Road Trips - Hotel Parking lots. Do you feel your car is safe?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
Have the big road trip next weekend to bring the car home. Tennessee to Arizona. I'm going to try to make OKC night 1 and Albuquerque night 2. 

I typically say in nicer hotels. Hyatt Place, Farifield by Mariott, etc. Not the Motel 6 or Super 8. But I do worry about waking up one morning and the car not being there. 

How comfortable are you guys on road trips with leaving the car in a hotel parking lot overnight? Do you disable the car in any way? Back it in, instead of pulling it in so it's not as easy to scoop? 

I was thinking about staying at some of the brands flagship properties that have Valet, assuming that might be a bit more secure. But then I'm at risk of the valet joyriding it. 

Thoughts?

Never

As much as I try park where no one else would, there's always

well lets just drop it there.

I hear you. I'm actually looking into airbnb's with garage options. There aren't many along my route, but there are some.

Gosh........We love'em like kids dont we? Mine has the engine out on the side of my home, behind a fully fenced yard, in a good neighbor hood. My bedroom window is right beside her.

********AND I STILL WORRY  :chin: **************

My friend’s car was stolen but he had left an iPhone in the trunk. The car was located within minutes. Might provide some piece of mind.

Aaron

I guess I would pull the coil wire off at the least. But if someone has a flatbed, not much you can do. Car can be gone in a couple short minutes. To help prevent it this you would have to chain the wheels to the car or something along those lines.

I think if you stay at a nicer place with a secure parking lot you will be fine.

Hope you have no problems along the way and good luck with getting home.

I not only worry about the car but the tires and wheels. My 73 vert has new tires and a set of factory forged aluminum wheels with NOS center caps. My next show in in Sevierville, TN. in March. 

This is how I have prepared to protect the car and wheels. I went to Lowe's and they sell plastic coated chain that is about 1/4" thick links. I think I got them to cut to 41" in length. I feed the chain through one of the slots in each wheel and take the chain around the suspension and put a pad lock under the car. I bought a pack of 4 keyed the same pad locks. 

I do remove the coil wire and I also have a quick disconnect on the battery. To keep them out from under the hood. I take a bicycle lock chain that has a plastic sleeve on it and to over the hood latch rod in the hood and wrap around the center grill support and put pad lock on there also. 

I also have one of the locks that goes to the brake pedal and steering wheel and also a steering wheel lock.

Any of these can be defeated with a bolt cutter but the idea is to get them to look for an easier target than your car is. 

At the hot rod tour in Charlotte last year 4 or 5 nice vehicles got stolen and none were ever found. One guy had even taken his steering wheel off. 

With the fancy toe vehicles they can just scoop a car up and go in seconds today. 

The cell phone suppliers have trackers you can get to go on your car. What I saw were made to plug into your computer read port but I would expect that they have for older cars also. 

If you trailer the car you can put a chain through the trailer wheels and lock it up also. Put lock on tow safety chain also and when you park find a blind corner and back in at angle so they cannot get car off the trailer without moving the whole rig. 

The phone in the car also sounds like a great idea.

The Airbnb sounds like the best option for the time being. No one way to make sure it doesn't get stolen but there are several things you can do to discourage someone. You can get a wheel boot or tire clamp. These are fairly easy to put on and cost anywhere from about $30 to $60. I know it sounds like overkill but you put one on the front and one on the rear and it would force them to drag it or to get it on dollies. I doubt that anyone would go to that much trouble unless it is in a unobserved place where no one could see them.

Once you get the car you can add a hood lock along with a hidden kill switch under the dash. Both quit easy to do and will give you a little peace of mine that you car will still be there when you go out somewhere.

Good luck on your road trip and I hope all goes well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the wife to do the "night shift" security duties!!

Leaving my car in an unprotected parking lot is NOT something I'd do. How about renting a truck and trailer, taking a couple of trustworthy buddies and driving straight through. Even with stops, there can always be someone with the car.

Just a thought.

I’ve never had an issue. Always park in well lit area. I try to park near my hotel room window. For piece of mind I do pull the power wire off my distributor (hei style) and disconnect the battery in the trunk and the obvious locking of doors.

Hidden trackers are less than a hundred dollars. Later on hydraulic locks can be installed.

I have a buddy that has a '64 Vett, he jacks up the rear end and takes both tires into the hotel room with him just to

make it harder to nick.

A car cover helps keep it 'out of sight / out of mind'

Bottom line, if they want your car bad enough it will be gone in the morn.

Bru

Well, there is always the risk of waking up the next morning and finding you car gone. Sorry to say.

One thing to consider, is contacting your insurance company before your trip to find out "what if" happens. How good is your coverage? Have you had a professional appraisal to confirm what your car is actually worth? Does your insurance company accept this value? Will you get stated value, some book value or what ever? Is your coverage enough to replace your car?

Never had any of my vehicles stolen, but I did have my every day car totalled years ago. That was an experience, their book value and mine were miles apart. Also found out that I could not sue my insurance company as there is a clause built in were I must accept an arbitators findings period.

Well, there is always the risk of waking up the next morning and finding you car gone.  Sorry to say. 

One thing to consider, is contacting your insurance company before your trip to find out "what if" happens.  How good is your coverage?  Have you had a professional appraisal to confirm what your car is actually worth?  Does your insurance company accept this value?  Will you get stated value, some book value or what ever?  Is your coverage enough to replace your car? 

Never had any of my vehicles stolen, but I did have my every day car totalled years ago.  That was an experience, their book value and mine were miles apart.  Also found out that I could not sue my insurance company as there is a clause built in were I must accept an arbitators findings period.
 Good point!

Gps is a good idea indeed. I would rather stop the theft but if thats not possible then at least recover it. Sometimes recovering it leads to a car that was Daisy duke jumped :-( 

My 71 has a locking steering wheel. Is that a add on or was it standard?

This makes it hard to steal. If you turn your steering wheel far left or right then lock. Tough to load it on a trailer when its turning. Of course a wrecker could load it easy enough. But whos going to drive a wrecker around looking for a 71-73 mustang???

The locking steering wheel is OEM, but only works if the lockout rod is connected to the transmission. Many have been left off over the years. It doesn't take much to pop the lock off, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for my two nights on this road trip I was glad to find two great Airbnb properties that offer secured garages. I'm certainly pleased with that outcome. My next move was KOA campgrounds where I could pitch a tent right next to the car, or even sleep in it if I wanted to. Fold down the back seats, put the feet in the trunk and my head behind the seats. LOL. I'm sure someone has done it.

When are you making the trip? I'm 15 miles East of Albuquerque and could possibly help at least for one night. I have the safe location but timing can be messy with my schedule. Guest house also on site.    Ed Raver

Back