For future reference, possible oil pan change info

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
I have learned through this site that our era Mustangs make oil pan replacement very difficult.

As stated in an earlier post mine is dented (don't ask), but not leaking, only unsightly.

Is it possible to replace the pan by removing the oil pump, if there's enough clearance, also is the shaft from the distributer to the pump "captive"? Will it fall out into the pan if I remove the pump?

You have to drop the oil pan down enough to be able to get to the bolts on the oil pump. The oil pump driveshaft will come out with the oil pump, as it rests in the oil pump, and the oil pump supports it. You'll need to raise the engine so you can get enough clearance to get the pan off. You can leave the oil pump in the pan.

The oil pump driveshaft will have a serrated washer on the top of it that it to prevent the driveshaft from being pulled out of the oil pump when the distributor is removed.

When you put it back together set the oil pump in the pan before you try to wiggle the pan back under the engine. If you take the distributor out it will be easier to get the oil pump driveshaft back through the distributor hole than trying to get it inserted into the distributor shaft.

It's not a technically difficult job, just not easy to do, unless you're a contortionist.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to Don's post, you'll also need to either remove the sway bar, or unbolt the frame mounts to drop it down to allow the pan to come out. Sometimes the oilpump driveshaft can be stuck in the distributor shaft with coked up oil. This is also a great time to inspect the timing chain. If you have slack, or an original with the nylon cam gear - it's time to replace it.

IMO, leave the dizzy in place, it's one less thing you need to mess with.

Don't know to what level of unsightly it is or what you may be willing to accept but I recently had a friend of mine that dented the pan on his Ram1500 while off road in it. He was able to pull the dent out by tacking a couples of 8 penny nails on it. Clamped on a pair of vice grips and pulled until it was out. Cut the nails off flush when he was done and touched up with a little paint. Can barely see where it was at. Same method as using welded studs and a dent puller. Worked great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the same boat, dented oil pan and don't ask either! I know from my own experience that removing the pan is a chore. The last time I did it was when I blew a rear main seal, now THAT'S a PITA job to do! 

I think I'll just live with it for now until I decide to pull the motor again as it dose not seem to be hitting the oil pump.

Good info to have though on the process. 

Thanks.

Back