Weird Buzzing Sound From Passenger Seat

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
When I open either door to the car, there is a weird buzzing sound that comes from the actual passenger seat. If I fold the seat forward, it stops. What the heck is this? I'm assuming like some sort of chime or warning, but why in the passenger seat, and what should it really sound like? That low level buzzing can't be right. Thanks!

Went away when I pulled one of the connectors under the seat. When I did that, the light under the dash on the pass. side came on for the first time. Definitely some sort of issue there. Just going to have to hunt it down.

Went away when I pulled one of the connectors under the seat. When I did that, the light under the dash on the pass. side came on for the first time. Definitely some sort of issue there. Just going to have to hunt it down.
Huh? Maybe seat belt alarm? Door ajar? Something from the convenience package. If you take the glove box out and look above it. There will be a place where all those convenience stuff is at. If you unplug one at a time you will find what it is thats tooting its horn :)  That will give you a pretty good idea where to start the tracking.

Huh? Maybe seat belt alarm? Door ajar? Something from the convenience package. If you take the glove box out and look above it. There will be a place where all those convenience stuff is at. If you unplug one at a time you will find what it is thats tooting its horn :)  That will give you a pretty good idea where to start the tracking.
I think it has to do with the passenger seat pressure switch that tells the car someone is in the passenger seat and to show the "Fasten Seat Belt" Light.

The seat switch should only set off the light and buzzer when someone is sitting in the seat and the car is not in park

It is only two wires so it would be easy to rig up a couple of jumper wires to do some testing with the key on and then taking the car out of park

The clue that leads me to think maybe you have automatic seat release system is,  it does it when you open either door

That is when the solenoid would active for both seat back levers

Is there another set of wires under each seat

I’m with OMS: I think it’s the seat back release buzzing since it happens when you open a door. Easy to check — Reconnect the plug then watch from behind as both doors are opened. Any difference in the latches?

Last edited by a moderator:
So when I touch the top of the seat, without even much pressure the noise goes away. I raise my hand off the seat it comes back. And like I said, when I unplugged it a courtesy light under the dash came on. I believe it to be a broken or faulty pressure switch that is shorting to ground. I do not see any presence of solenoids or moving latches on the back of the seats when the doors are opened.

So when I touch the top of the seat, without even much pressure the noise goes away. I raise my hand off the seat it comes back. And like I said, when I unplugged it a courtesy light under the dash came on. I believe it to be a broken or faulty pressure switch that is shorting to ground. I do not see any presence of solenoids or moving latches on the back of the seats when the doors are opened.
It's the automatic seat back release solenoid as the others have stated. It's bolted inside the upper seat back, so you'd need to remove the back cover to see it.

Back