vendor choices

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
One thing that drew me to Mustang (Ford) this time around over my prior classic cars (AMC) is the abundance of parts and repro parts.  As I am not going for 100% correct this time I am thrilled with repro parts.  I see MANY vendors out there, NPSD, CJ, Ohio Mustangs and many more.  Are there any to avoid?   I see from a prior post that Scott Drake products (that seem to be everywhere) may not be the best choice of parts.  Thoughts? thanks

I have been burned and given the run around by CJ pony parts in the past. Would not do business with them again. I would say 99% of the stuff i buy anymore comes from Don at OMS. Cant say enough good things about him and he is a site supporter. Even helped me out with parts bought from CJPP when they wouldn't help.

I have been burned and given the run around by CJ pony parts in the past. Would not do business with them again. I would say 99% of the stuff i buy anymore comes from Don at OMS. Cant say enough good things about him and he is a site supporter. Even helped me out with parts bought from CJPP when they wouldn't help.
Same here. Don has helped me with parts i got from CJP. CJP can be tempting some times because they have a good deal but that edge is not that much anymore plus half the time you buy something thats discounted is not in stock and you have to wait an unknown amount of time. Don is helpful, gives you support and his prices are as competitive as any other vendor.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have been burned and given the run around by CJ pony parts in the past. Would not do business with them again.  I would say 99% of the stuff i buy  anymore comes from Don at OMS.  Cant say enough good things about him and he is a site supporter. Even helped me out with parts bought from CJPP when they wouldn't help.
Same here. Don has helped me with parts i got from CJP. CJP can be tempting some times because they have a good deal but that edge is not that much anymore plus half the time you buy something thats discounted is not in stock and you have to wait an unknown amount of time. Don is helpful, gives you support and his prices are as competitive as any other vendor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yes sir same story every time.

Since I am about 100 miles from Charlotte I use NPD for most things. I have posted comments a couple times and received emails and calls from the owner the next day. They had an error in their catalog. He even sent me some pics of the last Cougar convertible built that they have in Charlotte. It has just a few miles on it so all original. 

Sometimes Daniel Carpenter has so great deals on his ebay store. He sells tail light lens and frames for half price if they have glue of the trim is loose on them. Glue comes right off and if you are doing a 71 - 72 with the trim off much easier to do the black paint. 

Just never toss anything thinking you can go buy another.

I always check OMS first before ordering anything - Don's been phenomenal in getting me what I've needed over the years... plus, he's a really cool guy.  If he doesn't have it or can't get it, I'll check NPD and CJPP, usually in that order.

My only complaint with CJPP is that they sometimes have stuff back-ordered, but will not offer any kind of indication of such.  I'd ordered something from them, expecting delivery within a week or so, and no-show... then another week, and into the third week I contacted customer service to receive the bad news of the part(s) being on back order, with a several month wait.  Ummm - refund my money and I'll get it somewhere else.  They were cool about that, but it seemed like a bit of hassle that could've been avoided with a simple note, or even an update to their website (OMS indicates non-availability, for instance).

I haven't noticed any quality issues with Scott Drake parts, other than a few highly sought after parts still not offered.  It seems like Daniel Carpenter and Scott Drake are probably the best repop parts out there for our cars.  Gotta keep in mind that they are indeed re-manufactured parts, so results may vary slightly since these cars have been standing the rigors of time (things distort a bit over the years on the cars - even some OEM or NOS parts might not fit exactly like they did from the factory).

Don at OMS is first choice every time. He knows these cars and which parts are good and which ones are not. He is also a good source for parts that are not reproduced. Chuck

Used to shop Mustangs Unlimited as they were local for the hard or expensive to ship items, but they're out of business so that's off the table. I do have a local place that specializes in sheetmetal repair and body panels.

Don @OMS has always treated me well, I bought parts off Don before he was officially Ohio Mustang.

NPD is another good vendor. Their free print catalog is second to none. The website is okay, but easy to search for parts if you know the base part #.

I don’t understand why CJ pony parts has an “ask a question” feature on their website. You can ask a question, but hell will freeze over before they answer it.

Who I buy from depends on what level of service I am looking for. Can’t go wrong with OMS, but often everything I need isn’t available from him. For one stop shopping I normally go with NPD- but they are not flawless. I had a pretty crappy return experience with NPD where they sent me something incomplete, and it was difficult to get them to take it back and refund- in fact I think they refused a refund and gave me credit.

Add my vote for Don at Ohio Mustang for all of the before-mentioned reasons.

In addition, Don knows these particular Mustangs himself, based upon personal experience. He is no arm chair General. And, he'll go the 2nd mile.

The difference between contacting Don for help vs. going to the large suppliers is the difference between going to the local hardware stare where they know you, your name, will talk to you like a human being, and try to find what you need vs. going to Home Depot and going home with the wrong part.

Nuff said.

Don at OMS is first choice every time. He knows these cars and which parts are good and which ones are not. He is also a good source for parts that are not reproduced. Chuck

In the beginning 1.5 years ago I started to rebuild my stang. Fast forward to yesterday when DON told me they no longer carry the power steering hoses because......THEY ARE NOT MADE CORRECTLY. So..........there you go, honesty.

Mike @ Motor City Mustang has went above and beyond for me and Sally my wife many times. Thank you guys for making this mustang build possible for my wife and I.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice from everyone above, but I have also had good luck finding original parts with Motor City Mustang.  Also a site supporter.

kcmash

The first place that I always go to is Don at OMS. He has always been straightforward with me, and if he did not carry what I was looking for he gave me suggestions on where to go for them. I’m certain that the other vendors mentioned prior to me are also good, but for me the process of contacting Don has always been easy and had good results.

First choice, Don...second choice, Don...third choice, Don...fourth...you get the idea!

I had bad experiences with CJPooperPieces VERY BAD customer service and don't order from MAC's (Eckler) parts were never shipped, in fact 1 order still pending. 

I also had some very positive transactions with Mike @ Motorcity.

NPD for convenience and free shipping over $350, I believe. I usually order in large batches and pick up in Buffalo. I recently had an issue with a 351C thermostat I bought from them. I purchased two of the correct thermostat’s, expensive at $35 ea. They sent me one correct unit and one standard fare thermostat that goes for $10 at any local supplier. When I contacted them, they got back to me right away and refunded the $$. They did not ask for me to return the wrong thermostat...  OMS has been good to deal with also, very knowledgeable on these car’s. I do still have to talk to him about an NOS Mustang antenna he sold me back in 2002... CJ Parts is a last resort for me...

Great advice from everyone above, but I have also had good luck finding original parts with Motor City Mustang.  Also a site supporter.

kcmash
Agreed. Ohio Mustang Supply is my first choice.  But Mike Berardi at MotorCityMustang (also his username on here) has good used stuff too.  They pull stuff off parts cars and clean it up.  See their eBay store under same name.

Don and Mike.  Two of the best sources for parts by far.

Ray

Back