board software.

Regarding the pic sizes - that's a product of ever-changing and improving technology.  The picture size limits are defined to help manage the space taken up on the server.  Today's phones are coming with 20+ mega-pixel cameras built-in, and those technologies are constantly improving.  As with anything new in IT and constantly improving, it requires server-side software updates and occasional tweaks in order to keep up.

I usually resize my pics to 1024x768 (180 dpi), which has them in the 280Kb size range.  Most of the pics start out at 4096x1536, or even bigger at 8192x3072 (300 dpi) and greater, depending on which camera I use to take them - and I know my stuff is not even close to the professional-grade equipment that so many people have these days.  Most of the higher-end cameras with their resolutions cranked up are producing 10Mb sized picture files (and bigger!).  Some of those supersized pics don't even look good when printed because the printers can't print dots that small.  Mad, vicious cycle.

I'm not entirely sure what the size & resolution thresholds for pictures are, and I know how much as we love big, detailed pictures, but how big do they really need to be when a lot, if not most, people are looking at them on their phones?   :whistling:

Well described Eric. :goodpost:

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Its just not posting my pics, its viewing pics that anyone posts. I can't view any now. Logged in or not.

Its just not posting my pics, its viewing pics that anyone posts. I can't view any now. Logged in or not.

Are you at work?  If so, chances are whatever enterprise network you might be using could possible have blocked out images from select sources.  I know the Air Force enterprise (NIPRNet) system I'm on here at work (since I can't bring my phone into the office) blocks most image host providers - I rarely get to see any pictures from the site until I return home at night, unless they've actually been uploaded as attachments to the 7173 site, or are linked to non-blocked providers.  I know Photobucket, Imgur, Flickr, and others are 'no bueno' for me while at work, but I can see other stuff (like the links from Tapatalk, my own web page, etc.).

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I have reverted the forum image attachment system back to default just to rule out any issues cause by a 3rd party ap.  I can't replicate any issues on my side in Firefox, Chrome or IE as far as posting or viewing images.

12249629-10153772103833754-6246806199030142176-n.jpg

619640-1000-0@2x.jpg

spacer.png