After 41 year’s in the cold...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop
This will be my last winter working in a cold garage... As I get older, the ability to work on these car’s moving forward must ensure your health stay’s good also. Otherwise... This is going in my new house which we took possession of in November, 2019 but, we are not moving into until April this year. This has allowed me to completely outfit my garage, with the addition of heat being the last install. Looking forward to next winter, no, OK I’m not; but I will be ready for it.

I know what you mean and I envy you. Sitting in the house right now whishing I could work on the car but the weather is to cold. I put a 30,000 btu wall mounted gas heater in last year but I have to be careful of condensation. I purchased a dehumidifier but need the temps to be around mid 40's and fairly dry out to control the humidity. Can't wait for the warm weather to get here.

I know what you mean and I envy you.  Sitting in the house right now whishing I could work on the car but the weather is to cold.  I put a 30,000 btu wall mounted gas heater in last year but I have to be careful of condensation.  I purchased a dehumidifier but need the temps to be around mid 40's and fairly dry out to control the humidity. Can't wait for the warm weather to get here.
Yes humidity can be an issue if you let the temps fluctuate, IE only run the heat when you are in there working, then shut off and let it get cold. I keep my stat set at 50 so I don't have the issue, actually have the opposite as it is very dry in the shop. I also do not pull any vehicles in with snow, ice, salt etc on them into the shop prior to being cleaned off and relatively dry.

I am in the mountains of NC but has warmed up some for sure. I put in 6" of insulation all around and 12" in some areas. Foam filled entry and roll up doors and insulated frame and glass windows. I have one 1800 watt electric heater and never seen it in the 30's in there. That is 4,000 sq. ft. and has been single digit outside. I bought a propane heater and never put it in. 

I have raw steel sitting around and never any rust issues. One car has sat there 3 years with bare metal and no rust. I was going to put in outside wood furnace but I see no need. If working in the 40's feels great to me.

I am in the mountains of NC but has warmed up some for sure. I put in 6" of insulation all around and 12" in some areas. Foam filled entry and roll up doors and insulated frame and glass windows. I have one 1800 watt electric heater and never seen it in the 30's in there. That is 4,000 sq. ft. and has been single digit outside. I bought a propane heater and never put it in. 

I have raw steel sitting around and never any rust issues. One car has sat there 3 years with bare metal and no rust. I was going to put in outside wood furnace but I see no need. If working in the 40's feels great to me.
40's? I wish... Summer time.

I know what you mean and I envy you.  Sitting in the house right now whishing I could work on the car but the weather is to cold.  I put a 30,000 btu wall mounted gas heater in last year but I have to be careful of condensation.  I purchased a dehumidifier but need the temps to be around mid 40's and fairly dry out to control the humidity. Can't wait for the warm weather to get here.
Yes humidity can be an issue if you let the temps fluctuate, IE only run the heat when you are in there working, then shut off and let it get cold. I keep my stat set at 50 so I don't have the issue, actually have the opposite as it is very dry in the shop. I also do not pull any vehicles in with snow, ice, salt etc on them into the shop prior to being cleaned off and relatively dry.
Unfortunately I have an attach 2 car garage and have to contend with my wife pulling her car in and out.    Do try to keep it dry inside as much as I can.  If I had a separate garage for the car I would definitely have it insulated and heated.  Maybe in my next life!   :angel:

My garage is only ever used for my classic Mustang's. I rarely if ever open the garage door during the winter and there is never daily driver's brought in, again during the winter. We park outside, even in the winter. She is a good woman...

Back