• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Need Motor Mounts ASAP

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
In desperate need of motor mounts for a 73 Mach 1 fastback 351c with a manual trans. I know of a restoration place in CA but they have a month turn around time. I'm on the clock because the guy helping me can get the motor in next weekend. Anyone have a line on a set?  Thanks

Another option (what I did) is switch the pedestals to a set from a 71-72. then you can use the 71-72 mounts that are readily available. the 71-72 mounts also leave a little more room for headers.

Another option (what I did) is switch the pedestals to a set from a 71-72. then you can use the 71-72 mounts that are readily available. the 71-72 mounts also leave a little more room for headers.
So as long as I get the respective frame mounts from the 71-72 all would be well? would any kind of height difference effect what I'm trying to do here? Would it make my trans sit higher than what it already would? Even with my factory mounts I might have to modify my trans tunnel. If those mounts put me higher it could be a real problem.

Change out the frame mounts to 71-72 and use 71-72 motor mounts and the engine will set at same height as it would with the 73 frame mounts and 73 motor mounts.

The '73 frame perches are shorter than the ones from '71-'72, so you can use the '71-72 motor mounts with the '73 perches to lower the engine a 1/2" or so. The '73 mounts with the '73 perches put the engine at the same height as the '71-'72 perches and mounts.

There's more information in this thread with pictures on posts 6 and 21

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fan-shroud--31440

The '73 frame perches are shorter than the ones from '71-'72, so you can use the '71-72 motor mounts with the '73 perches to lower the engine a 1/2" or so. The '73 mounts with the '73 perches put the engine at the same height as the '71-'72 perches and mounts.

There's more information in this thread with pictures on posts 6 and 21

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fan-shroud--31440
Ok...so we're saying I can just use my existing frame mounts and just buy 71-72 engine mounts without consequence other than the motor sitting a 1/2" lower? The drop might actually be in my favor with regards to my TKO and trans tunnel. Or just buy a whole 71-72 mount set and call it done...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are correct. Lowering the engine may cause fitment issues with the exhaust/headers.

Something else you need to take into consideration, the '71-'72 mounts are not the "safety" style mandated by the Feds in 1973. They can pull apart, allowing the engine to tip to the passenger side during acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:
So as long as I get the respective frame mounts from the 71-72 all would be well? would any kind of height difference effect what I'm trying to do here? Would it make my trans sit higher than what it already would? Even with my factory mounts I might have to modify my trans tunnel. If those mounts put me higher it could be a real problem.
I have a set of 73 mounts.

Yes, you are correct. Lowering the engine may cause fitment issues with the exhaust/headers.

Something else you need to take into consideration, the '71-'72 mounts are not the "safety" style mandated by the Feds in 1973. They can pull apart, allowing the engine to tip to the passenger side during acceleration.
You can get captive style mounts for the 71-72 perches. I think Energy Suspension makes them?

my '73 302 sat low in the fan shroud. someone mix matched the mounts. I got '71/72 frame and engine mounts and now sits correct. don't recall how high it moved up maybe 1/2 in or so.

my '73 302 sat low in the fan shroud.  someone mix matched the mounts. I got '71/72 frame and engine mounts and now sits correct. don't recall how high it moved up maybe 1/2 in or so.
I think based on what others are saying here if you used the correct frame mounts for your 7172 motor mounts the height should be the same as your 73 with its correct mounts. Think I'm just going to source some 7172 frame mounts and get the motor mounts that Tony-muscle has.

my '73 302 sat low in the fan shroud.  someone mix matched the mounts. I got '71/72 frame and engine mounts and now sits correct. don't recall how high it moved up maybe 1/2 in or so.
I think based on what others are saying here if you used the correct frame mounts for your 7172 motor mounts the height should be the same as your 73 with its correct mounts. Think I'm just going to source some 7172 frame mounts and get the motor mounts that Tony-muscle has.
I have some 71-2 frame mounts and 73 motor mounts

While we're on the subject of motor mounts, I bought a set of 71/72's from Rock Auto when I was redoing the engine and bay a few years back. They were pretty cheap..... and for a reason. They were made in India. As far as the size and appearance was ok, looked to be well made, but looks can be deceiving. The flat area that bolts against the motor was NOT flat as it should be, but curved. I could have used a press to flatten them out, but as my originals were still looking good, I decided to "temporarily" re-use them. They are still in there some 4 years later, so maybe time for inspection. 

My point, buyer be ware!

The Prothanes are captive for 1971. That's what I have.

The ones on the left are the Prothanes.

Tony, that is just WRONG ... that work bench is too clean and nice looking

It needs to have crap piled all over it :chin: or is that just me :whistling:

Back