Ram air cleaner color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
The ram air base (with the rubber gasket that seals to the hood), should that be black or Ford blue?  It is currently black, snorkle is gone but from the pictures of engine bays I have seen most are blue.  Image is of what I have when I bought it, it is blurry because I had to blow up the small picture.

Thanks

Pretty sure it's supposed to be engine color - Ford Corporate Blue in most cases.

Mine will be 'Old Ford Blue,' since that's the color I painted my block & heads - I didn't know any better at the time, but mine's a restomod anyway. ;)

Hello jscott,

As Eric and Don stated, the air cleaner assembly is painted the same color as the engine. Ford did have a service part number for Corporate Blue engine paint in quart, and 16oz spray, but was discontinued in 1991. This paint was listed for 1966 through1980 model years. There will always be shade differences in the OE blue engine paint since these are mass-produced vehicles and engines. Paint batch differences and engines painted at different engine plants add to the variables. So everyone more than likely has their favorite version of the 66/ Ford blue.

There again personal preference. I've always used Plasti-Kote #224. Having been involved in many engine projects over the years for friends and myself, I found this color best matched the blue that was on the engines we pulled.

Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply would be a good place to start or if you have your favorite source such as NPD, Eastwood, etc you could give them a call.  :)

original unrestored 71 ram air cleaner housing

I agree with all on the color. They make a very heat resistant ceramic base engine paint now. There should be correct color for your parts. Looks like maybe that is a Dynacorn repo RA. They make the lid a different shape for some reason. They also come with black e-coat on them. Also you said you are missing the snorkel they are the same on a standard air cleaner so you can use one of them.

The RA did not get a decal on it. I see lots of people putting a 70 model decal on which is not correct.

Back