Tree Rats

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

Just replaced the 2 batteries in my truck about two weeks ago. I notice that the insulation jacket around them was eaten up some. Pick up some critter repellant and spayed all over the engine compartment.  Left the house today to go to Lowes and my wife called me and said there was a dead squirrel in the drive way where my truck was parked at.  Got to Lowes and opened the hood.  I guess the pictures say the rest!

Kilgon,

I've heard from a few people that have rat problems, that rats don't like those dryer sheets that you put in the clothes dryer ( the smell?). Not sure if it works on squirrels, but try throwing a few of those in specific places under your hood . Chime back in if you find this works.

Kilgon,

I've heard from a few people that have rat problems, that rats don't like those dryer sheets that you put in the clothes dryer ( the smell?). Not sure if it works on squirrels, but try throwing a few of those in specific places under your hood . Chime back in if you find this works.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll give it a try.  I'm going to try to patch the top of the battery with some fiberglass cloth and epoxy.  Hate the thought of spending $170 for another battery.   I wonder if the battery warranty would cover it?   :whistling:

What causes that is they put organic fillers in the molded parts that critters like. They will use the dryer sheets for bedding, lol. The reason I say that is that my clothes dryer got to where it too forever to dry but was plenty hot. I went outside and critters had built a nest inside my dryer vent so I do not think the smell will keep the away if they built home in the vent. 

My brother in law and sister were on trip out west and chipmunks at the wiring up in he Chevy PU. Cost $800 to get fixed on the road In South Dakota if I remember right. Mechanic said it was very common on GM vehicles.

If you can remember to unplug it each day get you some of the electronic repelling devices needs 110 volts.  You can find at Lowe's in critter trap area. I use them in the garage and knock on wood none in four years. I keep bags of corn in there for the deer and never had anything get into it. 

You might just put them where you park and leave hooked up to see if it keeps them away.

This might sound cruel but it works. Sorry if I offend anyone with this. I had squirrels getting into my soffit on the shop. They are very destructive little guys. Watched to see where they were climbing up the side of the building at (no trees to jump from). They would climb up the corner trim on the siding. so I sprayed a light coat of cooking spray on and dusted with cayenne pepper. Went out the next day and sure enough about 6 dead squirrels laying around the shop with their eyes scratched out. Haven't had an issue since and has been 2 yrs now.

I have a lot of squirrels around and they don’t get into any of my stuff. The chipmunks are a different story though. It’s always chipmunk hunting season around here, lol. The ones my cat doesn’t get I get with my pellet gun. I watch him hunting for them and it’s a riot. I have seen them tear up all kinds of stuff, but like I said the squirrels don’t get into anything.

I've had squirrels attack my daily drivers and my tractor.

An old farmer at the local car shop told me he had the same problem. John Deere sold him some wire with cayenne or some kind of pepper in the insulation. Sounded like a good idea to me but he just laughed and said we have Mexican squirrels because they ate even more of that wire!

My solution: a shop cat. Had her spayed, give her an annual check-up with rabies shot, monthly flea treatment and a soft bed.

Squirrels, mice, snakes, she gets them all.

Wow that looked very familiar...I had a squirrel build a nest in my old Montana mini van’s engine compartment. They dined on my fuel lines, wiring, and a huge part of my coolant reservoir. Like David said, the auto makers made a lot of parts from soy beans and they knew it was an issue with rodents. The replacement GM parts had a black silhouette of a squirrel on the parts label indicating no soy - or so I was advised. Honda even released a TSB on the problem and you can buy capsaicin laced tape from Honda - part number 4019-2317.

Thanks everyone for the good tips.  I will definitely be trying a few of them.  I have to leave the truck parked outside due to the stang and my wife's car are in the garage.  Made a patch out of fiberglass cloth and epoxy.  Not the prettiest but we will see how well it holds up.    :thankyouyellow:

I have issues with squirrels chewing up my Mulberry tree, and tearing the stuffing out of patio chair pillows. I told one of the neighbors that I was going to get a trap and relocate them all. The neighbor told me she thought that might be illegal. So, I looked it up.

Sure enough...….leave it to the asshole California lawmakers..., there exists a law AGAINST trapping, or relocating, squirrels here, let alone killing them. Wa-What!!!! Just ANOTHER reason that I'll be leaving this state soon! California, it seems, leads the Nation in ridiculous laws and F**ked-up politicians. It's a shame too, this state has such vast beauty, mild weather, you name it,....but eventually, it may become a cesspool like some of the burroughs of New York.

My buddy had a remedy for squirrels invading his 2nd story balcony. He took peanut butter, about the size of a marble, poked his pinkie in to make it into a cup. Filled the cup with tabasco, and sealed it up and left them out for them to find. He said they chowed down until they hit the tabasco, and then were not happy campers. I don't know if it killed them, but he said they didn't come back. Perhaps not fitting for you application, but a measure of revenge...

Back