2 barrel to 4 barrel conversation 351 cleveland

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang hardtop 351c 2v
Spare me if this topic has been beat to death, but I am doing the edelbrock 2750 intake/ edelbrock 1406 4 barrel conversion on a stock 351 Cleveland 2v. Just trying to get some insight on any modifications or additional parts that need to be ordered so I'm not caught with my pants down. Thanks!

The fuel line will need to be re-worked. Vacuum hoses and PVC line will need some re-work too.

Does your carb have a factory solenoid still attached? If so you will need to figure out a way to mount that as well. I am not sure if Edelbrock makes a bracket for that purpose or not.

Holley (style) carbs are typically a little easier to install.

The obvious... intake gaskets, kickdown linkage brackets, a throttle cable ball/stud, carb gasket. The throttle cable bracket will bolt to the new manifold, check the length of the bolts. Still plan on a run to the hardware or parts store.

I have that intake on my 73 vert but I have a Holley. To get the carb to align with the throttle I needed a thick carb plate to raise it up to correct level. It is also a heat insulator to keep heat out of the carb. 

I had to go with a smaller diameter air cleaner to clear the MSD cap. I put a filter cap on the R.H. valve cover and did not plumb a hose to the air cleaner for PVC. I have not found the right elbow to do that but will some day. 

Was talking with my friend that builds cars said about all the guys at the drag strip are running the 2-V heads. One of his friends started with 4-V and switch to 2-V and cut his ET down. Depends on your cam, and engine build what works best no one perfect combination for sure.

Thanks all for the replies, Yes it does still have the factory solenoid, I'll look into the summit and holley options. From my understanding a 600cfm seems about the sweet spot for a stock 351c. Was going to go with edelbrock due to most say it's pretty much dialed in from factory, this is my first classic, so I am learning as I go, as well as from others trials and tribulations. Thanks again.

I did that to mine when I rebuilt it all - no issues, whatsoever.  Carb preference is just that - preference.  My preference happens to be Edelbrock, and I've never been disappointed... especially, since I've never known anybody who has experienced the main body/bowl gasket leaks that Holleys are prone to. ;)

Reworking the fuel line is no big deal - might just want to figure out the routing and get a new hard section tailored to the needs (there's a soft line coming off the stock fuel pump to the hard line that makes its way to the factory carb - bend and flare a new piece accordingly and just replace it... not expensive at all, plus you'll still have the original in case you ever want to put it back).

The rest of the mods mentioned by the other guys are pretty simple and straightforward.

attachment.php

I know half of the stuff you're asking about isn't even hooked up yet in this pic - sorry:

attachment.php

Easy stuff - you got this.

Was going to go with edelbrock due to most say it's pretty much dialed in from factory, this is my first classic, so I am learning as I go, as well as from others trials and tribulations.  Thanks again.
Every carburetor needs to be tuned to the specific engine it's attached to. Don't get sucked into the marketing BS and think you're going to bolt it on and it'll be spot on without tweaking. The 1406 is a good carb, but is calibrated a bit lean. 351Cs don't like lean, so you might want to factor in the cost of the tuning kit to your carb purchase. 

https://edelbrock-instructions-v1.s3.amazonaws.com/edelbrock/carb-tuning-guide.pdf

Tuning kit

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsPageCmd?Ntt=edelbrock+1487&requestYear=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&year=&make=&model=&submodel=&engine=&Nrpp=&No=&persistYmm=false

Here's the kickdown linkage and a plate it says is required.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1483/10002/-1?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-bjyBRCcARIsAFboWg2lXfuwRa7qRRR2E3jJOg3NyjVr0EBSGEiDba6oTdez1G1PopaFcaUaAqmAEALw_wcB

https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1493/10002/-1

Ball stud for the throttle cable

https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/20-2/10002/-1

Thick gasket for manifold, to help prevent heat soak

https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/9265/10002/-1

I can't speak to the kick down linkage, since I ditched my FMX in favor of an AOD with a factory TV cable, but the ball stud for the throttle cable actually came with the carb (along with some other throttle cable adapter solutions) - I'm using the original factory throttle cable since it was one of the only things that still worked and was in good condition when I got the car.

Thanks for the links regarding the other adapter parts though - good info to have.  ::thumb::

go with a holley/quick fuel carb. Edelbrocks are junk. Sorry if this offends anyone but speaking from personal experience.
No offense taken, but I would ask why you feel that way. 

My experience with Holleys comes from having to rebuild a couple of double-pumpers that leaked like sieves (until rebuilt, that is).  Edelbrocks are constructed in such a manner that 'just sitting there leaking' will never be an issue (the potential for leaking while running plagues any carburetor, of course).

As I mentioned before: preference is preference, and I know I'm not going to try to change anybody's minds regarding carb choice - I'm just curious as to why the hate for Edelbrocks (again, mine have been flawless performers... and I am nowhere close to being any kind of a carb and/or tuning expert).

Maybe it is me but I have had nothing but problems getting AFR right on an Edelbrock on anything other than a very mild or stock engine. I fell the Holley platform offers far more tunability and fine tuning when dealing with a performance build to maximize the engine performance. Plus I will agree that it is a preference and familiarity thing as well.

Fair enough.  Sometimes this works for that guy, and that works for this guy.  It's all good.   ::thumb::

Here's an interesting thing I've come across, regarding the Edelbrock carbs. Although the Edelbrock carb is based on the Carter AFB, something has changed, in that, the AFB runs much better than the Edelbrock. I know, I know, AFBs made by Carter carburetor haven't been made for years, but If you have one, it's a good carb, and the Competition Series AFB is even better yet. I personally am running a Holley currently and have no problems. If I had an Autolite 4100 600 cfm carb, I'd have no problem in using that as well, although, I believe Ford stopped putting that model carb on cars somewhere around '67-'68. The only issue with the 4100 is that the underside has recesses that will cause severe vacuum leaks on most aftermarket intake manifolds. Holley once built a one-piece body 4 barrel that metered like a traditional Holley, but had a no-leak body like the Edelbrock/AFB. That carb was bought by Summit, and now is marketed by Summit as their own, and it's a good carb as well.

Back