What's missing from my '72 coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang hardtop 351c 2v
Hey guys, picked up this '72 coupe with a 351c a few months back. This is my first attempt at a classic restoration. I have seen quite a few pictures of this year/model and most look like a true muscle car, however when I look at mine it almost looks like a completely different body style. Just wondering what's holding my car back, paint, wheels, ride height, trim, my ugly mug. Thanks all, any help is appreciated. 

Start with the wheels, black ain't cutting it IMO and are rear tires sticking outside the wheel wells? Picture of the rear tires makes it more 4 x 4 ish, but it could be the angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll agree with the wheels. The centers just disappear and provide no depth. Even if you just matched them front and rear it would help.

IMO, a car doesn't have to be all jack-assed up in the rear like pic #1, with bits tacked all over it to look "musclecar". I prefer a more "purposeful" look, that's akin to "speak softly and carry a big stick".

What are you all planning to do to the car as far as restoration goes? As stated above, I'm not a fan of the wheels and tires. The white on the rockers does not look right, neither do the white stripes. As far as stance what are you looking for? I'm not a fan of the jacked up ass end. I prefer a lowered stance. If you are not repainting the car try buffing out the paint as it looks kind of dull in the photo and a goo shine will make it pop as well. If you are repainting the car as part of the restoration go with a color that pops that you like. Hope this helps.

As far as restoration goes, it will just be rebuilt for a weekend driver, with a few performance upgrades along the way, Also plan on a decent paint job, making it one solid color. I'm definitely for getting rid of the white, as I feel its dividing the car up in a unnatural way, not sure what the previous owner was going for. Hadn't thought about the wheels/rim's tho, and will definitely look into that. I'm also with you guys on jacking up the rear, my main concern is the flow of the car is way off, I believe the paint and rims are playing major roles in that as you guys have mentioned, and yes the rear tire sticks of the wheelwell about an inch, really digging the stance on your ride 73pony. Thanks all!

As far as restoration goes, it will just be rebuilt for a weekend driver, with a few performance upgrades along the way, Also plan on a decent paint job, making it one solid color. I'm definitely for getting rid of the white, as I feel its dividing the car up in a unnatural way, not sure what the previous owner was going for. Hadn't thought about the wheels/rim's tho, and will definitely look into that.  I'm also with you guys on jacking up the rear, my main concern is the flow of the car is way off,  I believe the paint and rims are playing major roles in that as you guys have mentioned, and yes the rear tire sticks of the wheelwell about an inch, really digging the stance on your ride 73pony. Thanks all!
Thanks.

I have 1" lowering springs in front and reverse eye 4.5 leaf springs in the rear. 17x9 rims.

Here are a couple of pics of my coupe, maybe get some ideas of what a hood and wheels look like
4dd4658e2acd2542d9ce9ce33234cfd8.jpg
c74336c220b9e1357077009221553deb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at as many pictures as you can find, decide what you like best, and go for it. It's your car and whatever you do to it you'll likely be stuck with it for a while, not that easy or cheap to make major changes, so make sure it's what you want. It's nice to get opinions, maybe get you to think about things you hadn't considered, but it's your car and do what you want with it. Some folks will like it and some won't, that's just the way it is.

Even with the wheels you have, maybe some chrome lugs nuts and center cap? Something to accent and show depth. Could also paint them a lighter color. That is if you like the design (hard to see as they are very dark in the image).

Back