Shipping success stories?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Q Code barn find, 72 R code project
I’ve used Uship in the past with good results.  This time, for my new to me 72 Mach 1, they were twice what I was prepared to pay.

The car is in southern Ohio area.  1400 miles one way to me.

I’ve been getting the run around for the last 2 weeks.

Any recommendations for shippers you have used with success?

I used Reliable Carriers when I shipped my car from California to Detroit. Mind you, that was 11 years ago. Cost was only $1650 for a fully enclosed transport. Great service.

When I bought a car on ebay I went to the page for the sale with shipping info. There was several listed. When I got in touch then I got bombarded with emails from multiple brokers.  When I finally picked one I paid extra to have it on the upper level to keep oil off it and if rain be up from road grime. I think it was $1,100 from Reno to western N.C.. This was 4 years ago. Do not remember the trucking line. Was an independent.

Now the bad. I arrived on the lower lever up against the cab of the truck. It was backed on and the rear bumper was against the frame of the hauler and rubbed the rubber strip and ruined it. I took pictures on the truck of it hitting. 

So the trucker comes over and says sign this and we can get it unloaded and I signed and then drove it off. After off i asked what he was going to do about the bumper and he said nothing you signed the bill saying it was fine. I could have beat his ass. So lesson learned never sign the bill until you inspect the car and make the agree to pay for any damage. I had paid with American Express and tried to get money back but could not. Could not even get refund for extra charge for being on top row. 

So the last two I have gotten I just went and got myself. One in Dearborn and one in Grand Rapids. Drove up and back from GR with no overnight. I use a dolly to keep weight down just pull the driveshaft loose from rear tape the caps on and wire it up under the car to keep the transmission fluid from running out.

No help locating a hauler but some info of what not to do.

The Uship bids were 1400-1600 for open trailer. I shipped a van to and from Florida a few years ago for 800 each way. This is a project car. Certainly doesn’t need Luxo or enclosed hauling.

My direct cost to go get it myself is probably 12-1400. I figure 220 gallons, plus at least 2 hotels. Plus time off from work.

Will see what happens this week.

Maybe a road trip early March.....

do I assume if u get bids from uship that u don't like u can cancel all of them ??? I've never dealt with them and was afraid i'd be hooked in any deal. so how does it work ???

the major thing I had yrs ago with buy'n on ebay. the seller was in bosie Idaho shipping to Delaware. I think I paid 1400 for independent driver. with talking to seller he informs me he owns eagle auto repair. so I figured he knew what he was talking about. he keep telling me the '66 Fairlane was restored. shipping took 3 months so I could not leave a feedback or i'd ripe his ass for lying. and big time lie too. see if there is someone in that area that can see the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uship is usually great, and I will go back if this deal falls through.

No commitment at all. You post what you want shipped. They bid. You accept. Once you accept a bid, you pay Uship. Then once it is delivered, you tell Uship you got it, and are happy. Then Uship releases the funds to driver.

I’ve not had any problems with Uship. I just told myself this could be done for 800-1000. But I believe now that is mistaken. Today, I wish I would have accepted a $1400 Uship bid the first day. The car would be here.

I’ve probably received 30+ phone calls, another 25 emails, 3 “no problem sir, we will get it tomorrow” contracts.

The latest bafoonery: driver who barely speaks understandable English tells me he has been dispatched. Has the wrong address, and no winch. How we doin?

Car still 1400 miles away.

The Uship bids were 1400-1600 for open trailer.  I shipped a van to and from Florida a few years ago for 800 each way.  This is a project car.  Certainly doesn’t need Luxo or enclosed hauling. 

My direct cost to go get it myself is probably 12-1400.  I figure 220 gallons, plus at least 2 hotels.  Plus time off from work.

Will see what happens this week.

Maybe a road trip early March.....
What kind of parts does the project need ... you might extend the trip to northern Ohio  :D

Only car I had shipped was a 71 Cougar XR-7 from Indiana to CT. Shipping cost was $900, but this was over ten years ago. Cannot remember the shipping company, believe I arranged it through eBay. No issues with shipping, but the car was completely misrepresented and back then, there was virtually no recourse against the seller. I made my money back, but just barely.

Update.

In the last minutes of the eleventh hour the third shipping company came through.

Limited communication with me. None with the seller at the pick up location. It’s loaded up and headed to Texas.

I tried UShip last summer, but got a better deal through Windsor Auto Transport for a Fresno (CA) to Palm Springs (CA) route. I asked for enclosed carrier with next day delivery, $795 -- but Northern CA / Southern CA is a popular route. The driver was just the best: a Mustang fan! and ended up being the only vehicle.

This year I needed a transport from San Francisco to Palm Springs and was persuaded to try UShip again and I regretted it. Earlier situation was pickup from a dealer so no problem; this was from a private owner and Monday were the only day the car could be accessed. Their quote was $695 and then plus $75 for specific day pickup. They tried for a Monday (even though they called *three times* to say driver available, but not on Monday). Finally found a driver who agreed to Monday pickup then called 2 hours away at 7p in the evening to say on the way, then an hour later called to say "had a flat, be there by 11p". Windsor was at least honest in saying they could not guarantee a specific day pickup.

I ended up flying up, renting a U-Haul truck and trailer and driving it home myself: $743 + gas.

Windsor Auto Transport: www.windsorautotransport.com, 760-898-6824

I used New Way transport for the 72 q code from salt lake city, Utah to tampa 'florida $1200. .

This is the second time I have used them, no issue at all

Car arrived today. $1100, poor communication, 3 weeks of messing with it almost daily. Driver showed up a day early with 4 hours notice. It worked out, as I worked nights this week.

Driver was friendly, helped me push it into my drive from the street.

Posting just for future reference. I wish I'd known this earlier! If you use Hagerty for your auto insurance, 10% off transport is good to know.

Back