Aod shifter help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mwcopper

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang
I recently installed a aod transmission in my 72 after installing im having trouble finding a shifter bracket that will allow me to hook my shift cable to my trans and shift correctly. I'm running a b&m hammer shifter. The main problem is the headers are to close to the trans to allow the b&m bracket to be bolted to the trans pan. The headers are flowmaster ceramic coated. Any suggestions or pics of your shifter bracket would be appreciated.

Mine is in there really tight between the Hooker header and AOD as well.  So far, no issues, and it's been in there since 2012-ish, actually running shortly after.  That might be one of the reasons they suggest going with the Lokar kit, which reverses the direction of the AOD's shift lever orientation (from down to up - effectively changing direction to allow use with a factory shifter), and has a different bracket as well.

How do you like the Hammer?  I've always wanted a Megashifter, but have only seen one of those installed in our vehicles (a member here, in fact).  The Hammer shifter at least has an AOD-specific model so I wouldn't have to change anything under the car.  My AOD came complete from an '89 5.0 vert, and I modified the AOD factory shifter to work in my '71 Mach 1.  It still looks a little clunky, and I'm thinking of getting a Hammer to replace it.

I'll see if I can dig up any pics - my factory AOD bracket got cut apart, then welded back together while I was trying out a couple of different tranny cross members - I'm surprised it still even works, to be honest.  I'd love to see how the Hammer looks in your car.

I recently installed a aod transmission in my 72 after installing im having trouble finding a shifter bracket that will allow me to hook my shift cable to my trans and shift correctly. I'm running a b&m hammer shifter. The main problem is the headers are to close to the trans to allow the b&m bracket to be bolted to the trans pan. The headers are flowmaster ceramic coated. Any suggestions or pics of your shifter bracket would be appreciated.
Just invert it, put it uppside down. Like this. This is on a 4r70 but should wotk fine on the AOD/E

Just invert it, put it uppside down. Like this. This is on a 4r70 but should wotk fine on the AOD/E

I dont know if that would work on the aod you have the tv cable lever in that spot.

Mine is in there really tight between the Hooker header and AOD as well.  So far, no issues, and it's been in there since 2012-ish, actually running shortly after.  That might be one of the reasons they suggest going with the Lokar kit, which reverses the direction of the AOD's shift lever orientation (from down to up - effectively changing direction to allow use with a factory shifter), and has a different bracket as well.

How do you like the Hammer?  I've always wanted a Megashifter, but have only seen one of those installed in our vehicles (a member here, in fact).  The Hammer shifter at least has an AOD-specific model so I wouldn't have to change anything under the car.  My AOD came complete from an '89 5.0 vert, and I modified the AOD factory shifter to work in my '71 Mach 1.  It still looks a little clunky, and I'm thinking of getting a Hammer to replace it.

I'll see if I can dig up any pics - my factory AOD bracket got cut apart, then welded back together while I was trying out a couple of different tranny cross members - I'm surprised it still even works, to be honest.  I'd love to see how the Hammer looks in your car.

I love my hammershifter. I will snap a pic next time im in the car for ya. I think im going to have to modify the b&m bracket for mine to work the headers and exhaust are just way to close to even get the bracket in there.

I dont know if that would work on the aod you have the tv cable lever in that spot.
Yes you are right I forgot th TV Cable, sorry

Back