Speedmaster 4V Iron heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
Has anybody used these heads? I was poking around on Ebay and found these Iron 4V heads, part# PCE281.2103 by Speedmaster, claims they are 64cc comb. chamber, and 254cc Intake throat and they are already machined for screw in studs. At $1300 with valves and guides looks like it may be a good deal. Just not sure about the Speedmaster name!

Last edited by a moderator:
RUN!!! Anything SPEEDMASTER, PROCOMP, ECT is chinese knock off junk. I wouldn't touch them. Buy good quality valve train parts once. Or buy cheap knock off stuff and have a good chance of destroying a complete motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody used these heads? I was poking around on Ebay and found these Iron 4V heads, part# PCE281.2103 by Speedmaster, claims they are 64cc comb. chamber, and 254cc Intake throat and they are already machined for screw in studs. At $1300 with valves and guides looks like it may be a good deal. Just not sure about the Speedmaster name!
Completely agree with Turtle on anything Speedmaster or ProComp. They are a bottom feeder in the performance parts industry. 

IMO, you can outfit a set of original 4V heads for close to the same money and not have to wonder if the parts will fail. 

That said, there are people that have run the aluminum heads and reported good results, but you use only the bare heads, throw all the hardware from the assembled heads in the trash. There are also reports of valve seat failures and coolant leaks from under the seats.

You get what you pay for.

Think about it- how much R&D, quality control, raw material quality and everything else is compromised to get the part to market at a rock bottom price?

You may pay peanuts for heads and your engine will run but what are you leaving on the table for performance?

They are iron. As was mentioned, take the $1400 and spend it on OEM iron heads. You will be many HP ahead in the long run...

Back