Rear sway bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
I have been trying to install the Addco 990 rear sway bar in my 72 Mach 1. It has the factory 1/2” bar and the 990 is a 7/8” replacement. It’s supposed to be a direct replacement for the factory one, with no modifications necessary. 

Well the one I got is about 1 1/2” to wide where the bushings mount it to the frame rails. The center line of the holes for the end links are a good 3/4” wider too. I just can’t understand why they only give you a very narrow space one the new bar for the frame bushing mounts. So when I bolted one side on, the other side was outside the frame rail a good 1 1/2. And when I would get the end links straight up and down one one side the other was leaning out towards the wheel quite a bit. I took it back out cause it just doesn’t fit. Damn it!

Has anyone else run into this before with this bar? Pretty sure I got the correct one. Here’s a couple pics of the new and old one together. I have the frame mounts where they were in the car on the old bar. And they are about as far inward as possible on the new bar. I’m sure you can see what I mean. I thought I could maybe enlarge the bracket holes, but there’s no way.

I have been trying to install the Addco 990 rear sway bar in my 72 Mach 1. It has the factory 1/2” bar and the 990 is a 7/8” replacement. It’s supposed to be a direct replacement for the factory one, with no modifications necessary. 

Well the one I got is about 1 1/2” to wide where the bushings mount it to the frame rails. The center line of the holes for the end links are a good 3/4” wider too. I just can’t understand why they only give you a very narrow space one the new bar for the frame bushing mounts. So when I bolted one side on, the other side was outside the frame rail a good 1 1/2. And when I would get the end links straight up and down one one side the other was leaning out towards the wheel quite a bit. I took it back out cause it just doesn’t fit. Damn it!

Has anyone else run into this before with this bar? Pretty sure I got the correct one. Here’s a couple pics of the new and old one together. I have the frame mounts where they were in the car on the old bar. And they are about as far inward as possible on the new bar. I’m sure you can see what I mean. I thought I could maybe enlarge the bracket holes, but there’s no way.

John, I just saw this a minute ago or I'd have replied sooner.

Now I remember I did have a bit of trouble fitting the 7/8" bar, but only where the fuel vapor return line is. I needed to alter the mount for the hose by using a longer bolt and a spacer. I had no problem fitting to the frame and I do have a pic that shows that... sort of.

I can see from this pic that the bushing mount is really favoring the inside of the bend. I am really having problems with that on  both sides. I just didn’t seem right, but I found some different mounts that I can use with the new bushings. I’ll see if that works I guess. Thanks

I tried again to fit this sway bar in, but not happy with it. Both end links lean out some and forward too. I think they should be pretty much vertical? It’s just seems to wide. It’s actually about 1” an inch wider than the stock one, which leaves about an inch from the insides of the tires. Kinda close and if I ever put a wider tire on now it’s even closer. I only have P235-60R15’s on 7” wide rims.

I ended up calling addco and talked to a couple guys about it yesterday. They asked for some pics of the old one and some of the new next to each other, so I sent a few. They did comment on how different the bars are and wanted me to talk to someone else today. I got a text today instead from the guy I sent the pics to and he said he would have to get back to me tomorrow. He said he need to get some more measurements, so they are checking this out I guess.

Here’s a couple pics of the sway bar bushing that is jammed into the bend of the bar and how the end links are leaning. I’ll let you know what they say.

I tried again to fit this sway bar in, but not happy with it. Both end links lean out some and forward too. I think they should be pretty much vertical? It’s just seems to wide. It’s actually about 1” an inch wider than the stock one, which leaves about an inch from the insides of the tires. Kinda close and if I ever put a wider tire on now it’s even closer. I only have P235-60R15’s on 7” wide rims.

I ended up calling addco and talked to a couple guys about it yesterday. They asked for some pics of the old one and some of the new next to each other, so I sent a few. They did comment on how different the bars are and wanted me to talk to someone else today. I got a text today instead from the guy I sent the pics to and he said he would have to get back to me tomorrow. He said he need to get some more measurements, so they are checking this out I guess.

Here’s a couple pics of the sway bar bushing that is jammed into the bend of the bar and how the end links are leaning. I’ll let you know what they say.

John, I'm still without my computer, so on the wife's tablet. The fit at the brackets looks about the same. I'll  measure my original bar tomorrow and compare it to the Addco 990 and let you know. Sorry I can't  be of more help right now, but I don't  think you'll  have any real problems.

Sent you a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got off the phone with Addco. They want me to send them my factory sway bar and of course they are paying postage there and back. They want to make this bar correct. I even suggested that they make it in 3/4” instead of 7/8. I’m going to send them mine and see what they can do. I was a bit surprised, thought I would just get the runaround, but seems like they do care! I will keep you guys posted on what happens.

Just got off the phone with Addco. They want me to send them my factory sway bar and of course they are paying postage there and back. They want to make this bar correct. I even suggested that they make it in 3/4” instead of 7/8. I’m going to send them mine and see what they can do. I was a bit surprised, thought I would just get the runaround, but seems like they do care! I will keep you guys posted on what happens.
That's great.

So,  why did Addco NOT DO THAT TO START WITH.? Yes ,for sure it was not a perfect fit, but I've had no issues with mine. Still no computer till next week, got to buy a new one, then I'll be able to reply better.

So,  why did Addco NOT DO THAT TO START WITH.? Yes ,for sure it was not a perfect fit, but I've had no issues with mine. Still no computer till next week, got to buy a new one, then I'll be able to reply better.
I don’t know why they didn’t make it more like the original. But it sure sounds like they want to correct it.

Well, the way it fits on mine is not as good. The bushings are really jammed on the inside bends, especially on the passenger side. I don’t think it should be this way, I can’t get the splits in the bushings to close all the way up. I think they would wear out way to soon and I don’t see how the bar can rotate properly. I’m sure you can see this in the pics I posted earlier.

My guess is they originally designed it off a factory piece, but over the last 50 years, something was lost. I've seen it plenty of times with migrating from paper to CAD, and 2D to 3D manufacturing drawings. A simple dimensional error can cause exactly what you're seeing.

Must be the first one ever sold to find this out now

JPAZ sorry you went through this, BUT GLAD YOU WENT THROUGH this effort to show, send to them and FIX for you. My guess is you really want a performance bar .....but at the same time IF it wasn't going to work your money back !! (I was going to offer you can come here and have a Boss 351 bar - but I tend to keep those for restorations)

Many vendors that just resell parts from China , have so much profit ratio -they don't care and say "just keep" we'll give you your money back. But we all know that doesn't help the next guy (next 100 guys) !! There are MANY parts that fit (pun intended) this category - or are poor copies. SOME fall into the category "fits" ! LOL

Thanks again for the effort for all

Mark

JPAZ sorry you went through this, BUT GLAD YOU WENT THROUGH this effort to show, send to them and FIX for you.  My guess is you really want a performance bar .....but at the same time IF it wasn't going to work your money back !!    (I was going to offer you can come here and have a Boss 351 bar - but I tend to keep those for restorations)

Many vendors that just resell parts from China , have so much profit ratio -they don't care and say "just keep" we'll give you your money back.  But we all know that doesn't help the next guy (next 100 guys) !!  There are MANY parts that fit (pun intended) this category - or are poor copies.  SOME fall into the category "fits" !  LOL

Thanks again for the effort for all

Mark
Thanks Mark for the offer about the boss bar. I recently put Addco’s 1 1/8” bar on the front and wanted to add the one on back to complement the front.

It sounds like they may make me a prototype one in 3/4”, we’ll have to see yet. I gave them some more pics and suggestions for a new one. Hopefully they can work it out.

If you or anyone else has any recommendations on this let me know and I will pass it on to them.

Happy to get this resolved so no one else has any problems with this.

John

I don’t know why they didn’t make it more like the original. But it sure sounds like they want to correct it.

Well, the way it fits on mine is not as good. The bushings are really jammed on the inside bends, especially on the passenger side. I don’t think it should be this way, I can’t get the splits in the bushings to close all the way up. I think they would wear out way to soon and I don’t see how the bar can rotate properly. I’m sure you can see this in the pics I posted earlier.
  Ok, I'm up and running on the 'new' computer. Yeaah! 

You raise a very good point about bushings not fitting as they should and wearing out. To be honest, i did not pay that much attention when I put mine in. Yes it was obviously not as the original and I was more concerned about the fuel vapor return line at the time. So, when the time comes (soon I hope) to put the axle back in, I'm definitely going to look at this issue.

Did you happen to check your frame rail dimension against the number I sent you, 41 1/4" outside to outside (as best as I could measure laying on my back with a tape measure!) 

Your pictures suggest that the overall width at the eyes is about the same as mine, so that ought not be an issue with tire clearance unless your wheels are much wider. Until I get mine axle back in, I can't say how much clearance I have with 8" Magnum rims.

Ok, I'm up and running on the 'new' computer. Yeaah! 

You raise a very good point about bushings not fitting as they should and wearing out. To be honest, i did not pay that much attention when I put mine in. Yes it was obviously not as the original and I was more concerned about the fuel vapor return line at the time. So, when the time comes (soon I hope) to put the axle back in, I'm definitely going to look at this issue.

Did you happen to check your frame rail dimension against the number I sent you, 41 1/4" outside to outside (as best as I could measure laying on my back with a tape measure!) 

Your pictures suggest that the overall width at the eyes is about the same as mine, so that ought not be an issue with tire clearance unless your wheels are much wider. Until I get mine axle back in, I can't say how much clearance I have with 8" Magnum rims.
Glad to hear you finally got back up and running!

I didn’t measure outside to outside of the frame rails, I measured the center to center of them, that’s where the mounts are. Anyway mine is 40 1/2”, and I’m sure that could vary a bit, but the original shape of the bar gave you plenty of mounting area compared to the repo.

I didn’t measure outside to outside of the frame rails, I measured the center to center of them, that’s where the mounts are. Anyway mine is 40 1/2”, and I’m sure that could vary a bit, but the original shape of the bar gave you plenty of mounting area compared to the repo.
  Jpaz, it was just easier for me under the car on my own to just measure as I did. However, just for you, I crawled under the car in the almost freezing cold garage to get a better measurement and I concur, 40.5" to the front bolt center. So your frame is as mine. And yes, the repo bar could have been made to allow more straight area for the mount brackets. It WILL be interesting to hear what Addco have to say. My guess is that these bars were designed with the intent on being used on other non-Ford (maybe) vehicles............ or not and they just screwed up.

Jpaz, it was just easier for me under the car on my own to just measure as I did. However, just for you, I crawled under the car in the almost freezing cold garage to get a better measurement and I concur, 40.5" to the front bolt center. So your frame is as mine. And yes, the repo bar could have been made to allow more straight area for the mount brackets. It WILL be interesting to hear what Addco have to say. My guess is that these bars were designed with the intent on being used on other non-Ford (maybe) vehicles............ or not and they just screwed up.
Thanks Geoff, but you sure didn’t have crawl back under your car. I figured the measurements would be close to what I have and they sound the same. Thanks again for checking it out!

Thanks Geoff, but you sure didn’t have crawl back under your car. I figured the measurements would be close to what I have and they sound the same. Thanks again for checking it out!
 John, you're welcome and really, i was just messin with you. I figured you'd calculate to find the center dimension.

Back